1.2K     5 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 578     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit to ignorance here, since I never thought you could be 300 lbs and be addicted to crack. The crack whores I see in Toronto always look skinny and wrecked. Maybe the KFC addiction counters the other?

Even the Toronto Sun is reporting that Ford has to speak out about this crack issue.

It's funny how Ford is blaming the Star when the paper had to scrabble when they got scooped by Gawker.

Or perhaps the regular crack user ended up devoting most of their money to drugs instead of food - which isn't exactly a worry for him? Who knows. In any case, blaming Gawker, which has no registration among his core support would not galvanize or mean anything. That core needs an enemy, and the Star is it. That, or fluoridation.

AoD

Last edited:
Metroman:

That's his problem - help was thrust upon him, and he isn't exactly an individual with no means of his own/his birth. Sympathy to the humanity of the situation is one thing, it doesn't equate to him having the right to drag the city down into his funeral pyre. The cold hard truth is - he was never fit for the position he found himself sitting in.

AoD

I wish that this $200,000 that was raised could be used to send Ford somewhere to help with his weight and obesity problems. It would be a nice ending to this sega.

I wish that this $200,000 that was raised could be used to send Ford somewhere to help with his weight and obesity problems. It would be a nice ending to this sega.

He or his circle could easily have afford the help needed for his weight and obesity issues. Resource isn't the problem here, unlike the system as a whole.

AoD

I'm no drug expert, but I doubt that Ford could be rehabilitated between now and 2014. He just has way too many issues.

Whether he is or isn't wouldn't matter. He'd just have to tell them he is.

And I hope voters wouldn't fall for a ploy like that either. But then again, they did vote for him fully knowing his history so I wouldn't put it beyond them.

Exactly.

Maybe I'm being unnecessarily cynical, but I'm just jaded from a) the fact that he was elected in the first place; and, b) the extent that people will suspend belief and defend him.

I have to partially blame Miller, whose antics so angered and polarized the citizenry that Ford could get elected. After this were bound to swing the other way.

Actually no, polarized or not, the inability to use correct judgement rest with the electorate itself, not any politicians before or after. It's like saying I get so angry at a break up that I think I am entitled to go and shoot the ex-partner to get even. False.

AoD

Last edited:
I have to admit to ignorance here, since I never thought you could be 300 lbs and be addicted to crack. The crack whores I see in Toronto always look skinny and wrecked. Maybe the KFC addiction counters the other?

Not everyone who uses crack (or heroin, or whatever) is a "crackhead". And don't forget that Ford is a man of means, so it's not likely that he ever had to choose between groceries or getting high.

There's also the chance (likelihood?) that he has a food addiction.

I have to partially blame Miller, whose antics so angered and polarized the citizenry that Ford could get elected. After this were bound to swing the other way.

As much as I may support her, I'm nervous about Olivia Chow being elected after Ford. I see her being as polarizing (albeit without the scandals) as Ford, just from the other side...and more years of the pendulum swinging to opposite extremes is the last thing the city needs.

The more I read about this, the more I feel sorry for Ford. As much as I hate him, I wouldn't wish this situation on my worst enemy. I can't imagine what he must be going through right now.

As much as I may support her, I'm nervous about Olivia Chow being elected after Ford. I see her being as polarizing (albeit without the scandals) as Ford, just from the other side...and more years of the pendulum swinging to opposite extremes is the last thing the city needs.

Olivia isn't as extreme as some people make her out to be. It's not like she's going to pave all the streets with bike lanes and give out free welfare for everyone. I think she'd be a left leaning Mayor but a responsible one who would compromise with Conservative and centrist councillors to get things done.

Gavin:

Agreed. Ideally it should be a identifable centrist who can build bridges on both sides instead of burning them. In any case, there is quite a bit of soul searching for Torontonians to do yet.

MetroMan:

Her problem is one of perception, and in the inevitable post-Ford era the city requires leaders with less baggage than ever.

AoD

Last edited:
Olivia isn't as extreme as some people make her out to be. It's not like she's going to pave all the streets with bike lanes and give out free welfare for everyone. I think she'd be a left leaning Mayor but a responsible one who would compromise with Conservative and centrist councillors to get things done.

Why are bike lanes considered to be "left wing" anyways. The logic behind the categorization makes no sense to me. Seems like it should be a very non-polarizing thing.

Same thing with subways vs. LRT. You think the Cons would support LRT because of lower costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back