4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That whole thing was played up because it was funny, but calling it assault and all that... Come on. Get real. That's not how the real world works.

What I've seen on Wednesday and Thursday, with several angles now, is Ford aggressively pushing media (camera people and photographers) out of the way as he ran to his office from near the entrance of NPS to the top of the stairs on the second floor, his testosterone filled security detail also in play. The most aggressive incident, and the one of real concern, was the photographer on the stairs, where Ford went into football posture with his arms spread and knocked the hell out of the guy then continued running up the remaining stairs and along to his office. I saw that as taking out his anger with the media on that guy on the stairs. I also see that as an assault, and if I were him I'd have been at TPS filing an assault charge before Ford could get his breath back.

I totally agree the way that they were acting with the 'crowd' was absolutely insane, and if we're going to treat this like any other workplace then I completely agree that treating 'clients' like that would get you shitcanned faster than you could say 'subways'. Then again, plenty of other things he has done would get you on the street right-quick too, so... What did someone here say, "teflon mayor"?

I just personally don't think accidentally bumping into the woman, even for a stupid reason, is all that egregious especially considering everything else he has done.

I was in the council chambers that day. Amazed no one has taken them to task either as employer or member of the public for their dangerous and disrespectful behaviour. When Pam McConnell fell, she was inches from hitting her head on a glass partition - luckily she was caught before hitting the ground. If her head had been split open, Rob would have been charged. Once again he got away with despicable amounts of stupid.

Someone aptly compared Ford's actions with the "Shawinigan Handshake". Chretien, after throttling a protester in his way and throwing him to the ground (breaking his tooth) stated "some people came my way... and I had to go, so if you're in my way...." That seems like Ford's attitude: if I'm moving, and you're in my way, I'm more important, so I'm going to take you out.

The victim declined to press charges in that case. A third party (private citizen) laid assault charges against the Right Honourable Chretien, but the Quebec justice minister quickly quashed them.

Can you imagine what would happen if you or I were walking down a crowded section of Yonge St. and decided we were in a hurry and started running with our elbows up like Ford does and took out a few people? (or grabbed people by the throats and threw them to the ground, for that matter?) Or took a posse of paid goons with us to push people out of our way?

Thank you for articulating this better than I did. He is creating a hostile and unsafe work environment, and as you and others have mentioned, that leaves the city open to liability, not to mention that the city has an obligation to provide its employees with safe working conditions. I also agree that it's probably too late for anything to be done. It's just that the McConnell incident seemed so black and white to me that I found it particularly surprising that after a day or two, it seemed to fall off everyone's radar.

That might have been one reason behind Council stripping Ford of his powers - every member of Ford's staff was given the option to work instead with Deputy Mayor Kelly.

Wormington is doing a full-court press for the 'explanation' that Ford was impersonating Hulk Hogan. I'm not linking to it, because I have no intention of giving that individual any more page views than he has.

As someone who has watched WWF in the past (I'm that old I still call it that) Hulk was never a heel. He was never a bad guy. He was someone the crowd was always meant to root for. He would never have used that kind of crude language. He was family-friendly. Heck, he even had a cartoon series.

Funny that this 'explanation' eluded Ford when he was on Jimmy Kimmel. He couldn't remember that time. Yet here comes this story.

"The problem was the mayor himself would not confirm this on the record in my conversations with him.

Or deny it."

Darn Ford! Why won't he latch to on the merest thread of an excuse his supporters are giving him?!

Last edited:
Wormington is doing a full-court press for the 'explanation' that Ford was impersonating Hulk Hogan. I'm not linking to it, because I have no intention of giving that individual any more page views than he has.

As someone who has watched WWF in the past (I'm that old I still call it that) Hulk was never a heel. He was never a bad guy. He was someone the crowd was always meant to root for. He would never have used that kind of crude language. He was family-friendly. Heck, he even had a cartoon series.

Funny that this 'explanation' eluded Ford when he was on Jimmy Kimmel. He couldn't remember that time. Yet here comes this story.

"The problem was the mayor himself would not confirm this on the record in my conversations with him.

Or deny it."

Darn Ford! Why won't he latch to on the merest thread of an excuse his supporters are giving him?!

Later in his career he did turn 'heel.' Not sure that it matters one way or another though. Ford is obviously lying. For example, why would Hulk Hogan be talking about Randy Ford carrying a purse? Or, if it was an impression of Hulk Hogan why would he be referring to his brothers? It's stupid. He's a desperate pathetic liar.

Last edited:
not really "the Mayor" -- probably his lawyer in the case, Gavin Tighe.
Robbie doesn't read books. :p

Sure, nobody believes the mayor can actually read. Pointing indirectly to the fact that Doolittle may be brought in to testify in the civil trial.

Never mind the fact that Ford never once breaks from the charade to share any kind of laugh (or any other kind of awareness) with his audience. Never mind the fact that this interpretation doesn't account for a substantial number of details (Randy holding the purse, the birds, that reference to Doug and Rob being called liars and thieves).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back