1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 564     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
We seem to be forever getting this wrong. It's the Thomson family. Roy Thomson Hall. Sarah Thomson. Michael Thompson. Saw a graphic on the local CBC news about a month ago that said Roy Thompson Hall.

Do the Thomson's have anything to do with the Globe anymore? I thought it was now Bell Globe Media.

I wondered how it was that Sarah Thomson's husband was related to the newspaper/AGO Thomsons. I couldn't find any connection. But when I was reading about the Rosedale Golf Club the other day, I noticed that one of the listed prominent members was a Thomson who formerly headed up one the banks. So maybe she married into that family.

When BellGlobeMedia bought the balance of CTV they split off the Globe back to the Thomsons. (2010ish)

Korean and dog, there is a stereotype of Koreans eating dogs, it's a take off something a Ford would say.
You say that ... but the only place I've seen dog (literally) on the menu was in Seoul. And the only people I've know to have eaten dog, also took place in Korea.

So, is it a stereotype, and have I just not noticed it on the menu in other countries?

We seem to be forever getting this wrong. It's the Thomson family. Roy Thomson Hall. Sarah Thomson. Michael Thompson. Saw a graphic on the local CBC news about a month ago that said Roy Thompson Hall.

Do the Thomson's have anything to do with the Globe anymore? I thought it was now Bell Globe Media.
Bell Globemedia became CTVglobemedia (again), and then there was a split, with the Globe becoming 85% owned by Woodbridge. Woodbridge is the holding company for the Thomson family.

So the Thomsons very much control the Globe and Mail again. Given the long links between the Thomson and Torys, is the endorsement a surprise? Knowing that the Thomson family has a veto over the Globe's endorsements ...

But when I was reading about the Rosedale Golf Club the other day, I noticed that one of the listed prominent members was a Thomson who formerly headed up one the banks. So maybe she married into that family.
Ah yes - John Tory's golf club, that until the late 1990s, didn't even let Jews in. Hmm ...

Agar/Kanten is a replacement - and it's derived from algae. Not exactly the same, though I find it firmer and more pleasant than gelatin.

AoD

So is pectin (fruit extract). And there are veggie gummy worms too.

L23, vegetarian for over 25 years now. :)

That's up to the vegetarian though. Some do, some don't. There's no universal code or anything ... I've even seen a self-identified "vegetarian" happily down a lobster they saw cooked from live that makes even a meat-lover like me feel guilt because in their world, shell-fish isn't meat.

Vegetarian is no meat or fish (and no gelatin or other meat byproducts from dead animals). There are people who claim to be vegetarian and eat fish, or chicken, or whatever, but they're talking bollocks. Then there's vegan, which is no animal products at all (no cheese, eggs, milk, leather, honey, etc). I'd be tempted to become vegan if it wasn't for my love of cheese (some of which is made with animal rennet, so again not vegetarian).

Bell Globemedia became CTVglobemedia (again), and then there was a split, with the Globe becoming 85% owned by Woodbridge. Woodbridge is the holding company for the Thomson family.

So the Thomsons very much control the Globe and Mail again. Given the long links between the Thomson and Torys, is the endorsement a surprise? Knowing that the Thomson family has a veto over the Globe's endorsements ...

Does make one wonder why Tory was all pissed at them a few weeks ago though, eh? They're first out of the box too, after all that.

Scored earth perhaps?

At least go with a local example! (Stolen from this Torontoist article...)

View attachment 35838

2014_09_03_byebyebmo2.jpg

Attachments

• 2014_09_03_byebyebmo2.jpg
    2014_09_03_byebyebmo2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 602
So is pectin (fruit extract). And there are veggie gummy worms too.

L23, vegetarian for over 25 years now. :)
My daughter is vegetarian; has been for 10 years. Hadn't heard about the gummy worms, I'll check them out :)

Vegetarian is no meat or fish (and no gelatin or other meat byproducts from dead animals). There are people who claim to be vegetarian and eat fish, or chicken, or whatever, but they're talking bollocks. Then there's vegan, which is no animal products at all (no cheese, eggs, milk, leather, honey, etc). I'd be tempted to become vegan if it wasn't for my love of cheese (some of which is made with animal rennet, so again not vegetarian).

Good summary :) Daughter tried being vegan, but it was the eggs and honey that did her in. It would definitely be the cheese for me.

One person's bollocks is another persons reality.

We tend to rely on self-identification for various groups. Who am I to tell a vegetarian they aren't a vegetarian because they had a Bloody Mary?

We tend to rely on self-identification for various groups. Who am I to tell a vegetarian they aren't a vegetarian because they had a Bloody Mary?

When their grandparents were persecuted for their dietary beliefs.

Does make one wonder why Tory was all pissed at them a few weeks ago though, eh? They're first out of the box too, after all that.
I fully would think John Tory contacted his old golfing buddy Thomson, and asked him to get the paper in line. While we have evidence the Thomson's are interfering with major editorials at the Globe and Mail, they certainly aren't vetting every piece. I bet there were some words though ...

If only a reporter from another paper would ask John Tory if he spoke to any of the Thomson's about the Globe!

Any of the Fords can proclaim themselves to be the best mayor Toronto could possibly ever have, but it would be just as much complete bollocks as someone claiming to be vegetarian while eating a lobster. If someone claims to be vegetarian and eats animal products, they're talking bollocks. It's not subjective, there's an objective definition.

I fully would think John Tory contacted his old golfing buddy Thomson, and asked him to get the paper in line. While we have evidence the Thomson's are interfering with major editorials at the Globe and Mail, they certainly aren't vetting every piece. I bet there were some words though ...

If only a reporter from another paper would ask John Tory if he spoke to any of the Thomson's about the Globe!

Not to put too fine a point on it, I'm pretty sure the Globe & Mail would have endorsed Tory with or without prodding from the owners. Old guardian of the near right and old money, it's kind of a natural.

Any of the Fords can proclaim themselves to be the best mayor Toronto could possibly ever have, but it would be just as much complete bollocks as someone claiming to be vegetarian while eating a lobster. If someone claims to be vegetarian and eats animal products, they're talking bollocks. It's not subjective, there's an objective definition.
To some. One definition of a vegetarian, is one "who does not eat meat, and sometimes other animal products" I copied that verbatim. So for some, that doesn't preclude Jello or Worcestershire Sauce.

I've known "vegetarians" who looks at me strange if I ask about using shortening or lard ... and it's never crossed their mind not to eat anything with lard in it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, I'm pretty sure the Globe & Mail would have endorsed Tory with or without prodding from the owners. Old guardian of the near right and old money, it's kind of a natural.
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised. But I still bet you that John Tory called Thomson!

Seriously people... perhaps consider starting a thread on the definition of vegetarianism?
That's what happens in Ford's Toronto. But also isn't all this election talk off-topic too? Much of it should be in the election thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back