News   Jul 16, 2024
 583     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 727     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
These two clowns could even manage to spell Toronto wrong. #torona

I have a theory about how these spelling mistakes occurred. They were initially spelt correctly but just before posting the transit plan online Doug had a last look at it and notice Done Mills and Eglington were wrongly spelled. He pulled a tantrum, fired the taxpayer funded aide responsible for this "stupid" mistake, called him/her an entitle elitist and got it corrected ASAP.

But that's not quite right. Think back to the early days of her campaign: she positioned herself as "the only one who can beat Rob Ford." It was ALL about him, Tory was a non-entity. But for some reason, here strategists' bone-headed approach was to try to beat Ford by playing Ford's game. So she was all about short slogans and repetition, keeping taxes low, personal anecdotes, etc. etc. Any hint of lefty progressive type stuff was kept safely under wraps. She moulded herself into a fake populist politician, it was a poor fit and it showed, and her base hated it.

The thing that really killed her, though, was Soknacki. She spent the entire summer in centrist guise, saying all the wrong things, while here was this principled, progressive, proud nerd type saying all the right things (I hate to say it, but from the relative safety of being essentially a fringe candidate, with a lot less risk involved in taking a hard line on policies---for example, imagine the fight on his hands if he'd been elected and actually tried to remove street parking on major arteries). Chow's natural base ate it up and shifted allegiance en masse. If Soknacki had never come along, she might have been able to keep them, who knows. But his very existence underscored the disappointment in her campaign position, and he almost forced her to shift tactics and adopt more clearly stated leftist positions (ditching Warren Kinsella in the process---I wonder how much of this fake populist messaging was his doing).

Soknacki dropped out but the damage was already done. I get the sense that many former Chow supporters honestly felt betrayed, and are now reluctant to come back to her and unsure of what to do. Which, in my opinion, is crazy in the face of the alternatives, and a pretty terrible outcome of this campaign.

I agree with a lot of this. I also agree with post you responded to. In short, there's so much to point to about where Olivia has gone wrong that we can all be right.

But I agree that the biggest mistake of all was alienating her base at the very outset. She was so sure her progressive base would stick with her no matter what that her opening gambit was 'value of a dollar' and 'low taxes'. Her campaign expected the left to see through the presentation and latch on to the goodies in her platform

Wrong. Always, always, always secure your base first. You can announce more moderate policies as the race goes on to attract a broader range of voters. Horvath made this mistake too, and look where that got her.

Which brings me to the second problem: There are not many goodies in her platform. It's thin and disjointed, and oh yeah, 'children'. Progressives wanted vision and a solid plan, she gave them milk and cookies. You're absolutely right about the appeal of Soknacki - he gave those voters what they expected from her.

So yeah, her base will probably trickle back, but it won't be with much enthusiasm I don't think.

CityNews Toronto ‏@CityNews 9s
UPDATE: Doug Ford has dropped out of the noon debate at the Empire Club. #TOpoli
Ann Hui ‏@annhui 3s
Doug Ford says from now on, he will not attend any debates "that will cost residents money to participate in"

Well now...

Don't most debates require buying a ticket?

45 Minutes before it starts. Suddenly he realized he couldn't pack the audience with FN

Elizabeth Church ‏@lizchurchto 1m
Doug Ford has pulled out of debate at Empire Club, saying $800 a table price tag means not everyone can attend.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 42s
"This afternoon I’ll be canvassing and connecting with real people at their doors" Doug Ford on skipping Empire Club debate #TOpoli

So basically, the business community isn't made up of "real people." They are the ones who make things happen in this city...

boberto ‏@thebobert 2m
@reporterdonpeat so apparently small business owners and entrepreneurs aren't real people and don't contribute to this city.

Ivor Tossell ‏@ivortossell 4m
Let's start by not repeating Ford's line about tickets costing $800 (er, a table)… they cost $80 a person.

There is a free debate tonight. Will he pack that one with Ford Nationals?

Last edited:
45 Minutes before it starts. Suddenly he realized he couldn't pack the audience with FN

Doug Ford has pulled out of debate at Empire Club, saying $800 a table price tag means not everyone can attend.

This looks like a petty counter move to Tory's announcement that he will avoid debates unless all three main candidates are present. Now Tory's choices are either back out too and piss off more people, or show up and look silly for that announcement.

So basically, the business community isn't made up of "real people." They are the ones who make things happen in this city...

There is a free debate tonight. Will he pack that one with Ford Nationals?

My friend who works for one of the rival campaigns suspects the Ford's pay those rowdies to show up, but it'd be too costly to do that every debate lol. When they do show up they apparently are there like an hour beforehand ready to go!

$80 per person or $799.99 per table of ten. Same amount. But wasn't DoFo's fundraiser $125 a seat? or was that also by table. Either way he's full of shit and chickened out at the last moment with this lame excuse. He keeps touting himself as a "businessman" yet he's going to skip out on that demographic?

Only $80 per person, though. $800 is if you want a 10-person table for your group and not be seated randomly.

I realize that $80 is a lot for some people as well, but it seems like another instance of Doug invoking the 'regular folks' defence when at other times he seems very comfortable spouting the 'run this city like a business' line among the business elite.

Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 1m
Rob Ford spoke at the Empire Club in 2010 as a mayoral candidate and again in 2011 as mayor.

Apparently, what is good for Rob isn't good enough for Doug!

My friend who works for one of the rival campaigns suspects the Ford's pay those rowdies to show up, but it'd be too costly to do that every debate lol. When they do show up they apparently are there like an hour beforehand ready to go!

Are they paid in $20 bills?

If I was hosting a debate over the next month, I would cancel it now. Why put all the work in when the two rich white boys randomly withdraw with little or no notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back