4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
"They’re like the Canadian Kennedys" Ford supporter & campaign volunteer on Rob Ford & Doug Ford
https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/513481904327516160

What a joke. I got to see the inside of a lot of homes in Metro. President Kennedy's picture hung on the walls of many of them. Right next to Jesus Christ and the pope.

View attachment 34190

"If Doug Ford can become the champion of the many who continue to take Rob Ford’s agenda to heart, the math suggests the mayor’s office can be his."
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited:

What kind of butter?

c480x270_18.jpg

OmG We smoked in movie theatres (back rows only please) same with planes. My mother smoked in the car windows up full of kids. It was nuts. (Im a sixties baby, it was even worse before.)
My high school (Quebec Grade 12+13 - college they call it) cafeteria was smoking. If you wanted non-smoking you went to the library - though you weren't allowed to eat there. And it was pretty thick smoke too - clearly not well ventilated. And this was the mid-1980s! These days I have a chronic cough, and it would have driven me crazy ... back then ... well, you were used to it. I can't imagine how badly I smelled coming home ... though given the school was next to and downwind of a cigarette factory, perhaps the smoking didn't make that much different. (on the odd day when wind blew the other way, it was the licorice factory on the other side that you could smell in class).

Times changed very fast between the mid-1980s, and late 1990s by which point smoking was very much banished from so many places where it had always been.

I remember going to Swiss Chalet when there was an open smoking section and a Timmies with a glassed in one. A lot has changed even recently.

And of course, Coffee Time was the "glassed in smoking section" venue par excellence...

Times changed very fast between the mid-1980s, and late 1990s by which point smoking was very much banished from so many places where it had always been.

My father tells a wee joke: Used to be you'd walk into a shop and say "Can I have a pack of smokes...and add quietly "and a pack of comdoms?" Now you walk into the shop and say can I have a box of condoms ...and add quietly "and a pack of smokes."

My father tells a wee joke: Used to be you'd walk into a shop and say "Can I have a pack of smokes...and add quietly "and a pack of comdoms?" Now you walk into the shop and say can I have a box of condoms ...and add quietly "and a pack of smokes."

I worked in thoracic surgery at TGH in the 70s. The staff lounge on the unit was full of smokers. We dealt mostly with lung cancer. Times change.

That's not true. This is a stage IV liposarcoma with at least one macroscopic metastasis. There is undoubtedly microscopic disease elsewhere. Between the aggressive histology ("pleomorphic") and an unresectable primary, the only first line treatment is similarly aggressive chemo. The five-year survival rate may be as low as 20% and no higher than 36%. That's all aside from chemo toxicities and anything else that might happen.

You raise a question I've been wondering about. Ford has two tumours, but presumably in the same "organ" (the fatty tissue of the abdomen). Is the second smaller tumour considered a metastasis? I ask because a colleague had separate tumours in her breasts, but she never referred to them as mets.

My high school (Quebec Grade 12+13 - college they call it) cafeteria was smoking. If you wanted non-smoking you went to the library - though you weren't allowed to eat there. And it was pretty thick smoke too - clearly not well ventilated. And this was the mid-1980s! These days I have a chronic cough, and it would have driven me crazy ... back then ... well, you were used to it. I can't imagine how badly I smelled coming home ... though given the school was next to and downwind of a cigarette factory, perhaps the smoking didn't make that much different. (on the odd day when wind blew the other way, it was the licorice factory on the other side that you could smell in class).

I worked in thoracic surgery at TGH in the 70s. The staff lounge on the unit was full of smokers. We dealt mostly with lung cancer. Times change.

In the 1970's I was a little kid riding to hockey practice in the back of a pickup truck. If you fell off a swing set back then, your head could hit hard concrete. As a kid back then, I had no idea what a rough thing it could be not to be white and straight (or to be female, in too many families). My (admittedly rambling and fuzzy) point is that as a society we're learning and improving, albeit slowly and imperfectly.

How this connects to the Ford Nation phenomenon: (1) In Toronto, do what you can to get out the youth vote; they are not wise like us olds, but they're much better than we were when we were young; (2) whatever doesn't kill Ford Nation in 2014 makes it weaker next election.

Commie hunter Graeme McEacheran (who 'threatened' the world that he would delete his latest Twitter account but did not, more's the pity), apparently now working for Doug, claimed on Twitter that, in addition to his <45 minutes in Etobicoke, Doug Jr canvassed in Scarborough on Saturday. Anyone seen a shred of evidence for that? (I can't find any.)

Last edited:
Commie hunter Graeme McEacheran (who 'threatened' the world that he would delete his latest Twitter account but did not, more's the pity), apparently now working for Doug, claimed on Twitter that, in addition to his <45 minutes in Etobicoke, Doug Jr canvassed in Scarborough on Saturday. Anyone seen a shred of evidence for that? (I can't find any.)

If ever there were a claim that begged for the meme... "PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back