3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 699     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I predict a landslide re-election victory for Ford. In the minds of the ignorant mob, we've just seen a well heeled lawyer (to many, as reptilian a profession as politician) and the lefties depose the people's mayor over $3,100 and some procedural rules. Truth or fiction no matter.... I predict a landslide.

The lefties should have been hoping he'd win the case and continue his decline into obscurity. Now he's back in the fight.
I can't imagine that the right-wing is going to put forward Ford as their candidate in 2014. That alone will cut into much of Ford's support. Also with the Toronto Sun attacking Rob Ford, that would hurt as well.

But most importantly, by 2014, we'd have whoever council appoints for the remainder of the term. Assuming that an appeal is not heard.

Ford can not run in a by-election. The judgement reads that he can run beyond the current term. Ford will be out and forgotten in 2 years.

Now to his replacement. As much as I want to see a different direction for the city, this is still Ford's term. Appoint his deputee Doug Holyday as his replacement. What does this mean for the other Doug? Doug Ford's a rookie councillor who's only power came from brother being the Mayor. He's falling to irrelevance after this.

A by-election costing 7 million for less than a 2 term is a pretty big waste of money.

If Chow runs, there is a high likelyhood that she will push people back to Ford.

Sad situation when you have such a low caliber of candidates for such a great city.

The "Mayor" is supposed to proclaim tomorrow Toronto Argonauts day following a parade up Bay St. to Nathan Phillips Square. Will football-loving Ford be denied that triumph, or will he be allowed to speak as it's during the 14-day transition? Will he be cheered or jeered?

So, some of the commentary I have been reading seems to be suggesting that Rob Ford might not be allowed to run in a by-election. The language of the ruling is:
In view of the significant mitigating circumstances surrounding the respondent’s actions, as set out in paragraph 48 of these reasons, I decline to impose any further disqualification from holding office beyond the current term
The question is whether the term ends when Ford is removed from office, or when the next regular election is called. The language in various other legislation seems to suggest that a by-election simply fills an existing term and that the term ends at the regularly scheduled election. If that is the case, Ford would have to wait two years to run again. It seems strange that the ruling wouldn't be more explicit in that regard if it determined that he shouldn't be allowed to run in a by-election.

The "Mayor" is supposed to proclaim tomorrow Toronto Argonauts day following a parade up Bay St. to Nathan Phillips Square. Will football-loving Ford be denied that triumph, or will he be allowed to speak as it's during the 14-day transition? Will he be cheered or jeered?
If he goes, I expect both cheers and jeers.

I predict a landslide re-election victory for Ford. In the minds of the ignorant mob, we've just seen a well heeled lawyer (to many, as reptilian a profession as politician) and the lefties depose the people's mayor over $3,100 and some procedural rules. Truth or fiction no matter.... I predict a landslide.

The lefties should have been hoping he'd win the case and continue his decline into obscurity. Now he's back in the fight.

I believe you are completely incorrect in your prediction.

If RF is stupid enough to put himself up for reelection, then I will revisit your post after the election result. Many of RF's supporters have deserted him, and a good many Torontonians who didn't vote last time around will show up next time to ensure that a competent candidate wins. While some voters can't be cajoled into using their brain in any way, other voters can at least learn something, some of the time, or at the very least they have some sort of memory.

From Daniel Dale:
Ford says this comes "down to left-wing politics." Says he'll appeal, "fight tooth and nail" to keep his job.

I guess the judge was a bike-riding pinko?

And I was wondering when we'd hear from Doug:
CP24: "The mayor's brother, Doug Ford...actually pushed several reporters...and said, 'When I say 'excuse me,' excuse me."

Actually I think the problem right now isn't with the left per se - but of the right. At some point, the right will have to decide whether RF is worth the trouble it is causing their brand.

As to RF winning by a landslide - I can see a countermovement of anyone-but-Ford coming up if he decides (as it would appear he has) to throw his hat into the rink again. And again, the right will have to decide whether the fall behind RF's brand or support someone with less baggage.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back