237     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 474     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that sounds like what SHOULD happen but I don't get the sense he has the brains to go through with that; nor does Dennis Morris for that matter.

I doubt the police, at this point, are inclined to do him the favour of a fast arraignment so he's out on bail before you even know it. He hasn't quite earned that sort of discretion on their part. Indeed, it's hard to imagine that Bill Blair, Giroux et. al wouldn't do everything in their power to ensure he gets a dramatic perp walk we can all enjoy for years to come.

Oh, I'm sure they'll offer him the opportunity but, really, have you been watching him? You think the man who barreled through reporters last week is averse to a little drama? How does a quiet arrest play into his bid for a new career as a reality TV star? It sounds a bit like I'm jesting but, sincerely, I don't see:
a) The police giving him more than a courtesy notice and request to come in
b) A refusal to come in both because he's an obstinate fool, because he probably still thinks he can outwit them and/or he knows he can perpetuate his victim image by getting dragged away by these horrible, biased, political police officers who are only doing what they're doing because Daniel Dale and Jackson Proskow told John Tory to tell Andy Pringle to tell Bill Blair to tell Giroux to do so. No, if I'm Giroux, doing my job, getting slandered by this guy, I want him in cuffs on CNN.

If I were the TPS/OPP I wouldn't want to give him white-collar criminal treatment by asking him to turn himself in, nor would I want to provide him a circus event to play up his "I am a victim" narrative. Instead, I would arrest him at home, early in the morning, or at night, tipping off the media just before it all went down so they could get a shot of him being put in the back of a cruiser.

What can you say ... Rob Ford is an inhumane piece of shit.

I'd assume he is taking cocaine again. Could make for an interesting debate tomorrow ... though I'd guess that he'd simply walk out, and it won't be that exciting.

I actually think that could happen...

Had a swing by the Ford HQ again today... And finally it's starting to look like it will actually be an election HQ...
fords lair.jpg

There was a guy, likely a painter (because it could take two weeks to paint a 1000sqft storefront, right Doug?) who arrived as I was there *on a bicycle* I'm sure if a Ford had seen him he'd have been fired on the spot for that affront on the car.

Attachments

• fords lair.jpg
    fords lair.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 539
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat · 3h
Mayor Rob Ford still sitting behind his usual council seat and refusing to sit in his assigned seat #TOpoli pic.twitter.com/EQ7Zj0XL5W

Since I was the target of your original comments, and a woman, let me weigh in on whether your comments came off sexist or not.

Truth be told, I was immediately offended by your response and especially the reference to being emotional. It was a direct stab at me as a woman and it made you look sexist.

When people call women emotional they are pulling out an old hurtful stereotype which suggests that women are unable to manage themselves in all sorts of situations where men can because they might become unravelled. Men have just as many unpleasant emotions as women and the subject of this Forum is the Poster Boy for unbridled anger but you won't see Rob Ford's tantrums labelled "emotional" because that insult is reserved for slapping women down.

You might think people should suck it up and accept any unkind bullshit that people throw out in a forum but let me tell you, I am old enough to remember when "emotional" was an excuse to shut me and other women out from everything from jobs and promotions to higher education. It still pisses me off today.

JWBF own your words for what they were. With snied, dismissive language you tried to silence me for daring to write about something which did not interest you. It would seem you let your emotions get the better of you when you made me the target of your frustration so now we are even.

Now, I'm a big girl and I have heard worse than what you said but if you are not being deliberately noxious, I think the right thing to do is begin again with a different tone.

Thank you for your honesty, and patience, and thank you for indulging my little sidestep. I was going to continue this bland/neuter attitude, and opinion, however, I don't see the need anymore. You have shown your intents, and disproved my assumptions of your arguments, and attitude.

I still disagree on how to deal with Robbie, and I feel we cannot treat him with kid gloves. I do feel as you do about his upbringing but there is some much sympathy I can give him for his actions.

Rob is counting on sympathy for all the actions of the "bias media," for example.

---

I'm afraid thedeepend was just collateral, and I apologize to him also. Although, I have to admit it was fun, thedeepend made it too easy, not that I was wrong about his projecting, and jumping to assumptions.

Oh well, I'm probably gong to hear something from the Mods, I'm probably deserving of chastisement.

Ontario’s license plates are made by its prisoners

By Jil McIntosh
Metro Canada

With more than 1.6 million new vehicles sold every year, Canadians need a lot of license plates to go on them. It’s a full-time job making them, but you wouldn’t want to apply for it in Ontario: they’re made by prison inmates.

“Ontario license plates are manufactured at the Lindsay Correctional Facility,” says Ciaran Ganley, spokesman for the Ministry of Government Services. “Most vehicle license plates appear in pairs, but other motor vehicles have a single license plate, including motorcycle, off-road, moped and trailer.”

Making a plate is a five-step process, starting with the production of blanks, which are plates that don’t yet have their numbers. A laminate sheet is made that includes “Ontario” at the top and a slogan at the bottom, usually “Yours to Discover.”

The laminate is glued onto a coil of aluminum, and a press stamps out individual plates and cuts mounting holes into them. Some 800 are made each hour.

The blanks go to an embossing press, where workers set in the dies to stamp the letters and numbers. Regular plates go quickly, since only one or two numbers must be changed in sequence. Personalized plates slow everything down, since the die has to be completely reset. If a pair of plates is needed, the machine stamps two blanks at once.

To colour the letters and numbers, the plate is fed into a machine that uses heat to apply a foil coating to the raised portion.

Finally, the plates are put in plastic bags and visually inspected for quality. Any defective plates are destroyed, while the rest are boxed for distribution.

Ontario plates are colour-coded.

Car, motorcycle and trailer plates use blue letters on a white background. Commercial vehicle, bus and farm plates use black on white; diplomat plates are white on red; dealer plates are red on white; and green plates are for electric vehicles.

“For personalized plates, any combination of letters or numbers may be ordered, provided the combination is available and meets the established criteria,” Ganley says. Off-limits are plates deemed obscene, derogatory, abusive, sexual, religious (except for religious titles), violent, discriminatory, or that describe drugs, alcohol, or criminal activity.

Things to note

• Until 1973, Ontario motorists got new license plates annually, stamped with the year. Renewal stickers were introduced for 1974.

• Most series plates (non-personalized) do not use G, I, O, Q or U, which could cause readability issues for law enforcement purposes.

• Ontario plates can be ordered with the French version of the province’s “Yours to Discover” slogan, “Tant à découvir.”

Pud and Everyone: I noticed this mention on the manufacture of Ontario's license plates...I find it interesting that only Ontario in Canada has
prison labor making license plates...All of the other provinces are made by private contractors - the largest one being the Waldale Company...
See: www.waldale.com

Speaking of favorite regular series license plates: One of mine has been YES*269...I have seen both the NY Liberty and Ontario one in use in the past...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
i'll join you

hey, who were those people that organized that protest in the square? they had a web site too

can we ask them to organize a dance?

no, i'm serious

a dance
A few of us UT'ers organized it! The website was savetoronto.ca

A perp walk/arrest celebration is an excellent idea and we should start organizing it now. If everyone does a little bit, it will be organized in no time at all. (And considering Jimmi's prediction that it might be next week, there won't be much time.)

Wouldn't it be funny if it happened on April Fools, next Tuesday?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back