News   Jul 17, 2024
 696     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a doomsday scenario.

The situation today is that Ford does not have the power to appoint the deputy mayor, to appoint the executive committee (which is the gatekeeper of iniatives and the budget process) or to appoint the chairs of committees. The decision that produced this result provides for its own expiry at the end of the current term. However, I cannot see anything in the Municipal Act or the City of Toronto Act that would disable city council from making exactly the same decision again at the opening of the next term. (The powers given to the mayor by statute, which cannot be 'retracted' by council, do not include the appointment powers mentioned above; those appointment powers belong to city council, which can decide to delegate them to the mayor and equally can decide not to delegate them to the mayor.)

ARGH!!!! Just got a robo call from rofo about the kick off for his campaign. The first thousand people get a t-shirt and a flag. Just to hear THAT voice on MY phone.... *barf*

What did they mean the first thousand people? Is it a rally of some sort?

It occurs to me that if "we" could flood his events with people who would never vote for him, it would leave less room for new converts. No reason to heckle - just take up seats so that others cannot.

The situation today is that Ford does not have the power to appoint the deputy mayor, to appoint the executive committee (which is the gatekeeper of iniatives and the budget process) or to appoint the chairs of committees. The decision that produced this result provides for its own expiry at the end of the current term. However, I cannot see anything in the Municipal Act or the City of Toronto Act that would disable city council from making exactly the same decision again at the opening of the next term. (The powers given to the mayor by statute, which cannot be 'retracted' by council, do not include the appointment powers mentioned above; those appointment powers belong to city council, which can decide to delegate them to the mayor and equally can decide not to delegate them to the mayor.)

So I can take down the "For Sale" sign?

Damn right I still have my landline. I'll give you a call during the next major power outage when your phone is dead. Oh, wait, you won't be able to answer, will you.....

Hah, cell towers are surprisingly resilient, they stay up pretty well in power outages. If it's a big enough emergency that the cell network is overloaded, well, who you gonna call anyway?

With people dropping their landlines like crazy, fees have gone up to ridiculous levels, and they're *really* not that reliable. It's true that they're powered from a different source than the main grid, but I'm not going to pay stupid dollars per month just so I could call someone when my power goes out.

Pud99....What you are suggeting is far different than that of November 2013..You are sugesting a total usurping of the Mayors delegated powers....The Council doesn't like the appointed Deputy get rid of him or her...the Council doesn't like the appointed Standing Committee Chairs get rid them...What you are advocating is a rouge Council....4 years of civil war.....

Last edited:
Lucky me, I got two roboRoFo calls today. What's ironic is that I couldn't even vote for him if I wanted to, since I'm not Canadian. :D

Hah, cell towers are surprisingly resilient, they stay up pretty well in power outages. If it's a big enough emergency that the cell network is overloaded, well, who you gonna call anyway?

With people dropping their landlines like crazy, fees have gone up to ridiculous levels, and they're *really* not that reliable. It's true that they're powered from a different source than the main grid, but I'm not going to pay stupid dollars per month just so I could call someone when my power goes out.

Still, no reason to diss those that want to have both landlines and cell phones. Sorry you can't afford it.

The only statutory powers of the mayor of Toronto (i.e., powers that cannot be taken away form the mayor by city council) under the City of Toronto Act are as follows. These do not include any power to appoint the deputy mayor, the members of the executive committee or the chairs of committees, whichh powers are vested in city council and can be delegated by it but are not required to be delegated by it, and if delegated by it can be 'undelegated' by it.

133. (1) It is the role of the mayor of the City, as the head of council,

(a) to act as chief executive officer of the City;

(b) to preside over meetings of council so that its business can be carried out efficiently and effectively;

(c) to provide leadership to council;

(d) to represent the City at official functions; and

(e) to carry out the duties of the head of council under this or any other Act.

(2) Without limiting clause (1) (c), the mayor’s role includes providing information and making recommendations to council with respect to council’s role under clauses 131 (d) and (e).

(3) The City may, with the consent of the head of council, appoint a member of council to act in the place of the head of council on any body, of which the head of council is a member by virtue of being head of council.

134. As chief executive officer of the City, the mayor shall,

(a) uphold and promote the purposes of the City;

(b) promote public involvement in the City’s activities;

(c) act as the representative of the City both within and outside the City, and promote the City locally, nationally and internationally; and

(d) participate in and foster activities that enhance the economic, social and environmental well-being of the City and its residents.

Last edited:
Still, no reason to diss those that want to have both landlines and cell phones. Sorry you can't afford it.

I can afford lots of stupid shit, I'm not "dissing" anyone. I'm joking around. It's the evening, it's a slow RoFo news day.

Not having a landline finances my prosciutto addiction.

Pud99....What you are suggeting is far different than that of November 2013..You are sugesting a total usurping of the Mayors delegated powers....The Council doesn't like the appointed Deputy get rid of him or her...the Council doesn't like the appointed Standing Committee Chairs get rid them...What you are advocating is a rouge Council....4 years of civil war.....

No. What I describe is exactly the decision already made by city council in November 2013 - that is, the decision that gave us the situtation that prevails today. That decision, by its own terms, will expire at the end of this term but there is nothing in the law to stop city council making exactly the same decision again post-October 27th. In the event that Foird were to be re-elected with the same, or a lesser, plurality, and the composition of city council post-October 27th is more or less as it is now (there will be a few changes, I am sure, but probably not a massive swing in favour of brand new councillors who are pro-Ford), why would council not continue to distrust Ford to the same degree and for the same reasons that they distrust him today?

I have the cordless, and the old-style type that plug directly into the wall. Never owned a cell phone. But, my wife does. She's the IT expert here.

pots

edit: Jesus, UT won't let you post a post in all-caps. It's an acronym! POTS

I was just curious if you extended POTS beyond the old 2-wire system, to include a 4-wire system.

Hmmm, yes, just like a certain company's new "Hybrid Cable", we use a cordless (dual actually) on a dedicated VIOP line over coaxial. It's still crap when the power goes out but we rely on mobile if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back