380     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 683     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 441     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Robyn Doolittle bends over backwards to give Ford grudging respect in the areas where she believes there's a slim chance he might not be 100% mentally challenged. She really doesn't want people to think she's just out to get him, so she goes a little overboard with the fair-and-balanced thing sometimes.

Yeah, I got the exact same feeling when I was reading the book as well.

Yeah, I got the exact same feeling when I was reading the book as well.

Seeing her on a panel with Andrew Coyne and a couple other people, though (don't have the link, it's in this thread somewhere), I don't think she meant it that way. She seemed to be saying that some people give him breaks for his horrible behaviour because they think he's too stupid to know any better, and they shouldn't because he isn't.

I wonder how it works with big cases like this. Are lawyers/judges like any other workers in that they share stories about their cases at the "watercooler"? If so Tory must've heard something as he's highly respected and connected in the legal community.

I have a close, long-time friend who is extremely well placed in the Toronto legal community - and I mean very well placed, and this person rings me up on weekends to get the latest on Ford. This person hears a little this and that on occasion and knows of people who have viewed the video though this person has not, so even at this person's high level he/she always says I'm the "go to" person to get the latest on Ford. I get a feeling that Ford isn't viewed as appropriate discussion at this person's level given the sensitivities surrounding him, plus it's politics, that's why I get the call and pass on what I get off twitter and of course this thread and try to summarize the week into some kind of sane narrative.

Doolittle seems to think Ford is smarter than he looks, at least with regards to political strategy. It's not much of a strategy, but he sure plays his character well - and it's gotten him this far. He's still mayor. He still has a base.
I think Robyn Doolittle bends over backwards to give Ford grudging respect in the areas where she believes there's a slim chance he might not be 100% mentally challenged. She really doesn't want people to think she's just out to get him, so she goes a little overboard with the fair-and-balanced thing sometimes.

Doolittle is bang on the nose, Ford is a political monster but at the most primal level and he's a force to be reckoned with. Ford isn't stupid, but he's not all that bright either. A "C-" student in high school, at best. Combine that with next to zero impulse control, addiction and health issues, it subtracts (and I hope will continue to subtract) with his appeal come October if he isn't lead away first. This is why I worry that we could very possibly see him at the helm for another four years.

So this is how Rob makes his decisions:
Matt Elliott ‏@GraphicMatt 20 mins
That really did happen. Rob Ford explained that he got nailed by a red light camera so voted against a motion about red light cameras.

I saw that, he made a comment something like "It's a cash grab... I got nailed $375..." and then voted against it! After about 7pm Council was in disarray and on life support. For those who don't watch, you really should PVR one day of Council some time and catch up on a weekend. Aside from being interesting (much of the time), when one of the Ford's or "Thumbs" starts to unravel, it can get really good. Almost "Breaking Bad" good.

I don't say this lightly but Ford has built up Oct. 27 so much in his mind I can only imagine what his mental state will be when he wakes up the next morning, having received like 17% of the vote and likely knowing that either charges are pending or about to drop on his head. Like, all kidding aside, I'd imagine he'd be near-suicidal given his substance abuse issues and the way his family has set him up for this fall. I hope there's someone there to catch the guy because I have the odd moment of doubt but largely suspect that Oct. 27 will be a far worse day than Rob Ford could possibly imagine, when all the illusions are shattered; about how much people love him, about him being the best mayor ever, about who is looking out for his best interests, about mom and dad and Doug and so on and so on....

Who knows; it may take tear gas or something to remove him from his City Hall office.

Who knows; it may take tear gas or something to remove him from his City Hall office.
Like in Dr. Strangelove, battered down in his office, shouting about fluoride in the water (or whatever his brain-eating worm will crap out combining gravy train, subwayssubwayssubways, and football).

How many hours a day is he there?

Last week? An average of 3.3!

(This week, council really skews it. Rob will show up when you give him the opportunity to vote down making sure senior citizens don't die in a horrible fire.)

Last week? An average of 3.3!

(This week, council really skews it. Rob will show up when you give him the opportunity to vote down making sure senior citizens don't die in a horrible fire.)

To be fair, Rob has been very busy these last two days. He found time for a lot more than sprinklers for seniors!

Josh Matlow ‏@JoshMatlow 5h
During this council meeting, Mayor Ford has voted against native children, kittens, seniors, Olympic drinking & fixing a castle. Really.

Gord Perks ‏@gordperks 4h
@JoshMatlow Missed one. He voted against rainbows too.

Doolittle is bang on the nose, Ford is a political monster but at the most primal level and he's a force to be reckoned with. Ford isn't stupid, but he's not all that bright either. A "C-" student in high school, at best. Combine that with next to zero impulse control, addiction and health issues, it subtracts (and I hope will continue to subtract) with his appeal come October if he isn't lead away first. This is why I worry that we could very possibly see him at the helm for another four years.
sounds like George W Bush!
To be fair, Rob has been very busy these last two days. He found time for a lot more than sprinklers for seniors!

Josh Matlow ‏@JoshMatlow 5h
During this council meeting, Mayor Ford has voted against native children, kittens, seniors, Olympic drinking & fixing a castle. Really.

Gord Perks ‏@gordperks 4h
@JoshMatlow Missed one. He voted against rainbows too.

what was the kittens thing about??

this will be me when Ford is arrested :p
ku-xlarge.gif

...when all the illusions are shattered.....

That's just it, I don't think Ford's illusions CAN be shattered. I think it's ascribing a pathos to him that just doesn't apply. He's brought up in a world where what he thinks, is right. No matter how unrealistic. He'll die before he can see his illusions clearly.

So did the Ford bros vote for in the extension of pub hours so people can drink at 7:00am? Sorry, I am not anti partying, but I'm not much behind this....

It's ironic that watching athletes compete in the olympics is being sold as something that can't be done without the consumption of alcohol - even for breakfast.

this was posted Feb 20 11:14 am
Von Grüning ‏@Von_Gruning 14h
Chillin' with Mayor @RobFordToronto at my place with him rockin' a @Von_Gruning made 'Ford Nation' hat #RobFord pic.twitter.com/dK7mzSYdiH
Bg7hnmqCMAAHyhh.jpg

she is a teenager who wants to be a fashion designer. website has her appearing on some "talented teens" segment of the Marilyn Dennis show or some silly daytime talk show. I guess she made him the hat. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back