78     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 827     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 962     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's harsh. She committed an error and admitted it. If she gets prison time, then she should resign but this is a traffic infraction. Everybody does it at some point in their lives. They believe they're fine and they get behind the wheel. I don't condone drinking and driving but resigning over it is a step too far.
It's not a traffic infraction. It's a criminal offense under the Criminal Code of Canada.

That's harsh. She committed an error and admitted it. If she gets prison time, then she should resign but this is a traffic infraction. Everybody does it at some point in their lives. They believe they're fine and they get behind the wheel. I don't condone drinking and driving but resigning over it is a step too far.

if she resigns, at least that shows moral character. an example for Frod to follow?

She was driving while drunk. No one should be let off lightly for such behaviour. Asking her to resign is light punishment for what is a serious offense. And don't generalize all people--I've never driven with alcohol in my system. Some people are actually responsible.

Uh, actually, "criminal offense" or not, how many politicians have we had resign (and I don't just mean "temporary leave") over something as simple as driving while drunk? Usually if they had to resign, something more serious'd be involved (like, say, a fatal accident); or else it'd be through hamhanded handling a la Rob Ford and conflicts of interest...

"And I think he’s doing the right thing. He's skipper of the ship and, you know, when the ship is sinking, he's got to tell the crew: ‘That's it. We've got to move on.'"

And here I thought that the Captain was to go down with the ship.

Everybody does it at some point in their lives.
Everybody drives at over 80 mg/100mL? Absolutely untrue. I documented in another thread what driving at about 40 mg/L (which is perfectly legal) felt like - and it made me uncomfortable, and I've made sure never to repeat it. I can't imagine any rational human being ever getting in a car at over 80 mg/100mL. It's not something you do by accident.

Over 80 mg/100mL is a very serious criminal offence, this is not just a traffic violation. It also demonstrate a complete and total lack of judgement.

Now if she blew 51 mg/100mL, it might be a different discussion. Or if she was 18 and had never drunk alcohol before perhaps. What did she blow? All I know is that it was over 80 mg/100mL.

Last edited:
Something worth trying. Plug some numbers in here and see what you get....

http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org

I've tried a few different calculators like this over the years, and I'm always somewhat shocked to know how much I'd have to drink before I would be likely to blow over 0.08. Have also tried a breathalizer and was surprised to see how low my BAC was at the time (under 0.08, when I felt I was clearly in no condition to drive).

Mind you, I'm male and ~200lbs.... so a female weighing much less than myself would not need to drink quite as much. But still..... I think 0.08 is a pretty high limit, and if you're topping that, it should be *VERY* clear that you should not be driving.

Uh, actually, "criminal offense" or not, how many politicians have we had resign (and I don't just mean "temporary leave") over something as simple as driving while drunk? Usually if they had to resign, something more serious'd be involved (like, say, a fatal accident); or else it'd be through hamhanded handling a la Rob Ford and conflicts of interest...

Further to that, B.C. premier Gordon Campbell pleaded guilty to drunk driving in Hawaii, most emphatically did not resign, and then went on to win two more terms.

Leave it to the voters to cast judgment on Councillor Bilao.

Everybody drives at over 80 mg/L? Absolutely untrue. I documented in another thread what driving at about 40 mg/L (which is perfectly legal) felt like - and it made me uncomfortable, and I've made sure never to repeat it. I can't imagine any rational human being ever getting in a car at over 80 mg/L. It's not something you do by accident.

Over 80 mg/L is a very serious criminal offence, this is not just a traffic violation. It also demonstrate a complete and total lack of judgement.

Now if she blew 51 mg/L, it might be a different discussion. Or if she was 18 and had never drunk alcohol before perhaps. What did she blow? All I know is that it was over 80 mg/L.

Well said!

As someone who very purposefully avoids the mixing of alcohol and driving I take great offense to the "everyone does it" mentality.

This case is very interesting in that she was coming from an event that was planned well in advance. I (and many others) are often in situations like that.....work related social event where it is known that drinks are going to be available. I am far from a "non-drinker" but the key to avoidance of a DUI situation is to know that in advance there needs to be post-event planning.....a hotel room booked, a cab arranged, a DD sorted out, checking on public transit options...etc etc.

Drinking and driving is very much a "fail to plan, plan to fail" situation.

Very bizarre. She's telling people she had a bad night, she apologizes, and she regrets it.

But shes's going to plead not guilty? Then why is she apologizing? And she's refusing to answer questions about how many drinks she had?

The failure to take personal responsibility here is shocking. If she simply owned up, said she'd made a huge mistake, would never do it again, apologize, and take what's coming to her, then that's one thing.

But this display of apology and then pleading not guilty is absolutely dreadful. It's for this complete lack of judgement that she should resign - much more so than the criminal act she is apologizing for.

Further to that, B.C. premier Gordon Campbell pleaded guilty to drunk driving in Hawaii, most emphatically did not resign, and then went on to win two more terms.

Leave it to the voters to cast judgment on Councillor Bilao.

Campbell wasn't just drunk he was hammered. He was recently made ambassador to Canada or some damn thing.

I've tried a few different calculators like this over the years, and I'm always somewhat shocked to know how much I'd have to drink before I would be likely to blow over 0.08.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm completely blown away by how much I would have to drink to exceed 0.08. That could never happen by accident.

Very bizarre. She's telling people she had a bad night, she apologizes, and she regrets it.

But shes's going to plead not guilty? Then why is she apologizing? And she's refusing to answer questions about how many drinks she had?

The failure to take personal responsibility here is shocking. If she simply owned up, said she'd made a huge mistake, would never do it again, apologize, and take what's coming to her, then that's one thing.

But this display of apology and then pleading not guilty is absolutely dreadful. It's for this complete lack of judgement that she should resign - much more so than the criminal act she is apologizing for.

What I read was she was flagged and pulled over because she was too bombed to know that she needed to turn on her headlights in the middle of the night. How ironic would it have been if an allegedly drunk City Councillor hit and hurt or killed a cyclist along a heavily used bicycle route who just two weeks ago voted to remove a bike lane (Jarvis Street). I know, it's reaching, but I can't help but think of the possibility, thankfully there was no accident of any kind.

Something worth trying. Plug some numbers in here and see what you get....

I've tried a few different calculators like this over the years, and I'm always somewhat shocked to know how much I'd have to drink before I would be likely to blow over 0.08.

Seems I'm often over 0.25. That said, I don't own a license (expired in 1999).

Certainly it was a lapse in her judgement to hop behind the wheel, but to ask her to resign is, in my opinion, excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back