1.1K     2 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 675     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 513     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
mondegreen - a series of words resulting from the mishearing of a statement or a song lyric; Sylvia Wright is credited with coining the neologism in a 1954 Harper magazine column (for years, she thought that the line of a Scots folk song was "and Lady Mondegreen" when in fact it is "and laid him on the green")

So, what should one call it when the phrase results from the application of spell-check or auto-correct?

When I used to DJ, I had a woman keep asking me for "Attila the Monster." I kept telling her I didn't have it, even though she'd sworn that I'd played it a few weeks previously. Eventually she wrote it down for me so I'd remember to look for it at home (since I obviously had it there, what with having played it before).

"Attila the Monster by Stiff Little Fingers"

Eventually I found it:

[video=youtube;4C5e346QvRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5e346QvRQ[/video]

It's actually spelled "idiumb" FYI

Uhhuh, yaaaah, ok.

It's hard to keep track of who's in on things but "for all intensive purposes" has become a running gag here. Notice "intensive" was highlighted in a different colour in the original post.

No, I didn't actually, my bad.

mondegreen - a series of words resulting from the mishearing of a statement or a song lyric; Sylvia Wright is credited with coining the neologism in a 1954 Harper magazine column (for years, she thought that the line of a Scots folk song was "and Lady Mondegreen" when in fact it is "and laid him on the green")

So, what should one call it when the phrase results from the application of spell-check or auto-correct?

Urban Dictionary has this entry:

Auto-Correct Fail
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Auto-Correct Fail

When I used to DJ, I had a woman keep asking me for "Attila the Monster." I kept telling her I didn't have it, even though she'd sworn that I'd played it a few weeks previously. Eventually she wrote it down for me so I'd remember to look for it at home (since I obviously had it there, what with having played it before).

"Attila the Monster by Stiff Little Fingers"

Eventually I found it:

[video=youtube;4C5e346QvRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5e346QvRQ[/video]

Haha!!! I will forever call it that now.

That's the only time I've ever met him, but I keep seeing him show up in the media's photos around City Hall.

I remember seeing him at the military repatriations when the morgue was on Grenville St. ( Now closed. )

I wasn't at very many of them, but every time I went he was faithfully there.

This city has some very interesting people!

To add: Vic, I see you have some wonderful photos of various events! Very nice.

Honest Ed's, TTC, fires etc.

Last edited:
I'm thinking we need a single word, and not something so literally descriptive. (But I am stumped, at the moment anyway.)

Coin a linguist? Fits right in with anything Ford.

Last edited:
I'm thinking we need a single word, and not something so literally descriptive. (But I am stumped, at the moment anyway.)

If we are talking about Robbie then Facctual (F = Ford and ACC for, well the ACC - meaning: Ford "facts" about public events that he attends as a "private citizen")

Or something about like that.

If we are talking about Robbie then Facctual (F = Ford and ACC for, well the ACC - meaning: Ford "facts" about public events that he attends as a "private citizen")

Or something about like that.

Facctual almost suggests pure lies in this case. lol

Thought this word might describe Rob Fords public persona during his "private time" Oxy-moron
Ya know like oxycontin ,etc....

Just need to 'put the dots together'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back