News   Jul 25, 2024
 427     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 562     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 462     0 

Sam's Pix

I guess I'm not too bright. I should've known it was Garry Peterson. After all, this 8 X 10 was also in the box. The glasses are a giveaway. Thanks Ed007Toronto for the interesting inside scoop on the pic. That's awesome. But Tom Cochrane? Really?
Thanks again... I'll post another tomorrow.

Attachments

• Sam and Garry_NEW.jpg
    Sam and Garry_NEW.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 247
Thanks Ed007Toronto for the interesting inside scoop on the pic. That's awesome. But Tom Cochrane? Really?
Thanks again... I'll post another tomorrow.

i know what you mean about Tom Cochrane...its VERY early for him. there is a definite resemblance though, mainly in the eyes. but he would have to be about 21/22 years old and i don't know that he was involved in the biz that early, or if he was, whether he would be connected enough to attend a party of Cancon luminaries like MM.

Let's let the Tom Cochrane debate simmer for awhile. In the meantime, here is an opportunity for a real music geek to earn bonus points and a tip of the cap from Humpday. This was the only other 8 x 10 in the box. I've deleted his name but can anyone ID him? Know what he's doing nowadays?

Attachments

• Sam and Unknown.jpg
    Sam and Unknown.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 231
Let's let the Tom Cochrane debate simmer for awhile. In the meantime, here is an opportunity for a real music geek to earn bonus points and a tip of the cap from Humpday. This was the only other 8 x 10 in the box. I've deleted his name but can anyone ID him? Know what he's doing nowadays?

i'm stumped dagnabbit! looks kind of like a David Foster....how about a clue?

Okee dokee... his initials are K E. According to the Canadian Pop Encyclopedia he was born in Wisconsin and settled in Toronto in the early 70's. FWIW I've never heard of him. I'm heading out for the night. Have fun.

What debate about Tom Cochrane? The guy between Murray and Sam is Tom Cochrane. From Wikipedia:

Early life
Cochrane was born in Lynn Lake, Manitoba, to Violet and Tuck Cochrane, a bush pilot. The family relocated to Acton, Ontario, when Tom was four years old and later to Etobicoke, Ontario. He purchased his first guitar at age 11 by selling a toy train set. Cochrane attended Martingrove Collegiate Institute in the late 1960s. In the early 1970s, he was performing in coffee houses across Canada. He eventually made his way to Los Angeles where he found a job writing theme music for the movie My Pleasure Is My Business, the Xaviera Hollander story. Unable to find steady income from music, Cochrane returned to Toronto, where he drove a taxi cab and later took a job on a Caribbean cruise liner.
[edit]Red Rider
After meeting at the famous El Mocambo Tavern in Toronto, Cochrane joined the Canadian Rock Band Red Rider in 1978 and served as their lead singer and main songwriter for more than ten years. Red Rider included Ken Greer, Jeff Jones, Peter Boynton and Rob Baker. Bruce Allen managed the band from their debut until 1985. Cochrane recorded six studio albums with Red Rider plus a live album, a best of album and a box set. By 1986, the band was billed as "Tom Cochrane & Red Rider".

He was already in Red Ryder in 1978 and had done other stuff beforehand. He was totally around during Murray's big years.

Okee dokee... his initials are K E. According to the Canadian Pop Encyclopedia he was born in Wisconsin and settled in Toronto in the early 70's. FWIW I've never heard of him. I'm heading out for the night. Have fun.

oh, you mean Karl Erikson?

"Erikson was born in Port Washington, Wisconsin where he grew up to earn a bachelor's degree in anthropology at the University of Wisconsin. He moved to Whistler Mountain, British Columbia in 1969 and began working as a solo singer.
He then moved to Australia in the early '70's before settling in Toronto. Once there he recorded his first album 'Aerogramme' for United Artists. It featured several original tunes by Erikson plus songs written by Gene MacLellan, Shirley Eikhard and Joan Guenther.
He released several singles in 1973 and 1974 which was part of his second solo outing 'I Am Next'.
"

yes, i totally cheated because he is TOTALLY obscure. his music is polished, poppy, and melodic but he went absolutely nowhere. a bit surprising that he didn't even get airplay in Toronto. he doesn't look to be the most charismatic sort, but he's not a monster, and his music is actually pretty catchy.
on the other hand, one of his songs is called "Down Wind Of The Buffalo", which doesn't exactly have "hit record" written all over it. it also seems to conjure up rather unpleasant olfactory associations...

[video=youtube;f7H0AlKuzc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7H0AlKuzc4[/video]

Good sleuthing Sherlock. Yes it is Karl Erikson and yes there are some fine shots of Toronto in the YouTube video of Aerogramme.
I'm still reserving judgement on Tom Cochrane but I'm willing to go with it until I receive evidence to the contrary.
Okay, now back to our regularly scheduled program. Hands up, who knows this woman with Sam?

Attachments

• Sam 6_NEW.jpg
    Sam 6_NEW.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 202

Back