3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 654     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be that they have their own substance/dependency issues. They would empathize with RF because of it. And they would also be more inclined to deny reality.

I wrote about it in previous post, but it's called cognitive dissonance theory. They've created so many excuses and special rules for Ford thus far, all to keep from feeling they were wrong about him, that their cognition does backflips in order to validate itself. Each step he takes away from the person they thought he was, the more illogicality and irrationality they need to find in order to convince themselves they were right.

An easy parallel is how a gambler (all of the actual addiction part aside) who's spent their last dime and mortgaged their home has convinced themselves to get to that point, and how that next spin of the roulette wheel is guaranteed to be a winner; despite the logic that every round has the same odds as every round before it.

So at this point, it's easier for their minds to believe that it's a conspiracy and that his admission is somehow thathe's taking a fall for it or has just given up, and that makes him an "extra good guy". They've built up so many constructs in their mind that a new concept is easier for them to make than to break down all they've built up to validate him (and damage this small section of reality they've created). It's frustrating and fascinating at the same time, and goes towards proving there's no such thing as a shared reality, but our own individual perceptions of the world.

It happens to smart people and stupid people alike. It's dependent entirely on how much that person invests emotionally on the subject, and how little they question themselves.

Yes, the Star actually endorsed Ford for council (it was posted here, months ago, I'm sure). The notion that they are a far left newspaper is outrageous.

Yes, but your first sentence doesn't necessarily lead to your second sentence. (although I'm definitely not disagreeing with your second sentence). As mentioned in the photocopied/scanned article, they simply have one line recommending "some local businessman who just happens to be the son of an area MPP" -- paraphrasing mine.
Back in 2000 nobody really knew anything about Rob Ford. I think even a Liberal-friendly newspaper would have said something similar, back then.

I haven't heard anyone denying that Ford smoked crack. Perhaps your being trolled?

There's always a few wingnuts out there who believe the earth is flat, or that the USA blew up the World Trade Center ... but that doesn't mean that there's any significant support of this.

There are definitely people who believe that the media pressured him into doing a false confession and that this whole thing is a sham.

Other's believe that he smoked crack, but still defend the man and say that the media should stop going after him.

Great post. I have long felt grimly amused by the impossibility of imagining the story of Rob Ford rewritten as the story of Roberta Ford. He owes his entire continued existence as a politician to our tolerance of levels of idiocy in a man that we would never tolerate in a woman. The double standards are always ever present, but in his case they are astonishing.

Oh, so Sue Anne Levy, Margaret Wente, and Rosie diManno are tolerated because?

Plus, look at Sarah Palin.

What I find more interesting is the widespread denial that Ford smokes crack and the idea that this is some sort of liberal media conspiracy even after Ford admitted he did smoke crack. I would love to hear an expert comment on this. I cant think of a logical explanation for this.

I think the answer is..."He's saved us $1billion! And also, I don't read newspapers!"

I forget if the Rex Smith article from yesterday's National Post was posted here but it's a must read. He basically defends Ford and argues that non-elites (like him!) support Ford because they're immigrants or otherwise alienated and don't read newspapers or go on Twitter. They just like that when they call him on the phone he calls back and shows up etc.

So, basically his point is that people who are ignorant of the facts are making the call here, and we should be happy with that. We should be lowering politics to that bar; to the point where people don't care if the chief magistrate is partaking in illegal activities so long as a) they don't know the details b) he gets that fence around the corner fixed. Cognitive dissonance explains some of it too...why someone thinks it's OK for a mayor to (forget about the CRACK) hang out with drug dealers is beyond baffling. To say, "I don't care if he's killing himself as long as I save money on my taxes," is too sick a viewpoint for me to even consider and I fear it's very prevalent.

The Smith article is fascinating reading from one of the country's most obviously-elite writers. Arguing "the facts" is not going to sway anyone who is still sticking with him at this point. Everyone else (even Nunziata and Kelly!) gets it now.

Those people ("Ford Nation," blessed by God and Doug) are operating on an entirely different level and it's not worth it for anyone to stoop to it. If you're actually intelligent and educated, just VOTE.

Last edited:
I wrote about it in previous post, but it's called cognitive dissonance theory. They've created so many excuses and special rules for Ford thus far, all to keep from feeling they were wrong about him, that their cognition does backflips in order to validate itself. Each step he takes away from the person they thought he was, the more illogicality and irrationality they need to find in order to convince themselves they were right.

An easy parallel is how a gambler (all of the actual addiction part aside) who's spent their last dime and mortgaged their home has convinced themselves to get to that point, and how that next spin of the roulette wheel is guaranteed to be a winner; despite the logic that every round has the same odds as every round before it.

