News   Jun 27, 2024
 74     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 485     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/10...e-day-ceremony

Oh. What a giant, steaming, stinking pile of BS.

Despite my recent post trying to give a scientific rationale for Ford Nation behaviour, the best explanation I have for J. Warmington and D. Ford is that they have to check in with Satan every night and persuade the Prince of Darkness that they have met their quotas for evil-doing over the last 24 hours ...

To anyone considering going down to express outrage at such arrogant audacity on Rofo and Dohfo's part, I suggest keeping your protest silent, not only to respect the memories of the war-dead, but lest you play right into the Fordos' hands from an "optics" POV.

Last edited:
If Ford indeed comes out for the Rememberance Day ceremony, the police presence will be heavy. We easily forget that there are crazy people on both sides of the spectrum. @therealdamany and unfuckwithable are good examples of mentally unstable nutcases on the left wing. This situation is starting to reach a fever pitch. I just hope Toronto doesn't end up in the news because Ford's foibles pushes somebody too far.

Fortunately, I don't think Toronto is that messed up.
I don't think he should go anywhere near a ceremony tomorrow though. It would be the epitome of disrespect. Will be, I guess.

The only upside is that a lot of FN people who can't handle all of the evidence against the Fords will eventually give up and be extremely angry about having been taken on a ride for such a long long time.

Or, said upside can more ominously flip over to being a downside (cf. MetroMan's anecdote of pro-Ford Entertainment District hooliganism). Extreme anger leading to extreme violence and whatever else.

A little like a civic-unrest version of a guy who, knowing he's lost a domestic-abuse battle, takes a rifle to put the b***h out of her misery, and then himself.

Last edited:
To anyone considering going down to express outrage at such arrogant audacity on Rofo and Dohfo's part, I suggest keeping your protest silent, not only to respect the war-dead, but lest you play right into the Fordos' hands from an "optics" POV.

Yes, totally. My snark is intended for the amusement of Sunday night UT readers. I would be ill for many reasons at the thought that anybody would try to upstage what actually matters at a Remembrance Day ceremony.

We have published and disseminated our open letter to city council in lieu of the Save Toronto Rally this Wednesday at City Hall:

Our members of Toronto City Council:

For the past three years, Toronto has struggled under an ineffective and divisive Mayor. We understand that working under such conditions has no doubt been difficult for you, and we, the citizens of Toronto, have appreciated your efforts to overcome these difficulties. We wish to convey our gratitude for everything you have done as our representatives.

The last six months have been especially trying, as the public was made aware of just how ineffective the Mayor truly has been. We are greatly concerned at how deeply the Mayor’s substance abuse has affected his ability to perform his duties, and how his links to both charged and alleged criminals has placed the Mayor of Toronto under the potential influence of organized crime. We, like yourselves, are convinced that he is no longer fit for the position.

We are especially concerned that his remarkably poor judgment has put him in a position where he could be vulnerable to extortion or blackmail. His lengthy denials and refusal to be truthful with the citizens of Toronto merely allowed those who might manipulate him to continue doing so, and for much longer than would have been possible if he had simply admitted his mistakes. This is absolutely unacceptable, and for this reason, he must be removed from his position, immediately and permanently.

Under the City of Toronto Act, the Mayor can only be removed under a narrow set of specific circumstances, one of which entails being charged of a crime and incarcerated. While the Mayor has not been charged, the spirit of the law has been met. The Mayor of Toronto has now admitted to breaking the law during his term of office - Possession of a Substance, as per Section 4 (1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, to wit, crack cocaine - and therefore no longer holds the moral authority to serve as the leader of law abiding citizens.

As such, we will rally and protest outside City Hall this Wednesday, November 13, starting at 12pm to demonstrate our support for the following measures:

1. Support Councilor Filion’s motion to remove the Mayor’s ability to assign or remove the heads of standing committees, or assign or remove the members of the Executive Committee;

2. Support Councilor Minnan-Wong’s motion to require the Mayor to take a leave of absence;

3. Insist that the Mayor answer questions in Toronto City Council thoroughly and truthfully, explaining what was being exchanged under suspicious circumstances observed in Police surveillance, as the public must be reassured that the Mayor is not accepting bribes;

4. Demand that the Mayor cooperate fully with the Toronto Police Service in advancing their investigations into Projects Traveller and Brazen 2, in which the Mayor is allegedly implicated, for by choosing not to assist the Police, the Mayor of Toronto is aiding and abetting criminal elements thus knowingly placing the public in danger;

5. Propose and support a motion to request the Ontario Provincial Government pass emergency legislation, which would give Toronto City Council the ability to remove the Mayor from his position with a two-thirds majority vote.

We implore you to consider these measures in a prompt and reasonable manner. The City of Toronto has been demonstrably harmed by the Mayor’s behaviour, not only because he has made it impossible for City Council to engage in its normal activities without this ever-present distraction, but also by harming our reputation in the eyes of the rest of the world. The long-term effects on Toronto’s ability to attract tourism and conventions are not yet known, but as our city’s reputation suffers, our city’s economy surely will as well.

Members of City Council, the time for action is now. Please consider these measures carefully in your search for a solution to this event, and please bring this spectacle to a proper end, once and for all.

Signed,
SaveToronto.ca

http://savetoronto.ca/letter
https://www.facebook.com/savetoronto/posts/671138996259489
https://twitter.com/savetdoto/status/399731778794975232

Last edited:
Yeah, really! Maybe JW is a double agent. JW to Doug: Thanks for the big pile of cash! You can be sure I'll totally get your point across and not in any way fuck you over by writing something obviously pathetic and ridiculous.

