2.3K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.2K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems slightly scammy to me. If the person raising the money cannot buy the video, he/she gets to keep all the money.

But at least we're 1.6% to the goal

Not according to Gawker:
We're using Indiegogo. We've set a target of $200,000, to be reached within 10 days. If we reach the target, we get the money. If we don't reach the target, you get your money back. If we do reach the target, we will pay the money to the people who have the video. They will give us the video. We will publish the video. You will watch the video.

From the Gawker article:

"Christ, That's a Lot of Money. Yes, it is. But they've got the video! And it's not all about greed, though of course most of it is. The owners of this video fear for their safety, and want enough money to pay for a chance to get out of Toronto and set up in a new town. Their fear is not entirely unwarranted. Rob Ford is a powerful if buffoonish man, and he was wrapped up in a drug scene that purportedly involved many other prominent Toronto figures."

They've made Ford out to be some kind of gangster. Not entirely sure if that's inaccurate.

Ford better hope that no harm comes to the owner of this video. If he were to be hurt or killed over this, Ford would be in for a world of trouble.

forgive me for formatting. I'm on mobile.

Seems slightly scammy to me. If the person raising the money cannot buy the video, he/she gets to keep all the money.

But at least we're 1.6% to the goal

This is Gawker raising the money directly. They're the ones that broke the story. I'm willing to trust them more than some random dude.

This is Gawker raising the money directly. They're the ones that broke the story. I'm willing to trust them more than some random dude.
Oops. I take back what I said about it being scammish. From the gawker article:

"How Does This Work, Exactly? We're using Indiegogo. We've set a target of $200,000, to be reached within 10 days. If we reach the target, we get the money. If we don't reach the target, you get your money back. If we do reach the target, we will pay the money to the people who have the video. They will give us the video. We will publish the video. You will watch the video."

Sounds safe to me. People should be able to donate in confidence

Do not underestimate Conservative hypocricsy. He'll still have a rabid following.
I don't think that's just a right-wing deal. 60s radicals who built bombs that ended up killing people are still admired by some on the left. Personality cults die hard no matter where they are on the political spectrum.

The damage Rob Ford's done to Toronto's reputation and image is just sad. You have Japanese, British and American outlets reporting on the fourth largest city's mayor being a homophobic crack smoker. It's just embarrassing that he made the city a laughing stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back