238     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid thedeepend was just collateral, and I apologize to him also. Although, I have to admit it was fun, thedeepend made it too easy, not that I was wrong about his projecting, and jumping to assumptions.

no need to apologize; you landed nary a blow.

[video=youtube;ZPxTftJ9pZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPxTftJ9pZE[/video]

Since we have unitl October, I'm staying open and gathering any info & insights I can. Having said that, I feel Karen Stintz just isn't a consideration for me at all. I would have said that Socknacki doesn't have the resume but you know, I'm quite interested in hearing him tomorrow...I hope he surprises people. Chow, I just don't believe she has the GTA open mindedness required. Tory, I like for his maturity, professionalism, business experience and the fact that he's lived this piece already. I agree, they won't be holding Ford to really any serious comments

Do you realize how many bad judgement calls, Tory has had? The man also has a history of flip-flopping when those bad decisions come back to haunt him. It takes him forever to just make a decision, he's so afraid of losing votes. What has he accomplished on his own, without his daddy's help? The man, like Ford, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. His whole career has been all about his family connections. It's sad that people think a 3 time loser, who is paralyzed by making decisions, is the best choice of leader, in this province. Tory is not a leader! All it took was a fake call in comment to his show, to scare him from running against Ford, in the last election. So of course, he hires the sleaze-ball responsible for that scam. (Ford's campaign manager, last election) What does that say about Tory? Yeah, he's better than Ford but that ain't saying much.

Nope, this doesn't look good for Tory at all.

Last edited:
Do you realize how many bad judgement calls, Tory has had? The man also has a history of flip-flopping when those bad decisions come back to haunt him. It takes him forever to just make a decision, he's so afraid of losing votes. What has he accomplished on his own, without his daddy's help? The man, like Ford, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. His whole career has been all about his family connections. It's sad that people think a 3 time loser, who is paralyzed by making decisions, is the best choice of leader, in this province. Tory is not a leader! All it took was a fake call in comment to his show, to scare him from running against Ford, in the last election. So of course, he hires the sleaze-ball responsible for that scam. (Ford's campaign manager, last election) What does that say about Tory? Yeah, he's better than Ford but that ain't saying much.

It's "Chow-time"! Though I will take Tory over Ford and Stinz (and I want Socks to be Chows budget chief).

I agree, he's a perennial loser and indeed has made a series of bad decisions. Like the least effective political ad in the history of the country: attacking Jean Chretien's facial deformity. Canadians rightly felt above such a low blow and swiftly handed the Conservatives a MASSIVE defeat. His current campaign hasn't been much smarter (thanks for the tip that women can break the glass ceiling by taking up golf!).

Since I was the target of your original comments, and a woman, let me weigh in on whether your comments came off sexist or not.

Truth be told, I was immediately offended by your response and especially the reference to being emotional. It was a direct stab at me as a woman and it made you look sexist.

When people call women emotional they are pulling out an old hurtful stereotype which suggests that women are unable to manage themselves in all sorts of situations where men can because they might become unravelled. Men have just as many unpleasant emotions as women and the subject of this Forum is the Poster Boy for unbridled anger but you won't see Rob Ford's tantrums labelled "emotional" because that insult is reserved for slapping women down.

You might think people should suck it up and accept any unkind bullshit that people throw out in a forum but let me tell you, I am old enough to remember when "emotional" was an excuse to shut me and other women out from everything from jobs and promotions to higher education. It still pisses me off today.

JWBF own your words for what they were. With snied, dismissive language you tried to silence me for daring to write about something which did not interest you. It would seem you let your emotions get the better of you when you made me the target of your frustration so now we are even.

Now, I'm a big girl and I have heard worse than what you said but if you are not being deliberately noxious, I think the right thing to do is begin again with a different tone.

That's how you do a comeback.

I liked Stinz until she supported Ford. She sat in city council for years, so she knew how disruptive and uncooperative Ford was and still, she supported all his stupid ideas, including his disastrous ideas about public transit. She didn't care when he was pitting Torontonians against one another because he seemed popular, at the time. It was only after she saw public opinion polls showing Ford losing support, that Stintz started opposing Ford. (probably after she decided to run in the next election) Stintz is an opportunist, who flows wherever the public opinion seems to go. She has no real plans or ideas. Sell Hydro? That's just the same tired old con games. Stintz was never a serious contender.

