News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.8K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 686     1 

Sapphire Update, out-of-business (Stinson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this one of the least dreadful versions. The first one ( the design that Stinson inherited - the rendering is still up at the site ) was quite ordinaire but not overtly offensive, then we got the sorta-faux Arts & Crafts era tower, then my memory gets a bit hazy as to what exactly we got except I think there were two very silly looking versions and the second one ( which John Bentley Mays adored ) had a big ball on top, and now we get this ...

I understand that demand for condos with several bedrooms is growing, so the basic idea is fair enough. The price doesn't seem out of line, given what places in Spire and Ritz are going for ...

Interesting angle blocking out trump.

Cassius,

How reflective do you think the shimmering effect you were asked to do for the rendering is of what kind of glass is actually intended to be used for the project?

Rendering

Counted 49 stories without the podium, but do you think it will that blue in real life if it gets built?

I think it looks quite nice. As a blue non-box, it will add variety and be a great addition to the area.

Understanding the constraints Harry is under with the design, I think it is better than the silly ball Agrabah style top on the last incarnation. My concern is that it is hard to get excited about a project that is surrounded in so much uncertainty.

Let's see there was:
- The city submitted renderings of 'First Toronto Tower'
- The different (and ugly) public renderings of 'First Toronto Tower'
- Downtown Plaza
- Various height changes for Downtown Plaza
- Sapphire Tower
- Sapphire Tower with varying degress of globes on the top
- Sapphire Tower with varoius heights
- And now this...

So this is the 5th major design change, plus multiple minor changes done during the 'Downtown Plaza' and initial Sapphire Tower plans.

Does the "Graphic Arts Tower" fit in to that list anywhere?

As for the render, the actual peak above what looks to be the highest occupied floor makes me nervous. I picture it losing its slight blue tint and becoming exposed precast. The main curtainwall is fine enough.

Mike in TO,
Sorry, I haven't a clue as to what type of glass they'll be using. However in his descriptions to me, it somewhat sounds like the colour of the glass might shift depending on the angle being viewed from.

akaFTech,
IIRC, the floor count I was given was 63.

Far better than the version with the cocktail onion on the top.

cassius:

It could be dichroic glass, which shifts colour depending on the angle of the light and viewing - though I don't think I've heard of it being used en masse in such a way.

AoD

I picture it losing its slight blue tint and becoming exposed precast.

I'd be willing to bet you're right. I have a hard time imagining it being anything other than concrete. The question is, will it be exposed concrete or will he attempt to cover it with some precast slabs? The best scenario (and the one least likely to happen) would be to cover it with shiny metallic panels, like stainless steel or something. Maybe there'll be some left over blue titanium from the AGO project that Harry can snatch.

That ad in the Star was absolutely dreadful. If Stinson thinks he can peddle two-bedroom condos for $600,000 with that kind of level of amateur promotion then he's seriously deluded.

Are you kidding? This is just another mediocre box. The last rendering with the sapphire on top would have looked beautiful. As I mentioned a while back, they should have used the same design but just made it shorter to meet the city requirements.

Harry should stick to mediocre, he can't afford beautiful

well it is not dreadful and it doesn't have a flat top...that is about all that can be said for the design. The rendering is good as usual cassius..you are very talented.

That looks like an absolutely horrid multilevel parking podium...absolutely horrid! how is that thing going to meet the street?

It is not inspiring...but not dreadful and the roof might make it an interesting addition to the skyline.

Interesting angle for the rendering..it makes one realize how important that location is in terms of its impact on NPS.

great rendering, design is not too bad, but with Harry's track record, I would think there is a better chance of Trump building a 1000 footer in Brampton, than this ever happening. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back