(Disclosure: I have been drinking, a little. In case it's not utterly obvious, this post and the one before, about Satan, were satirical in intent. The one before the Satan post, about cognitive dissonance, was serious.)

Hahaaa,I'm a bit krunk myself. Watching footy all day and all. Man U beat Arse. Good times. Bedtime now. Have to wake up at 5 to help pay the Ford clowns' salary.As well as Mr Price's.

I personally think he should stay away from the Remembrance Day Service. His attendance would a slap in the face of our vets. Men and women who've lost life and limb defending this country. My grandfather was RCAF in WW2, he would not want a crack head representing the Canada he fought for. He would roll over in his grave to see our cities (montreal and Toronto) so corrupt and likely wonder what he'd fought for. Ford needs to stay away and not try to use it as a ploy for sympathy for his addictions. Just stay home.

I like your edit. Will revise.

Also, "by cooperating with the Police to the best of his ability" gives him an out ("He did the best he could!"). And "public safety" can sound less nebulous and more direct by simply saying "the public's safety" (ie. "your safety"). Try "It is the responsibility of the Mayor to preserve the public's safety by fully cooperating with the Police."

So the whole thing would be: "It is the responsibility of the Mayor to preserve the public's safety by cooperating fully with the Police. By choosing not to assist the Police, the Mayor of Toronto is aiding and abetting criminal elements and knowingly placing the public in danger."

I personally think he should stay away from the Remembrance Day Service. His attendance would a slap in the face of our vets. Men and women who've lost life and limb defending this country. My grandfather was RCAF in WW2, he would not want a crack head representing the Canada he fought for. He would roll over in his grave to see our cities (montreal and Toronto) so corrupt and likely wonder what he'd fought for. Ford needs to stay away and not try to use it as a ploy for sympathy for his addictions. Just stay home.

While I agree with this in principle, I do hope that if he does attend, that people recall the solemnity of the occasion. Agree with him or not, the point of the service is remembrance, not the immediate concerns of the day. It would be terribly disrespectful to our veterans if the the mayor was allowed to overshadow their contribution with his presence. I hope people ignore him.

In the past week I have come across a few Ford supporters that have been somewhat vocal about defending the guy. We can write them off as being ignorant and uninformed, and while this may be the case, the sad reality is that this ideology is what got him elected in the first place. We should be examining what supporters see in the guy, so that any credible opposition knows how to up against him.

Anyways, here are some of the things his supporters see in him:

1. Some old acquaintances on my Facebook who live in north Etobicoke were going on about how much he has done for the community, helping troubled youth in the area. I assume that this referring to his football coaching, but it may also refer to other acts of community service as well.
2. While showing a friend some clips of Ford on The Daily Show, he was going on about who is going to run against him? Note that while not very political for the most part, he is generally right of centre and basically laughed at the idea of Chow or Stintz putting up a credible campaign.
3. While exhibiting some of the same clips in the lunchroom at work, a new girl yelled, "Leave Rob Ford alone!" Apparently at some point he went to her high school (what he was doing in Richmond Hill I have no idea) and that he seems like a pretty nice guy, and that he was human and he makes mistakes like everybody does. Finally when she asked what was so bad about him, besides the LRT fiasco I have to admit I was grasping at straws. She shot down these criticisms anyways, using the blanket statement that all politicians lie.

So what can we gather from such intel? First whoever runs against Ford needs to be visible in local community service. This means more than spending money to help fund initiatives, but needs to be very visible in their efforts. Second they need to have a good platform to run on. This also includes attacking his policy record just as much as his buffoonery, if not more so. And finally they need to have a likable personality and be very honest. Without these natural traits, then Ford could potentially secure another term.

I don't have a problem if the Mayor wants to attend. That's his right and quite frankly, that shouldn't be a decision for us to criticize. But I'm understanding that he'll also be making a speech tomorrow, and that is a I decision have problem with. He should be there to do nothing but silently pay his respects.

Last edited:
facepalm, I wonder if that story will break Monday...we've all been waiting for more to come

Wouldn't be tomorrow. Remembrance Day + Typhoon Haiyan are the stories that will be (and deserve to be) the main focus of the news tomorrow. Bombshells can likely wait a day or two.

Also, J Warmington--content aside-- does not write well.

Just saying.

The Sun is just terrible. They're coasting on the Star's investigative work and I swear Warmington comes up with his columns in 10 minutes after a Ford Bro calls him. I knew Warmington a bit, super nice guy...but he's been up Ford's butt so long.

I agree that he should be ignored if he does show up. Its not about him and Doug. Unfortunately the two of them cannot even grasp the insult to our vets.

Breaking

The police are working on an investigation related to the suitcase full of cash that the broker Mohamed Farah spoke about. The "flashy cars" that were circulating around Dixon with a suitcase full of cash were not Rob Ford's friends. They are alleged to be working for a powerful gangland figure looking to purchase an extortion weapon that would put the Mayor of Toronto in their pocket.

I'm more and more convinced that Ford is really only a poor schmuck that got in way over his head by irresponsibly putting himself in this position. It doesn't excuse the coverup he allegedly directed and thus could still lead to obstruction and conspiracy to extort charges against the Mayor but he's not the big focus for the TPS, only the bumbling clueless bait that was leading them straight to the big fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back