794     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 715     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 529     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a small face lift for #4 (now use bold typeface, wider letter spacing to look more like real subway station names).

old
logo04.jpg

new
logo04a.jpg

Re logos. As someone metioned could we possbily incorporate the new subway cars into the logo? Do you think it would be too subversive to use the subway to form the S's and the TC cars to form the O as a way to show how (particularly on Sheppard) the current TC plan will create a disconnect?

Anybody with good web design/management skills? We need a webmaster to help CC with the website.

The one decision making problem we had with our plan was what to do with Kingston and how to combine it with Morningside. We felt that both had to have the same mode so as to minimize transfers. And though we felt that Kingston probably had more potential for LRT than Morningside, we decided that BRT for both is good enough for now. They could both be upgraded to LRT as required.

The one decision making problem we had with our plan was what to do with Kingston and how to combine it with Morningside. We felt that both had to have the same mode so as to minimize transfers.
Ah, that get's to a point I've brought up during the Kingston Road EA. I'm near Woodbine/Kingston Road; occasionally I go to Warden/Kingston Road. Currently one has to take the Kingston Road streetcar to Victoria Park, and then change to the Kingston Road bus. However with the transfer and the infrequency of the Kingston Road streetcar (only once every 20 minutes), invariably I just drive.

With the new BRT ... well nothing changes ... I'm still going to drive.

If I was heading to Cliffside (Kingston Road/Midland) I'd still do the streetcar/bus (or invariably just drive). With the BRT I'd take the streetcar to Victoria Park; the bus to Danforth Road, and then change to the BRT. But in reality, I'm still going to drive.

It get's even worse if I'm heading to Guildwood ... streetcar to Victoria Park, bus to the BRT at Danforth, BRT to Eglinton, LRT (or another BRT) to Guildwood (though at that point walking to the subway, subway to Kenendy, LRT to Guildwood; or simply GO to Guildwood starts to make sense).

Anyway, were looking at a scenario where you can do 3 transfers ...

Kingston Road is a problem ... no magic solution.

The one decision making problem we had with our plan was what to do with Kingston and how to combine it with Morningside. We felt that both had to have the same mode so as to minimize transfers. And though we felt that Kingston probably had more potential for LRT than Morningside, we decided that BRT for both is good enough for now. They could both be upgraded to LRT as required.
I think that BRT would be good for most of the Kingston Road corridor. It could meet up with the streetcar at Kingston Road and Danforth, where there'd be a reasonable station (heated, maybe fare paid zone.) Then, BRT and LRT would go in a shared ROW to Main St. Station. So the routes would "end" at Danforth and Kingston Road, with BRT going to UTSC, and both heading towards Main St. where they'd both terminate.

EDIT: That makes sense to me, but it's just my 2 cents :p

I don't even think that the Morningside BRT needs to be inter-lined with Eglinton to be honest. That idea came up because of the current Morningside bus. Most of those riders are heading to the core and will get off where the bus stops and take the subway. It's a flawed assumption that they are all heading for Kennedy. I actually think that the Morningside BRT should just link up with the Kingston BRT and terminate at VP as planned (or even moved further west to Main).

The problem with the maps is how to show the inter-lined possibilities without making the info overwhelming. In reality
1) the SELRT from west of Progress would be interlined with Progress north of Sheppard to terminate at Malvern.
2) the SELRT from east of Progress would also be interlined with Progress south of Sheppard to allow for riders from the east to access STC without a transfer
3) the Morningside BRT would have two branches: one going east on Sheppard to the zoo, and one going north and terminating at Finch.

I don't even think that the Morningside BRT needs to be inter-lined with Eglinton to be honest. That idea came up because of the current Morningside bus. Most of those riders are heading to the core and will get off where the bus stops and take the subway. It's a flawed assumption that they are all heading for Kennedy. I actually think that the Morningside BRT should just link up with the Kingston BRT and terminate at VP as planned (or even moved further west to Main).

But the problem is that if riders want to get to subway, they want to do it sooner. Danforth subway from Kennedy to Main (or Vic Park) is a lot faster than BRT / LRT would be.

So, if you force riders from north of Eglinton to go to Vic Park or Main, their total travel time might get longer than with even a regular-traffic bus to Kennedy.

Ideally, each section of Kingston Rd needs two overlapping routes: one that serves all of Kingston, the other that short-cuts to Danforth subway. But that may be a budget issue.

The problem with the maps is how to show the inter-lined possibilities without making the info overwhelming. In reality
1) the SELRT from west of Progress would be interlined with Progress north of Sheppard to terminate at Malvern.
2) the SELRT from east of Progress would also be interlined with Progress south of Sheppard to allow for riders from the east to access STC without a transfer
3) the Morningside BRT would have two branches: one going east on Sheppard to the zoo, and one going north and terminating at Finch.

#3 is easy: two branches, same color.

The bulk of riders on the Morningside bus today are from Malvern. The inter-lining of the SELRT with the PLRT south of Sheppard would provide most riders with quick access to the subway, especially if it's extended to STC. It's those who are south of Sheppard that are the issue.

^ South of Sheppard: UTSC in particular

This is not a big deal if the Danforth subway gets extended and UTSC gets rapid transit along Ellesmere.

But otherwise, they will much prefer connection to Kennedy that to Main.

The bulk of riders on the Morningside bus today are from Malvern. The inter-lining of the SELRT with the PLRT south of Sheppard would provide most riders with quick access to the subway, especially if it's extended to STC. It's those who are south of Sheppard that are the issue.

The bulk of Morningside bus riders are not from Malvern. It's more like 20%, maybe lower.

From What I heard today, this is a dead issue.

Not only will Metrolinx not look at upgrading this LRT to Subway, but neither well the government.

In fact TC is heading for some down grading and change of thinking.

Watch for announcements in the coming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back