1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 430     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like efforts to convince him to resign failed and he's back on the "they're out to get me" strategy. For how long though? The video is hard evidence and it'll get out. The seller is probably feeling hot under the collar and will probably take any offer now, just to get this off his hands.

Will it get out? Would it not be easier just to delete it and slither back into your hole? They guy is probably scared shitless at this point.

Will it get out? Would it not be easier just to delete it and slither back into your hole? They guy is probably scared shitless at this point.

There's no point in totally deleting it. Even a couple years from now, a copy of it would be worth at least a few thousand bucks.

Am I? Columnist conviniently left out the numbers and dates, I would think that's biased.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Layton

It took Olivia almost 2 years to realize that maybe she should 'up' their rent? Layton was in office since 1982. And the co-op is subsidized by CMHC.

Co-op housing project is a mix of subsidized and unsubsidized units. Rent is scaled according to residents' income. In other words, Jack Layton and Olivia Chow were paying the full market cost for their apartment, i.e. unsubsidized.

I wonder if the Star made a calculated choice to not buy it, because they knew the police already had it. Why pay $100,000 for something when it'll probably be entered as evidence (and subsequently shown publicly) anyway?

Co-op hous[SUP][/SUP]ing project is a mix of subsidized and unsubsidized units. Rent is scaled according to residents' income. In other words, Jack Layton and Olivia Chow were paying the full market cost for their apartment, i.e. unsubsidized.

I lived in the exact same building they did, and had to go through the application process. Like you said, you either pay market rent, or subsidized rent. They did nothing wrong by living there, and since it was a co-op, their presence actually helped the building and community, as they participated in maintaining and running it.

I don't think the police in this city have the kidneys to do the right thing and charge Ford right now.
Charge him with what? They have no evidence.

There's no point in totally deleting it.

Unless you want to stay alive. The idea is to get the money, and then get as far away as possible. Right now, they don't have the money and while possessing the video are a target.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Star made a calculated choice to not buy it, because they knew the police already had it. Why pay $100,000 for something when it'll probably be entered as evidence (and subsequently shown publicly) anyway?

There are major ethical issues, and likely major legal issues, with giving money to admitted criminals who will almost certainly use those funds to finance further criminal acts. I would think The Star's lawyer would not allow payment for that reason alone.

I certainly hope so. I would very much like this to be the end of Ford. We can't have someone who's involved with gangs as or Mayor.

I lived in the exact same building they did, and had to go through the application process. Like you said, you either pay market rent, or subsidized rent. They did nothing wrong by living there, and since it was a co-op, their presence actually helped the building and community, as they participated in maintaining and running it.

Yeah, that's the whole point co-op housing: mixing different people of different incomes together, and preventing low-income people from being isolated and visible to the surrounding community and therefore preventing them from being stigmatized. By simply living there, Jack Layton and Olivia Chow already helped the community.

When I was younger, my family lived in co-op housing (in Mississauga). Our rent was subsidized, but once my mom got a job the rent was increased (whether to market rate I'm not sure - she was a single mom). That's how co-op housing works. It's for everyone. Subsidies are only there for the people who need it.

Most newspapers (excepting some tabloids) have iron-clad rules against paying for stories. I'd be very surprised if the Star was any different.

There are major ethical issues, and likely major legal issues, with giving money to admitted criminals who will almost certainly use those funds to finance further criminal acts. I would think The Star's lawyer would not allow payment for that reason alone.

Very good point. If any "news" outlet were to buy it, I suspect it would be TMZ. They don't have the same ethical standards as newspapers (read: none).

Most newspapers (excepting some tabloids) have iron-clad rules against paying for stories. I'd be very surprised if the Star was any different.

I am not that sure about that. I think lots of very reputable news outlets have paid for stories at one time or another. I think the measure is whether or not it is a real story that you happen to pay for or if it is a story that's existence is reliant on you paying for it.

I think, at times, even the NY Times has paid for stories.

I hate how people on these forums just blatantly lie and try to mislead people. STOP IT!

What is there to lie about? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Layton

Olivia chow did live in CMHC subsidized housing and paid under market value until 1990, when they decided to voluntarily increase their rent to market (kudos on them). Both where elected officials before 1990. These are the facts. Whether you think it's greatly justified for them to be living among their peers or not is a separate matter. Who's 'blatantly lying'?

316170_512095332170836_144458269_n.jpg

Attachments

• 316170_512095332170836_144458269_n.jpg
    316170_512095332170836_144458269_n.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 272
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back