So at this point, it's easier for their minds to believe that it's a conspiracy and that his admission is somehow thathe's taking a fall for it or has just given up, and that makes him an "extra good guy". They've built up so many constructs in their mind that a new concept is easier for them to make than to break down all they've built up to validate him (and damage this small section of reality they've created). It's frustrating and fascinating at the same time, and goes towards proving there's no such thing as a shared reality, but our own individual perceptions of the world.

It happens to smart people and stupid people alike. It's dependent entirely on how much that person invests emotionally on the subject, and how little they question themselves.

Yeah, exactly.

Wikipedia on "cognitive dissonance" is very, very good.

Here's the cognitive dissonance explanation for Ford Nation people who are standing by their man (excluding the crazies who say, Whoa, still alive and not surrendering after so much booze and coke, I love him more than ever, party on!!!) ...

The typical FN person has a strong belief that RF is a good mayor, was a good mayoral candidate, it was good to vote for him, and good to persuade family and friends to vote for him too. But along comes all this evidence that RF has major substance abuse problems and spends a lot of time hanging out with criminals.

Naively, one might think that the truth is what really matters, and however painful it might be to discover the truth, FN person will do so, and change their mind about RF in a big way, in a hurry.

Cognitive dissonance theory says, on the contrary, that FN person with the belief that RF is good, receiving evidence that RF is bad, will not look for the truth, but instead look for a set of beliefs that makes the mental pain go away as fast as possible, even if that set of beliefs is objectively ridiculous, e.g., it's okay for RF to admit using crack after 6 months of denial, it's okay for RF to be out of his mind ranting about killing somebody, etc.

Important to note: This is a theory about all humans, with lots of depressingly convincing supporting evidence, not just a thing you can say about Ford Nation.

The only upside is that a lot of FN people who can't handle all of the evidence against the Fords will eventually give up and be extremely angry about having been taken on a ride for such a long long time.

Last edited:
Just thinking:

Could there be a link between Rob's "God Bless" comments and the appearance of that Billboard - like they were some sort of bi-directional signalling happening there between parties try to evade being wiretapped or followed?

Both are very bizarre and very un-Canadian sentiments.

Just thinking:

Could there be a link between Rob's "God Bless" comments and the appearance of that Billboard - like they were some sort of bi-directional signalling happening there between parties try to evade being wiretapped or followed?

Both are very bizarre and very un-Canadian sentiments.

Someone else pointed out that the Fords used to say "God bless Ford Nation" at the end of their show. I think it's just a tactic to appeal to a certain segment of the population.

Someone else pointed out that the Fords used to say "God bless Ford Nation" at the end of their show. I think it's just a tactic to appeal to a certain segment of the population.

I never listened to the radio show... and even though I am Catholic I never use that phrase.

He would not comment on details but a source close to the mayor told me he met Saturday with a doctor, got together with a personal trainer who put him through a workout and also a saw a person with expertise in nutrition.

This is infuriating.

For those of you concerned that the media is focusing too much on Rob Ford's drug dependence, I agree and think it makes him look like a victim which is exactly what he wants. This needs to be made about Ford's alleged ties to organized crime and at the very least about his complacency in allowing criminals to get away by not assisting the police in nailing those who he has associated with. Ford is directly responsible for placing the city in danger by not cooperating with the police. That should be the focus.

The good news is that the media are aware of this but their hands are tied due to libel laws and can only mention these ties out of context. It's coming. As sources get on record and investigative journalists get enough information to make allegations, we'll see the story shift away from a poor guy who has a drug problem and towards a Mayor who is endangering public safety by associating with organized crime.

I've been pushing to get the topic re-framed and have assisted in a letter that will soon be made public. An important line: "It is the responsibility of the Mayor to preserve public safety by cooperating with the Police to the best of his ability. By declining to assist the Police, the Mayor of Toronto is aiding and abetting criminal elements thus knowingly placing the public in danger.". This can't be repeated enough by the media in print, radio and TV and asked in questions to the Mayor. If you want to help shift the focus to this important angle, write your city councillors, or at least in newspaper comments and bring it up in conversations. This is the angle that will make it apparent to even the most stubborn supporter that Rob Ford cannot be allowed to continue as Mayor.

^ I still think he's neither drunk nor high, he's just being RF. Bloody gross RF.

This is one person's opinion, and you can take it for what it' worth, but the opinion of someone gratefully in recovery from a serious addiction to cocaine.

He was definetely on cocaine or some sort of amphetamine substance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back