213     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 621     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 986     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teleprompters are almost always displayed right in front of the camera lens, via 2-way mirror or glass.

http://theunofficialvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/teleprompter1.jpg

EDIT: Okay, so I was beaten to it a ways back.

Off-topic (or is it? we're in such a huge lull I wouldn't say we have one) but I just want to shout out to the http://www.robfordfacts.ca/ site. The writing is just so perfect in tone. Clear, funny, dismissive of Ford's bullshit but not mean, pitched to an "everyperson" audience but not dumbed down. A fantastic resource that I hope gets shared with increasing frequency.

And no, I'm not affiliated thx for asking ;)

You're right. This needs wide coverage. Just tweeted it, myself. Maybe it will fall across a screen on a member of Ford Nation's computer (I'd say 'smartphone', but that would be an oxymoron).

Yup I was wrong about the teleprompters. Thanks guys. I had seen the ones that are just a screen above the camera but only in photos, the mirrored angled glass is very clever and seems to be the way it's usually done.

Regardless the point is the same, neither of the Fords can seem to look anywhere near the camera. Not that they could very well read a teleprompter anyway.

But they are very good at memorizing scripts :D Something about billions of dollars and subways. LINE??

Interview with Goldsbie and Doolittle, talking about the burning rubber smell in city hall last week.

What Only the Press Knows about Rob Ford--45 minutes
http://canadalandshow.com/press-knows-rob-ford/

Topics discussed:
What was that weird smell at City Hall? What else has the media been holding back about Rob Ford? Why do some Ford stories get held back? Why do so many reporters need to hang around outside of Ford’s office? Is Ford a media genius? Is the press too afraid of getting sued? Who will play Goldsbie in the Rob Ford movie?

Including a link to a Business Insider article I haven't read before: Rob Ford Caused Quite A Scene In Toronto Last Night Complete With Alleged Raging, Clubbing, And A 'Bizarre' Odor

Watch how much worse he gets if he escapes the police investigation without charges and gets reelected. He'll feel unstoppable and like he can do whatever he wants.

Good thing we have a weak-mayor system. I sometimes wonder if Rob Ford matters all that much. He squandered his political capital early in his term and was really nothing more than a sideshow after that. I suspect a second term would have a similar arc. Moreover, Ford would have less moral authority a second time round. His only path to victory is a split vote and his showing in October will be considerably weaker than it was in 2010. If he wins, he won't be able to legitimately claim a mandate (although he'll try). So, yeah, we'll get more histronics and bullshit. He'll be a major distraction and irritant. But I also think he'll continue to be ineffective.

Good thing we have a weak-mayor system. I sometimes wonder if Rob Ford matters all that much. He squandered his political capital early in his term and was really nothing more than a sideshow after that. I suspect a second term would have a similar arc. Moreover, Ford would have less moral authority a second time round. His only path to victory is a split vote and his showing in October will be considerably weaker than it was in 2010. If he wins, he won't be able to legitimately claim a mandate (although he'll try). So, yeah, we'll get more histronics and bullshit. He'll be a major distraction and irritant. But I also think he'll continue to be ineffective.

The problem isn't what he'll do; it's that good work WON'T be getting done.

That said, I'm now of the mindset that the worst thing that can possibly happen to Rob Ford is to get reelected. He'll have to deal with the fallout of his first-term policies and will likely have to raise taxes quite a bit more than he's promised. This will take a lot of the shine off his appeal to his remaining supporters, even though he'll try to blame it on a left-wing spendocratic council. Meanwhile he'll feel his reelection is a permission slip to keep abusing substances. That problem will get exacerbated by his political problems. And we'll be essentially in for a repeat of term one but way way worse.

The best thing that could happen to Rob Ford is to lose in October, realize the king has been naked all this time, finally bottom out, and seek help.

The problem isn't what he'll do; it's that good work WON'T be getting done.

That said, I'm now of the mindset that the worst thing that can possibly happen to Rob Ford is to get reelected. He'll have to deal with the fallout of his first-term policies and will likely have to raise taxes quite a bit more than he's promised. This will take a lot of the shine off his appeal to his remaining supporters, even though he'll try to blame it on a left-wing spendocratic council. Meanwhile he'll feel his reelection is a permission slip to keep abusing substances. That problem will get exacerbated by his political problems. And we'll be essentially in for a repeat of term one but way way worse.

