38     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 498     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 601     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fords seem to have a pretty narrow vision of what a "taxpayer" is -- who isn't a taxpayer in one form or another? (besides infants and children who receive no allowance)

The Fords seem to have a pretty narrow vision of what a "taxpayer" is -- who isn't a taxpayer in one form or another? (besides infants and children who receive no allowance)

everyone knows that but for RF et al ... a 'taxpayer' in their eyes is only someone who has voted for the Frauds and shares their views.

anyone outside of those parameters is a 'special interest group'.

don't use libraries - 'special interest group'
don't use bike lane - 'special interest group'
don't like gays - 'special interest group'
don't like unions - 'special interest group'
don't like arts - 'special interest group'

Last edited:
If this is the case will the seats vacated by Council members who run for Mayor and lose be subject to the same rule creating a never-ending election?

I would imagine that any councilor who wants to run for mayor would have to vacate their position before the campaign so that a bi-election could be held for their ward at the same time as the bi-election for mayor. That seems like the most logical way to do it anyway.

I am curious as to why no opinions, pro or con, have been offered with regard to this possibility. If true, it could be a huge, if inconvenient, game changer to the "let's get rid of Ford" movement.

I am curious as to why no opinions, pro or con, have been offered with regard to this possibility. If true, it could be a huge, if inconvenient, game changer to the "let's get rid of Ford" movement.

In the US, politicians keep their former positions until after they are elected to the new posts. In Canada, politicians have to vacate their former positions when running for a new post.

In the US, politicians keep their former positions until after they are elected to the new posts. In Canada, politicians have to vacate their former positions when running for a new post.

Is this really a requirement? I thought I recall quite recently politicians taking a "leave of absence" to run for another office. Not sure if is was a trustee, councillor, MPP or MP. Does the rule apply to all?

I believe it depends on which way one is going--for instance, I believe federal and provincial politicians must vacate upon making such a decision; however, it isn't mandatory for municipal politicians (which is why many a councillor or trustee may seek provincial or federal office, then efficiently return upon losing)

That, supposedly, was one of the optical glitches that prevented Olivia Chow from being elected to Ottawa in '04 (i.e. she didn't resign as councillor); for her successful '06 run, she *did* resign from Council...

I believe it depends on which way one is going--for instance, I believe federal and provincial politicians must vacate upon making such a decision; however, it isn't mandatory for municipal politicians (which is why many a councillor or trustee may seek provincial or federal office, then efficiently return upon losing)

A move from councillor to Mayor within the same municipality would probably be considered lateral rather than up or down.

If an incumbent councillor must vacate their position in order to contest the position of Mayor because it is vacated for whatever reason then I will be very surprised if any of them would take the chance of becoming unemployed by losing.

If an incumbent councillor does not have to vacate their position in such a circumstance we may be treated to 5 or 10 or more candidates. Why not, more face time and no penalty on payday.

The question seems to be which scenario will we see?

If you'd like to watch Rob Ford say "I don't remember" another 50 times in person, the court case is being held at 361 University Av. just a short walk from Nathan Phillips Square or a 1 minute drive in an Escalade.

Over at Spacing today, John Lorinc gets to the heart of the matter: what is an "error in judgment"? From a 2009 decision:

“In order to establish an error in judgment… it is necessary for the elected municipal official to have proceeded with `good faith’ as to that error of judgment. He or she must be honest, forthright and open, acting in complete good faith. The courts do not require perfection of conduct. However, good intentions and a complete lack of deceit and collusion are required.”

Rob argued he should not be required to repay the money. in doing so he was honest and open, there was no deceit and no evidence of collusion. So it seems inevitable that Rob will be found in violation of the Act, but he will not be removed from office because it was an "error in judgment".

Hopefully this shameless attempt to subvert democracy will end with the trial court's decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back