1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford just "spoke" to the media. It was a brief appearance as he left his office. All he really said was "This is the Toronto Star going after me again." He walked away when a reporter mentioned Gawker breaking the story.

Considering his lawyer has a Hotmail address (as per the Gawker article) and the underwhelming media appearances, he doesn't seem to be fighting these allegations very hard. Who hires a lawyer who uses Hotmail?

I do have to ask - what does Olivia Chow has anything to do with Rob Ford's current episode?

sarnya:

Any normal person reasonably confident of their own behaviour would have dragged out the lawyers and served the papers (instead of getting them to put forth a lukewarm statement), Quite telling.

AoD

Last edited:
You are aware that $800 was worth more 20 years ago than today, and since it was before the condo boom, could afford one a decent apartment downtown, right?

For sure. I paid $1200 in rent in 2008 for a 2 bedroom downtown apartment. It's not unreasonable to think that $800 for a similar unit was fair market value ~20 years ago.

Absolutely nothing AOD.

Ford Nation is just trying to justify the behavior of their crack smoking, homophobic leader.

I would say an attempt at false equivilancy. 'this politcian is a crack smoking bigot, but look at what that politician did!' They're all the same!

Ezra Levant actually tweeted about George Smitherman(who admitted to using drugs, and from what I can tell, clean), and tried to equate him with Ford.

I would say an attempt at false equivilancy. 'this politcian is a crack smoking bigot, but look at what that politician did!' They're all the same!

Ezra Levant actually tweeted about George Smitherman(who admitted to using drugs, and from what I can tell, clean), and tried to equate him with Ford.

Smitherman's drug use was prior to him holding elected office though, correct? As was George W. Bush's cocaine and alcohol abuse.

I wonder if the Star made a calculated choice to not buy it, because they knew the police already had it. Why pay $100,000 for something when it'll probably be entered as evidence (and subsequently shown publicly) anyway?

Then again, it puts them at the risk of having the evidence destroyed, leaving them looking like fools. I would have just paid the $100,000 to completely seal the deal rather than have this very large risk.

I wonder if the Star made a calculated choice to not buy it, because they knew the police already had it. Why pay $100,000 for something when it'll probably be entered as evidence (and subsequently shown publicly) anyway?

According to Kevin Donovan: "traditionally we do not pay for information because it is felt that doing so taints the information. We do buy images from freelancers but that is usually in the neighbourhood of $300 to $500."

Smitherman's drug use was prior to him holding elected office though, correct? As was George W. Bush's cocaine and alcohol abuse.

I think so, not sure to be honest. Whatever Smitherman did in the past has nothing to do with Ford, but Levant is trying to equate Smitherman's past habits to Ford's current habits.

Last edited:
What is there to lie about? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Layton

Olivia chow did live in CMHC subsidized housing and paid under market value until 1990, when they decided to voluntarily increase their rent to market (kudos on them). Both where elected officials before 1990. These are the facts. Whether you think it's greatly justified for them to be living among their peers or not is a separate matter. Who's 'blatantly lying'?

First of all, I'm not going to be drawn into your games. This thread is about FORD and your attempts to try to divert the attention away from him are pathetic. Secondly, we all see what you are trying to do with the deceptive Chow story, so give it up. It's been over 20 years and they did nothing wrong. In fact, I admire them for living in co-op mixed housing and helping that type of housing to exist. Without the market rent, there would be no co-ops at all.

It was about 22 years ago that my brother was paying just under 600 dollars a month for a nice 1-bedroom co-op (market rent) near the Beaches, so 800 dollars for a 2 bedroom sounds very reasonable.

Anyway, let's keep this thread focused where it should be, on mayor Ford and his freak show. That Asian video was hilarious. (hilariously stupid, but funny)

Last edited:
Just a thought ... do you suppose that Ford may have already been offered the chance to buy the video? If I had something like that to sell, I'd approach Ford first because he might be willing to cough up the money to ensure that the video never sees the light of day. I'd only go public about having a video and looking for a buyer if he turned me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back