The best thing that could happen to Rob Ford is to lose in October, realize the king has been naked all this time, finally bottom out, and seek help.

Other than he'd slash and burn services before raising taxes.
When they were doing this years budget, the head number cruncher, whose name escapes me at the moment, was already talking of upcoming double digit increases to cover the cost of the small increases and hands in the reserve fund cookie jars over the last few years... It would serve him (RoFo) right to have to deal with that.
The rest of Toronto would be better served by his failure to be reelected.

Last edited:
I'm now of the mindset that the worst thing that can possibly happen to Rob Ford is to get reelected. He'll have to deal with the fallout of his first-term policies and will likely have to raise taxes quite a bit more than he's promised. This will take a lot of the shine off his appeal to his remaining supporters, even though he'll try to blame it on a left-wing spendocratic council.

Ford has already voted against his own budget twice. I suspect that even if he gets elected for a second term, and has to deal with the fiscal fallout of his first term, he will continue to make unrealistic demands about freezing taxes and leave his executive and budget committees to take the heat.

He is basically a troll mayor - more interested in keeping himself in the limelight than actually doing anything to govern (in fact, his behaviour undermines the very notion of governance). Take how he rant on and on about the need for a strong mayor because he can't supposedly get anything done - when he was the one who actively sabotages the latter.

How do you deal with trolls? Either remove them or ignore them.

AoD

Last edited:
He is basically a troll mayor - more interested in keeping himself in the limelight than actually doing anything to govern (in fact, his behaviour undermines the very notion of governance). Take how he rant on and on about the need for a strong mayor because he can't supposedly get anything done - when he was the one who actively sabotages the latter.

How do you deal with trolls? Either remove them or ignore them.

AoD

Absolutely right, AOD. His behaviour in Council a couple weeks back was proof positive: repeatedly voting "no" for every motion without even listening to what it was, just to be contrary.

This is not the behaviouor of a grown up, let alone that of a politician who cares about anything other than himself. I was furious after that debacle.

Take how he rant on and on about the need for a strong mayor because he can't supposedly get anything done - when he was the one who actively sabotages the latter.

Had ROB Ford actually advocated for a strong mayor system? I'm pretty sure I remember him being against that, but DOUG has screamed for it many times.

I'm sure, either way, they would probably only want a strong mayor if it was one of them with the chain around his neck.

-Vic

Last edited:

Remember upon relection R Ford's powers would be reconstituted December 1, 2014....What this effectively means is he has carte blanche to appoint 8 members to his Executive Committee including the Deputy Mayor....Let us say he is reelected and his first appointment is oh how about Giorgio Mammoliti to Deputy Mayor...Is council going to pull the trigger and reinstitute the reins they put on R Ford in Nov 2013? I think not given the alternative and how about the other possible appointed seven standing Committee Chairs lets say Crisanti, Nunziata, DiGiorgio, Perruzza, Moeser, Leon and the Ford replacement in Ward two...Would Council really want these as permanent Chairs for four years....On relection R Ford would again have the luxury of sitting on as many as 17 Committees or ABC's including the Police Board or he can do as he has in the past send designates....In the end as of the first Council meeting of the new Council if reelected R Ford could have all his ducks in a row in the creation of a pseudo-strong mayor system...

Last edited:
ARGH!!!! Just got a robo call from rofo about the kick off for his campaign. The first thousand people get a t-shirt and a flag. Just to hear THAT voice on MY phone.... *barf*

Remember upon relection R Ford's powers would be reconstituted December 1, 2014....What this effectively means is he has carte blanche to appoint 8 members to his Executive Committee including the Deputy Mayor....Let us say he is reelected and his first appointment is oh how about Giorgio Mammoliti to Deputy Mayor...Is council going to pull the trigger and reinstitute the reins they put on R Ford in Nov 2013? I think not given the alternative and how about the other possible appointed seven standing Committee Chairs lets say Crisanti, Nunziata, DiGiorgio, Perruzza, Moeser, Leon and the Ford replacement in Ward two...Would Council really want these as permanent Chairs for four years....On relection R Ford would again have the luxury of sitting on as many as 17 Committees or ABC's including the Police Board or he can do as he has in the past send designates....In the end as of the first Council meeting of the new Council if reelected R Ford could have all his ducks in a row in the creation of a pseudo-strong mayor system...

Not if the Province brings in its recall reforms. The "strong mayor" system has to be created at the Provincial level - anything else still has to go to council for final approvals..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back