1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hope it's over, and everyone lays off him and he can just get some help, and coach football. For real.
What school would ever let him anywhere near a student again - unless he makes a very public rehabilitation? Personally, I don't think Rob Ford has the personal strength to do that (though who knows, he's a very stubborn man). I think his coaching career is done.

Let's just hope he doesn't commit suicide or overdose. And given past stories of domestic violence, hopefully the police have enough sense to arrest him before he harms someone.

Well, SAL's abrupt throwing of Ford under the bus in her Bynum article now make more sense. It was almost like she needed something to point to, to say she was an objective journalist and not just a Ford lover/lefty hater. I wonder when our friend with the tape contacted the Sun in his quest for payment?

What school would ever let him anywhere near a student again - unless he makes a very public rehabilitation? Personally, I don't think Rob Ford has the personal strength to do that (though who knows, he's a very stubborn man). I think his coaching career is done.

Let's just hope he doesn't commit suicide or overdose. And given past stories of domestic violence, hopefully the police have enough sense to arrest him before he harms someone.

Yeah, I know. It's impossible now, as it should be. I was just thinking of what his life should have been. Remember that scene in Happy Gilmore when he has to go to his "happy place"? For Ford, I picture that being telling kids to run a nickel defense or whatever.

Now that the euphoria is wearing off, it's dawning on me that he may be a tragic figure. Never convinced of what he said he was so convinced of, just trying to seem like a big shot in a family full of big shots. Maybe he never expected, or wanted, to win the mayorship. For all the talk of his ego, I'm looking back on everything he's done (and hasn't done), and now seeing that he was probably a crack addict the whole time, and everyone around him knew it. He's looking like a total pawn. I knew he alway was, but now I'm almost more angry at those behind him. Perhaps he was a pawn for those with greater ambition; but less political and financial capital. A puppet, if you will. I really think he may be that malleable and stupid. And then powerful, which may be his undoing. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Mostly though I'm celebrating because he's confirmed so many stories about him in one single incident. Pretty much covers the entire gambit - other than the wife beating and death threats (and who knows, perhaps his wife was lying ...).

Following today's developments, I'm willing to give Thompson, his wife and anyone else the benefit of the doubt.

From the National Post:

"Calls and messages to the mayor’s spokesman and his brother were not returned. Just after 1 a.m., all was quiet at Mr. Ford's Etobicoke home. The house's exterior lights were on, while the inside was dark"

Sounds like the media are camping outside his home waiting for the cops to come knocking.

This is all so...delicious. I always thought he'd just eat himself to death before his term was up but to be revealed a homophobic (no surprise) crackhead! is Christmas as far as falls from Grace go.

No, it absolutely will not make him more popular to his supporters. Assuming the footage becomes available and confirmed (to police and/or the media) he'll still have some support but most of Ford Nation will drop like a rock in the lake.
As entertaining as the last seven or eight pages have been, as a compassionate person I hope he gets the help that he appears to need - right after he (and as a bonus, his brother) resign from their positions at the City ending this nightmare for once and for all.

Ford is finished if this video comes out. It's pretty much that simple. If it were anybody other than Ford, I'd be worried that he'd Budd Dwyer himself over night or at a press conference in the morning but Rob loves himself too much.

Actually, *Doug* Ford lives himself too much. For all his surface bravado (maybe egged on by his big brothers), Rob's always seemed uncomfortable in his own skin--and left to his own devices, he can fall apart like jello (like w/his take-me-take-me reaction to his Florida drug bust).

I don't think the video-coming-out itself would do any such thing--already, there's those spinning on how it was a doctored frame-up--but once he realizes how the jig truly is up, he might take action. Though maybe less a la Budd Dwyer than a la OJ in his white Bronco...

Yes, it's all a very sad business. Sad for our City )(which needs leadership), sad for right wingers (whose 'brand' has been damaged) and sad for Ford himself. He is clearly out of his depth trying to be a Mayor and one wonders why he left the fairly comfortable fit of Ward Councillor to take it on. He clearly loves the minutiae of helping citizens get potholes filled or city permits issued but has neither interest nor skill in larger issues like development projects. All in all the whole thing is just sad and unfortunately I doubt it will end well for any of us.

Do not underestimate Conservative hypocricsy. He'll still have a rabid following. And it's highly unlikely he'll go to jail for smoking crack based on a video.

Conservatives: Tough on crime! Right?

1632717_f260.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back