461     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 572     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
just posted, by Joe Warmington/SUN:

Rob Ford's pal was willing to do a book deal, author says

So how much was Sandro Lisi’s behind-the-scenes story of hanging out with then-embattled mayor Rob Ford worth?

One Canadian author and journalist says the price for the pal and part-time driver of the former mayor to break his silence was originally seven figures.

And Robert MacBain would know since he says he was the one who tried to broker a deal for a tell-all book by Lisi with a publishing house.

“I was informed that Lisi would be open to an offer along that line and that he wanted $1 million for exclusive rights to information about his relationship with Mayor Rob Ford and the Ford family,” said MacBain. “I replied, through the mutual friend, that Lisi was dreaming in technicolour and that the most he could expect to get was something in the neighbourhood of $500,000.”

This deal, said the journalist — whose roots date to the Toronto Telegram and was once the news director at 1050 CHUM and a communications director for former prime minster Pierre Trudeau’s 1972 election campaign — was being presented to Lisi’s criminal lawyer Domenic Basile.

“Lisi’s lawyer was advised that the book advance — plus the money that would be received from the National Enquirer and other media outlets — could bring the total to the $500,000 Lisi was asking for,” said MacBain. “Domenic Basile agreed with me 100% that the deal would have to be structured in such a way as not to dilute or interfere with the Crown’s case in any way whatsoever.”

full article at link: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/02/1...or-says?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

edit to add few more quotes

Councillor Rob Ford and Doug Ford did not return calls for comment.
(awww, not talking to Joe anymore??)

MacBain said while he never met or spoke with Lisi directly, he did meet with Basile in his law office twice.

“After some back and forth, I was advised that Lisi was prepared to make a deal for $500,000,” said MacBain. “On that basis, I asked a major publisher to sign a non-disclosure agreement and met with him on Jan. 30, 2014.
(RoFo was spotted with Lisi a week before this at Steak Queen)

MacBain told Newstalk 1010 reporter Dave Bradley Wednesday that five local business people had offered to front $50,000 each and that he, Basile and the “mutual friend” that brought them all together would evenly divide a 15% “agent” fee.

But in the end there was no deal and MacBain said no money ever exchanged hands.

“Negotiations stalled at that point and, by the time Lisi’s lawyer got back to me and told me he was ready to finalize the deal, the police had already gone to California to get Apple to release transcripts of all communications between Lisi and Rob Ford,” said MacBain. “The publisher had reached the conclusion that Lisi and his lawyer were playing us and was no longer interested in the book deal. I made a final offer of $250,000 when I met with Basile in his office on Friday, March 28, 2014.”
(will we ever find out what they got from that phone?)

Last edited:
It's bizarre how he claims to be all about helping the people of Ward 19 yet does nothing but piss on the ideas of people who actually are doing things. It's all about his desire to screw over the Laytons and Vaughans of Toronto politics for their perceived slights against him, but really he stands for nothing. He'll go on and on about how he's fighting for the bike lanes that Mike Layton and 'progressives' are supposedly blocking, then turn around and lecture people on how cars are here to stay and cars equal progress, that's why the Chinese gave up their bikes for more freedom (there is nothing that leads George on a tangent more than associating something with communism). Ugh, what a complete and utter moron.

/soapbox

Of course, keep in mind that Flagg&Co. endorsed Sawision for Ward 19.

Speaking of which, it looks like Neil Flagg's so nutty, he's gotten himself kicked off the *Toronto Taxpayers' Coalition* Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/TorontoTaxpayersCoalition/posts/909450192430419

He definitely seems to be entering "Low Tax Looper" koo koo bananas country now...

From The Star, at this link:

I find He-who-must-not-be-named is looking for anything, anything, even something that will turn up in some future meetings, to complain about. Seems he will not wait for the future meeting... just... in... case....

Sadly, this kind of complexity will play perfectly into Sue Ann Levy's next article. She will rant about how Ford was kicked out by the tax and spenders on Council for demanding accountability. Completely ignoring the fact that it is a) likely a non-issue business trip and b) hasn't even been approved yet anyways. Of course, those two points don't fit in with the simple narrative that Ford and the Sun want to portray.

So now what happens? Does Lisi mysteriously disappear? The trial is coming up in a few weeks.

Not quite. It's the preliminary hearing, which determines if there's sufficient to go to trial. There's usually a publication ban on evidence presented at prelims.

Siobhan Morris @siomo
BTW Doug Ford's reaction when reached by @newstalk1010 " I have no comment whatsoever on Sandro Lisi" #TOPoli

He did work on Doug's campaign.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/onli...5?hootPostID=a6279b0463de28d613c0217e7bb7c220

The Sun came to mind when I read this.

Siobhan Morris @siomo
On the Sandro Lisi book deal story, Rob Ford will join @MooreintheAM at 7:40 am tomorrow #TOPoli #Toronto

See, he acted out when a big news story was about to break!

Last edited:
Wow, isn't that a very early start for our former mayor?

siomo 10:23pm via TweetDeck
On the Sandro Lisi book deal story, Rob Ford will join @MooreintheAM at 7:40 am tomorrow.

Siobhan MorrisVerified account
‏@siomo
FWIW, Rob Ford reached out to the morning show. He VOLUNTEERED to speak with John Moore. #TOPoli

I wonder just how much Lisi knows. This is some fun damage control!

Last edited:
I wish we could go back to when all the poop started to hit the fan and document how many times he behaved badly and then a story came out hours later. It's incredible to think that whenever he behaves badly, everyone expects something to come out soon after.

I also wonder if the cops are still investigating the bomb threat at city hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back