379     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 488     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, "for all intents and purposes" is the proper idiom.:)

It's hard to keep track of who's in on things but "for all intensive purposes" has become a running gag here. Notice "intensive" was highlighted in a different colour in the original post.

Has anyone decided to take one for the team and attend the Ford campaign kick-off and then report back?

Still waiting for a pre-alert from MetroMan.

I can't imagine it'll be long before Ford himself is taken into custody. With all the alleged dirt the cops already have on him, one is led to believe that they haven't arrested him on solicitation or obstruction because they're after a bigger catch. Ford has to be inhibited by some real serious form of mental retardation to be able to live day to day and not worry that the cops are going to be dragging him across the lawn in his underwear sooner or later.

Exactly.
But as someone who lives in Toronto, I would like to implore Kimmel to stop joking about Ford for another reason: By keeping the idea of Ford as a joke alive so long, he is helping him get reelected. Why else do you think the Fords showed up on his program? Why do you think they asked him to be on their show? The man was elected as a buffoon, and he could easily be reelected as one. And so if the conversation about him remains focused on his drug abuse with no mention of his policies, then he might well win. At the moment, he has an image, as a drug abuser in private who keeps city costs down. The drug abuse has hidden the fact that he has completely failed at his appointed political task, which was to cut down the city's bureaucracy.

Policy remains in hiding, and the man is scandal-proof. It's a recipe for victory.

^It's our problem that buffoons are electable to the highest office in this city. Why should Kimmel sacrifice ratings for us?

It's hard to keep track of who's in on things but "for all intensive purposes" has become a running gag here. Notice "intensive" was highlighted in a different colour in the original post.

Has anyone decided to take one for the team and attend the Ford campaign kick-off and then report back?

I think that someone who can come up with "doggie dog world" for dog-eat-dog world probably was only correcting "intensive purposes" as a handle on which to hang his or her own new contribution to the lexicon.

Last edited:
It's not up to Kimmel to keep Rob Ford from taking office again. He's a comedian from another country, on the other side of the continent. There are four newspapers in Toronto, many other broadcast outlets, and many people of enough importance to have their thoughts and opinions on the city's leadership have meaning. There is also an election campaign happening, and at least four other candidates who are in competition to unseat him. It's up to those people to show how unfit for office Rob Ford is, and up to the rest of the electorate to care. If we can't get rid of him, then good on Kimmel for showing us for the sorry fools that we are.

We need a new word

mondegreen - a series of words resulting from the mishearing of a statement or a song lyric; Sylvia Wright is credited with coining the neologism in a 1954 Harper magazine column (for years, she thought that the line of a Scots folk song was "and Lady Mondegreen" when in fact it is "and laid him on the green")

So, what should one call it when the phrase results from the application of spell-check or auto-correct?

Last edited:
I'm planning to go, and hope to take some good photos. Ford Fest Etobicoke was fun last year. :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vgedris/sets/72157635709800245/

I'm actually more interested in photographing Ford Nation than Ford himself. May try to attend more events this year.

-Vic

Very interesting photos. Thanks.

One question: what's with all the grinning cyclists at Ford Fest? Don't they know it's their own fault if they get killed at the end of the day?

Also: Soknacki looks wasted. Didn't expect him to have attended Ford Fest.

(No of course that's not him. I make joke.)

Last edited:
mondegreen - a series of words resulting from the mishearing of a statement or a song lyric; Sylvia Wright is credited with coining the neologism in a 1954 Harper magazine column (for years, she thought that the line of a Scots folk song was "and Lady Mondegreen" when in fact it is "and laid him on the green")

So, what should one call it when the phrase results from the application of spell-check or auto-correct?

When I used to DJ, I had a woman keep asking me for "Attila the Monster." I kept telling her I didn't have it, even though she'd sworn that I'd played it a few weeks previously. Eventually she wrote it down for me so I'd remember to look for it at home (since I obviously had it there, what with having played it before).

"Attila the Monster by Stiff Little Fingers"

Eventually I found it:

[video=youtube;4C5e346QvRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5e346QvRQ[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back