Are there no good Conservatives out there? Is Ford, Tory and Stintz really the best there is? Where are the new leaders in that party? I don't know much about Soknacki but why is he being ignored? What is wrong with Soknacki? I haven't heard anything really bad about this guy and he does have experience at city council and as a business man, as well as a MBA degree. (and a BA from U of T, so at least he has an education)

Do you guys realize that Tory goes way back, working with Brian Mulroney and he was Kim Campbell's disastrous campaign manager? (remember the results?) Maybe politics is not Tory's forte.

Thank you for your honesty, and patience, and thank you for indulging my little sidestep. I was going to continue this bland/neuter attitude, and opinion, however, I don't see the need anymore. You have shown your intents, and disproved my assumptions of your arguments, and attitude.

I still disagree on how to deal with Robbie, and I feel we cannot treat him with kid gloves. I do feel as you do about his upbringing but there is some much sympathy I can give him for his actions.

Rob is counting on sympathy for all the actions of the "bias media," for example.

---

I'm afraid thedeepend was just collateral, and I apologize to him also. Although, I have to admit it was fun, thedeepend made it too easy, not that I was wrong about his projecting, and jumping to assumptions.

Oh well, I'm probably gong to hear something from the Mods, I'm probably deserving of chastisement.

Thank you JWBF, that was a very decent thing to do.

For the record, nobody is disagreeing with you. Rob Ford is deserving of all the contempt and punishment that comes his way. He's become completely loathsome. But what I was trying to convey, and perhaps failed despite a lot of typing, is that I have personal sympathy for him as a deeply flawed, utterly failed human being and in particular as an extreme alcoholic who may be at this time heading towards an emotional breakdown. Every now and then when a reporter asks about his drinking you can see a flicker of shame in his eyes, just a micro-expression. Every outburst, attack, apology, excuse and deflection is to me, a man in denial hiding from himself.

As others have said, most of us would feel entirely different if he had accepted help when it was offered. He would be a guy who knew he had a problem, and did something about it. But instead he's become a circus-clown, a side-show.

I can root for his long overdue removal from public service, applaud when he is perp-walked in handcuffs and placed in a cruiser. No kid gloves here. These things will be cathartic, and he deserves them. But with every new humiliation we are watching him crack. His reactions are becoming more odd. I would compare Ford's recent fight or flight reactions to that of Britney Spears when she shaved her head to retaliate against her record company. If he doesn't have a public nervous breakdown between now and the day following the election, I'd be shocked. It's a cringe-worthy show and we all have a front row seat. To derive joy from this feels ghoulish to me. Britney was a teenager so we called it a cry for help, but what is it called when a grown man implodes in full public view as Ford has been doing since the Star began to expose his secrets?

Cross-posted to the Election thread because that's where it probably belongs. But how can you talk about 'Rob Ford's Toronto' when it will seemingly, inevitably, not be *that*.

There is a perception that he's a nice guy. A good man. That may be. In certain circumstances. But a vote for Tory is just another vote for an entitled, upper-class, first-world, fucked-up Twit who couldn't really cut it at the family firm. He helped do the PC party in (1993), really did Rogers in for awhile. Then took on the challenge of Charter in the U.S. (Chapter 11, 2009), while simultaneously losing friends and influencing nobody with the OPC in the century's first decade. Good man. Nice guy. But everything he touches turns to a brown slide down someone else's pants. If elected, we'll all wear those magic, stinky trousers. Not worth it after the current shitshow to which we all have unfortunate witness.

I'd take Socks first. Stintz never. Ford can go to hell. So, again, slim pickin's for many in this race.

Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 12.28.20 AM.jpg

So he spends the time during deputations reading and intimidating other councillors, and now apparently he's going to fast track the process. Yup, he sure has respect for the taxpayer (by the by, Porter is asking for millions in subsidies, definitely more than they pay, so in this case I think it's safe to say that the "taxpayer" is not them). Not to mention once again demonstrating his lack of knowledge of what he can and can't do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 12.28.20 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 12.28.20 AM.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back