4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
for what it's worth... i've lived in toronto for getting close to 40 years, and i always considered the suburbs to be things like pickering, markham, richmond hill, etc. i felt that the amalgamation finally "saw" toronto as most torontonians did... you can easily be taken from, say, north york to scarborough to downtown while you live, work, and play.... but having to make it out to what i've called the suburbs is much less likely. so an amalgamated toronto does represent an area people see as one city.

strongly disagree with this. i've almost never left the old city limits aside from travel out of the city. everything that a person like me finds interesting about toronto doesn't include those suburbs. the whole goofy history of toronto pre-y2k is a story of these neighborhoods sort of coming into their own and battling it out and the rest. appending a bunch of post-war autoburbs whose residents felt like they were torontonians for some reason just totally blew up this cool little dynamic.

she is a teenager who wants to be a fashion designer. website has her appearing on some "talented teens" segment of the Marilyn Dennis show or some silly daytime talk show. I guess she made him the hat. :rolleyes:

If you look at the website it's not half bad! I want one of those ties!

She has studio space and all this freedom to start a business at 17 though, mom & dad must be reasonably wealthy and that pic looks like it's not exactly downtown, so demographics would make her parents likely Ford supporters. No doubt she does not give a crap about municipal politics and likes Ford only because her parents do, she can't even vote, if she even has a residence in Toronto.

Damn I really like those ties though.

Quote Originally Posted by atodaso View Post
What is Ford jumping about 3 posts up?

They brought in pizza for lunch, and this is when the delivery guy walked into the room

If you look at the website it's not half bad! I want one of those ties!

She has studio space and all this freedom to start a business at 17 though, mom & dad must be reasonably wealthy and that pic looks like it's not exactly downtown, so demographics would make her parents likely Ford supporters. No doubt she does not give a crap about municipal politics and likes Ford only because her parents do, she can't even vote, if she even has a residence in Toronto.

Damn I really like those ties though.

Her website says Scarborough, the pic looks Guildwood. Guildwood is represented Federally and Provincially by Liberals. And Ainsley on Council (on Ford's "hit list") So it's okay, you can buy the tie.

strongly disagree with this. i've almost never left the old city limits aside from travel out of the city. everything that a person like me finds interesting about toronto doesn't include those suburbs. the whole goofy history of toronto pre-y2k is a story of these neighborhoods sort of coming into their own and battling it out and the rest. appending a bunch of post-war autoburbs whose residents felt like they were torontonians for some reason just totally blew up this cool little dynamic.

Congratulations. You are part of the problem. It is exactly that attitude that feeds the divide that Ford Nation exploits.

Congratulations. You are part of the problem. It is exactly that attitude that feeds the divide that Ford Nation exploits.

Well said. I have nothing against the suburbs. I would not live there but that's my choice. With reasonable politicians, catering to downtown and the suburbs would be possible. With these clowns, no way.

Doubtful that 'The Cops' proper would even consider doing anything of the sort (The TPA is another story). And maybe DeMatteo is grasping. But Tory is probably as plugged into the Toronto legal community as one can be, if only by virtue of the family firm. There's apparently a good deal of chatter amongst the city's lawyers about all of this, so he may have a bit of an ear on the inside. If so, such info would surely factor into any decision he'll make.

This makes sense. What I find hard to get my mind around is that there'd be a significant gap between what the legal community knows and what journalists know. I'm mostly on the outside of these two groups though, so maybe there's some dynamic that I'm unaware of that would explain it.

The politicians pander to their constituents. As long as they only think local and not citywide you will continue to have these issues.

From the Rob Ford Must Go twitter account (the people holding the sit-in outside Ford's office)

FORD: Don't get me started on Hudak, I've had enough of Hudak, why do you think Doug pulled out?

When asked if that was a verbatim quote...

Didn't tape it, and I don't have a reporter's memory. The gist? Yes. Verbatim? I don't know.

There's not a lot of concrete evidence there of Bush being smarter than the author's readers, other than the author's say-so. No specific examples of his analytical skills or perception or intellect.

I don't have a problem believing that GWB is smarter than he seems, or smarter than a large proportion of the general population. But smarter than 'you', as in any given reader of the article? That comes off as appeal to authority.

I'm not even referring to the lack of intelligence suggested by his verbal/rhetorical gaffes or his non-genius regular-guy persona that he put on to obscure the fact that he was far more educated and privileged than the audience he played to (and that he was not really from Texas either). I'm thinking more of his ridiculous stubbornness, ignorance and oversimplification of issues, such as the time one of his advisers suggested it might not be wise for the US to become involved in the Iraq conflict, lest it turn out to be yet another unfavourable display of meddling in overseas matters. The adviser raised the idea of entrusting the issue to a nation with a more neutral reputation and a more favourable image, such as Sweden.

Bush's response? 'Nope. Sweden doesn't have an army'. The adviser tried to tell him otherwise, but he insisted over and over he was right.

The subject was dropped and then a few days later, Bush approached the same adviser: 'Turns out you were right. It's Switzerland that doesn't have an army'.

Wow, the exact stereotype of the downtowner Ford's promoting. I'd say it's quite obvious you haven't left the downtown core if you can make a statement like this. Seriously?

Thanks for acknowledging up front your ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back