News   Jul 16, 2024
 431     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 540     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Sammy Yatim Shooting

What bearing does passengers' fear have on anything though? The streetcar was clear and no passengers were in danger when the shooting happened.
It has a lot of bearing on jury decisions. When the jury heard the 911 call, they would have put themselves in that woman's position, being attacked by a knife wielding maniac. Some in that jury may have a fear of the unknown random crazy attacking or accosting them, and thus be thinking the world is a better place with this guy dead. Meanwhile, soon after everyone else flees, we have a police officer standing down the armed crazy. Regardless of what the jury has been told about what the cop knew at the time, they know from the 911 tape that Yatim was willing to use his knife to attack, giving strength to the cop's stated perception of the threat. Lastly, the maniac refuses to drop his weapon. So, to the jury, with the 911 tape and passengers' fear in their minds sees a cop coming to the rescue, a crazy refusing to drop his weapon and is then shot dead by the police. No way they're going to convict.

Forcillo is not guilty second-degree murder. He is also not guilty of manslaughter.

Forcillo is guilty of attempted murder. I expect attempted murder is because Yatim was already dead when the second volley was fired, thus Forcilio was attempting to murder an already dead person.

This will definitely go to appeal, with the full force of the police association's legal resources. My predictive powers are demonstrably fallible, but I'd see this being reduced to negligent use of firearm upon appeal.

Last edited:

Back