1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put things in perspective...

Ford Smoking Crack Cocaine on his personal time or
Olivia Chow (with Jack Layton) living in subsidized housing while on salary as a City Councillor (how the heck did she even get in when an apperent 60k waiting list exists)

I for one think the latter is a much more sever crime on society.

If anything, I'd be more worried about Doug Ford.. he seems to relish in fastforwarding multi-million/billion dollar developments behind closed doors.

Olivia Chow (with Jack Layton) living in subsidized housing while on salary as a City Councillor (how the heck did she even get in when an apperent 60k waiting list exists)

Except that you are 100% wrong:

http://rabble.ca/columnists/co-op-housing-smear-has-no-merit

js97:

Okay, beyond the fact that the accusation was wrong, how about:

Rob Ford not showing up at work during work hours (vis-a-vis his annual salary) and does not provide an iota of evidence as to his availability.
Rob Ford demanding preferential treatment, and using city resources for private benefit (i.e. the 50th anniversary bash, the TTC emergency bus)
Rob Ford using city paid staff for private benefit (i.e. intern car trips for this coaching work).

Severe crime on society, you say?

AoD

Hold on, hold on - they lived in a co-operative building and paid market rent, not in a subsidized unit. Sorry about how "facts" get in the way.

Breaking news from another source this morning: Rob is being convinced by the people around him to resign. This video will get out and he will either be arrested and lose his job anyway or forced out because of the nature of this scandal. We may just get a Ford resignation today. But since when did he ever listen to those around him? Stand by.

Hold on, hold on - they lived in a co-operative building and paid market rent, not in a subsidized unit. Sorry about how "facts" get in the way.

If he posts that rapidly on the Star, Sun, CBC, Globe, HuffPo, etc. commenting threads he can probably get a lot of dumb followers there to take that typical tu quoque conservative defence. Doesn't need to be right - they've been bringing up the Layton thing for years whenever one of their boys gets in trouble.

Am I? Columnist conviniently left out the numbers and dates, I would think that's biased.

Wiki said:
Layton and Chow had both lived in the Hazelburn co-op since 1985, and lived together in an $800 per month three-bedroom apartment after their marriage in 1988. By 1990, their combined annual income was $120,000, and in March of that year they began voluntarily paying an additional $325 per month

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Layton

It took Olivia almost 2 years to realize that maybe she should 'up' their rent? Layton was in office since 1982. And the co-op is subsidized by CMHC.

I'm not saying Rob Ford is qualified for the Mayoral job, but to think this will be some sort of 'silver bullet' to end his mayoralty. I think the star has has cried wolf one to many times. Almost to the point where citizens are becoming 'de-sensitized' to random Rob Ford shenanigans.

Maybe they should go after what he's actually doing to the city, or not doing.

Last edited:
I am flabbergasted at people. Ford nation is just dismissing this as something made up by the star. I don't care how much I like a politician, I'd know this is true. If the sun came after a political figure I loved (I'm not able to think of one at the moment), I would never assume that they would just fabricate something like this.

Knock knock. John Tory, you're up!

We need someone responsible to run on the right, and he's the only one I can think of right now. I was still grudgingly supporting the mayor up until I woke up this morning to this latest one.

In a perfect world I didn't want Ford to run next time, but this has to be the final nail in his coffin. He may not be charged, but if the video's real (I think it is at this point), even he can't survive.

And no Doug Ford, at any level of government. He's the truly dangerous one.

Ford nation is just dismissing this as something made up by the star.
I am sure that The Star had their entire legal team look all this over extremely carefully before publishing, because Ford could own 1 Yonge in a lawsuit if they were wrong. That's not saying it's automatically true, just that The Star is confident of the facts as they have presented them.

Breaking news from another source this morning: Rob is being convinced by the people around him to resign. This video will get out and he will either be arrested and lose his job anyway or forced out because of the nature of this scandal. We may just get a Ford resignation today. But since when did he ever listen to those around him? Stand by.

The final days of Ford Nation...

I am flabbergasted at people. Ford nation is just dismissing this as something made up by the star. I don't care how much I like a politician, I'd know this is true. If the sun came after a political figure I loved (I'm not able to think of one at the moment), I would never assume that they would just fabricate something like this.

Many of them live in an alternate universe. Almost literally. Social reality is profoundly different for them.

Am I? Columnist conviniently left out the numbers and dates, I would think that's biased.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Layton

It took Olivia almost 2 years to realize that maybe she should 'up' their rent?

I'm not saying Rob Ford is qualified for the Mayoral job, but to think this will be some sort of 'silver bullet' to end his mayoralty. I think the star has has cried wolf one to many times. Almost to the point where citizens are becoming 'de-sensitized' to random Rob Ford shenanigans.

Maybe they should go after what he's actually doing to the city, or not doing.

seriously?? a 23 year old story about a supposed abuse of subsidized housing? that's what you've got?

you are either seriously jaded, deeply cynical, or incredibly naive if you think this story can be conveniently slotted into the category of "random Rob Ford shenanigans", or that somehow this is going to be seen as the Star "crying wolf one too many times". it broke on one of the most high profile websites in the United States, and is blowing up internationally moment by moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back