3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 701     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking the same thing. I wonder if there is a senior right wing figure - maybe one of the bagmem who supported him last time - who is willing to drive out to Etobicoke to give Mr. Ford his Goldwater Moment.

I didn't vote for Ford last time but will this time if he runs again. He came through with many of his pledges.

Actually I think the problem right now isn't with the left per se - but of the right. At some point, the right will have to decide whether RF is worth the trouble it is causing their brand.

I agree. It's somewhat reminiscent of the recent US Presidential race. The Republicans allied themselves with so many nutjobs and extreme positions, that it turned off many independents, women, minorities, gay people, etc. and cost them the election.

At the same time, the Left needs to be wary of splitting the vote. While Olivia Chow has been touted recently (she has left-wing credibility, plus is a woman, plus is a person of colour), she could split the vote with the likes of Vaughan or Stintz. The Left needs to pick one person and rally behind her/him.

Persuading city councillors to cut their office budgets to $30,000 from $50,000.
Privatizing garbage collection.
Abolishing the $60 vehicle registration tax.
Making the TTC an essential service.

Personally I think it should be an election of the might centre - clearly there is an appetite in the city for fiscal restraint, but in a targeted way with a minimum of drama and ideological posturing.

AoD

Persuading city councillors to cut their office budgets to $30,000 from $50,000.
What about his biggest one.

No service cuts.

He didn't even try and keep that one. He was quite clearly lying when he promised no service cuts.

What about his biggest one.

No service cuts.

He didn't even try and keep that one. He was quite clearly lying when he promised no service cuts.

Such as?

LOL, don't hurt yourself twisting like that.

We don't know how much private gasrbage collection is going to cost us....you're a little premature on that one.
Abolishing a much needed tax is questionable....but you'll vote for him no mater what.

How much will it cost us to make TTC an essential service?

Ford nation would do better if you actually thought about the ramifications...but you won't, you'll vote for ford no matter what.

Rob Ford could try to do what Mohamed Morsi did in Egypt and declare himself that his decisions are supreme, irrevocable and immune against appeal before any court of law in our land. Which, in a way, Rob tried to do already, but failed. Not that Rob is not attempting that at the moment by continuing to fight it.

TTC route cuts. Increase of TTC loading standards, meaning more people stuffed on few vehicles. Reduced library hours. Swimming pool closures. Reduced programs at community centres. Funding cuts to homeless problems (which will eventually revert one of Millers major successes ... far less visible homeless people on the streets).

And those are just the ones he managed to get through. The list of what he was trying to get was huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back