3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if the Province brings in its recall reforms. The "strong mayor" system has to be created at the Provincial level - anything else still has to go to council for final approvals..
No, everything I've outlined is within the Mayor's powers as of December 2014 the province is not involved...Council does not have to approve the mayor's appointments to Standing Committees nor the appointment of a Deputy mayor (see Chapter 27-40 pages 31 and 32)...It is the mayor's perogative and as far as the 17 committes and ABC's go it is part of the the Mayor's powers as per CoTA...Shucks R Ford could go as far having Community Council Meetings convene on separate days just so that he could sit in and vote on all items throughout the City.....One more thing, the Mayor does not have to nominate a speaker it is his right to Chair all City Council meetings should he so desire....

Last edited:
Not if the Province brings in its recall reforms. The "strong mayor" system has to be created at the Provincial level - anything else still has to go to council for final approvals..

Even if not ---- They are not his powers; they are powers of city council that council decided to delegated to the mayor and which can be 'undelegatd' by council . That is, the council decision during the current term to retract the delegation of some of its powers to the mayor will expire at the end of this term, but city council could make exactly the same decision to retract the delegation of those powers yet again for the next term.

If the city counscil post-October 27th is more or less of the same composition, why would they not reinstitute the 'undelegation"? No doubt, if relected, Ford wpuld rant about how the voters must have intended to prefer him over city council, but the realty is that nothing really would have changed; the reasons not to entrust him with powers delegated from council would be the same - and. assuming a more or less similar composition of city council and another win by a mere plurality for Ford. the reality would again be that a majority of city councillors will have been elected in ridings in which Ford will not have received even a plurality of the votes.

Last edited:
Even if not ---- They are not his powers; they are powers of city council that council decided to delegated to the mayor and which can be 'undelegatd' by council . That is, the council decision during the current term to retract the delegation of some of its powers to the mayor will expire at the end of this term, but city council could make exactly the same decision to retract the delegation of those powers yet again for the next term.

Is that realistic given the scenario I outlined above?

That is, the council decision during the current term to retract the delegation of some of its powers to the mayor will expire at the end of this term, but city council could make exactly the same decision to retract the delegation of those powers yet again for the next term.
Might that not be a perverse win for him, pointing to Council as intransigent?

Is that realistic given the scenario I outlined above?

Yes. The decision to 'undelgate' is for city council as a whole. Nothing in that decision would turn on who happened to be the deputy mayor or the chairs of any number of committees. Even if a reelected Ford were to rush through an appointment of a deputy mayor and chairs of committees (which would have to be from the very small number of counscllors who would be willing to be associated with being appointed by him), city council as a whole could reinstate the situation that prevails today and replace any or all of the appointees. (Again, Ford no doubt would bluster about how his reelection supposedly was some kind of plebecite on that powers ought to be delegated to him by council, but that would be utter BS.)

No, everything I've outlined is within the Mayor's powers as of December 2014 the province is not involved...Council does not have to approve the mayor's appointments to Standing Committees nor the appointment of a Deputy mayor (see Chapter 27-40 pages 31 and 32)...It is the mayor's perogative and as far as the 17 committes and ABC's go it is part of the the Mayor's powers as per CoTA...Shucks R Ford could go as far having Community Council Meetings convene on separate days just so that he could sit in and vote on all items throughout the City.....One more thing, the Mayor does not have to nominate a speaker it is his right to Chair all City Council meetings should he so desire....

Sounds like a doomsday scenario.

Might that not be a perverse win for him, pointing to Council as intransigent?

So what? (As in, what is it that he would win, perversely or otherwise?) He could make the same argument today - and indeed has - but to no effect. I do not think it realistic to expect that extending the current situtation to cover a second term of Ford would amount to handing him the means to win reelection to a third term.

I got the Robocall, too.

For the love of dog, I urge you all to press "1" for "I'm coming". If all of non-ford nation did that, and their survey returned that 5 million people were going to show up... well, let the hilarity ensue.

Hahahah, you guys have landlines. I'll send you a telegram, we can meet at the diner and share a shake.

Damn right I still have my landline. I'll give you a call during the next major power outage when your phone is dead. Oh, wait, you won't be able to answer, will you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back