411     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 563     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 566     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of city council is like that - voting on things just to piss off those they hate. It's pathetic. Toronto needs to clean house, the sooner the better.

I strongly disagree with this statement. The majority of council on both left and right are usually reasonable people who, under normal circumstances, support to the local councilor on issues that concern single wards. However, it's very depressing that Ford's pettiness has basically rubbed off on the reputation of council as a whole. I'm also disheartened when people respond to Ford's conflict of interest by saying "everyone does it, it's just that Rob Ford got caught". Ford's misdeeds have transformed us into a city of cynics (well, more so than we were before).

My feelings as well. Other than Mammolitti and Perks, who else on council do you hear getting into arguments all the time?

A fascinating story unfolding. But right now the strategic upper-hand is all on the Ford side. Sad but that is how I see it. The only bomb shell would be for a strong centre-right candidate to enter the ring or a far right-candidate to challenge Ford and split his vote. Any challenge from the left or downtown would in my opinion lead to a squeaker win for Ford in a head-to-head battle.

If you can't convince me as an un-party affliated downtowner who has no problem with some aspects of both "right-wing" and "left-wing" policy directions to vote Vaughn or Chow, they stand no chance against Ford. In a Ford versus Chow head-to-head I wouldn't vote. This is coming from someone who is passionate in his desire for Ford to not be mayor.

Has Olivia Chow even suggested that she would be interested in running for mayor? I'm not clear why people (and the media) keep bringing her up.

Shelley Carroll seems interested in the job. And what about Karen Stintz?

After a heated council meeting Thursday night descended into insults and threats, Coun. Shelley Carroll claims she is done being “coy” about her leadership ambitions and says she should be the candidate to oppose Ford in an election.

“I think I could run this city a damn sight better than the current mayor and abide by the law while doing it,” Carroll told reporters on Friday, adding that she thinks people should rally around one opposing candidate.

----------

http://www.respectdemocracy.ca/

One wonders if the people behind the Respect Democracy website will respect democracy if Ford is democratically not elected in a by-election?

Last edited:
Fords don't understand Section 37 because they don't understand the need to build, improve and maintain a city. So perhaps he sees opportunity for shakedowns. He did target funds from a Lowes development in his ward towards his personal obsession, using them to build a locker room for his football team. Want to call that a shakedown? Sure, the word fits. But elsewhere the funds are building parks, and yellow bridges and landscape improvements and library branches.

What a mess if Ford runs in a by election. Could council determine that $7 million to run a referendum on Rob Ford is a waste of money and decide to appoint someone instead, freezing Ford out? Would that require a 2/3 vote or just a majority?

I see the Respect Democracy reasoning for Ford to be reinstated is because of a "technical objection over how he raised money for underprivileged kids". Revisionism at its best. Unfortunately, some people actually believe that and scream and wail and tell others to "think of the children"!!!

Last edited:
People are assuming the left would split the vote. What about the right? With Mamo, Minnan Wong and Holiday jumping ship, it isn't inconceivable that a right winger would compete against Ford.

Plus, I wouldn't consider someone like Stintz to be ideologically opposite - she is a mushy moderate. I could see upwards of four or five serious candidates for the by-election, similar to 2003. I think with more solid candidates in the race the more people will reconsider why they voted for an unqualified mayor in the first place.

I can't imagine that the right-wing is going to put forward Ford as their candidate in 2014. That alone will cut into much of Ford's support. Also with the Toronto Sun attacking Rob Ford, that would hurt as well.

But most importantly, by 2014, we'd have whoever council appoints for the remainder of the term. Assuming that an appeal is not heard.
No need for appeal. The re-election could happen right away, with Ford as a contender. http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...ge-says-mayor-can-compete-to-replace-himself/

Olivia Chow will be in Scarborough with Rathika Sitsabaiesan next week to discuss immigration issues. Another hint at a possible mayoral run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back