345     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 509     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fully confident he will continue to step into messes of his own making. The longer he's in office, the more chances Torontonians will get to see just what kind of man he is.

If I were planning to run for the position......this is what I would be hoping for right now.

Do you really think "they overruled YOUR vote over a $3k football donation that other people made" is substantially easier to counter than, say, "Vote for me and I will stop the Gravy"? Honestly, I don't.

The fact that one of the donations came from a firm that later landed a city contract needs to be exploited to hell and back.

How is it that there are so many really dumb small-minded rednecks in the GTA?

We're a city (with a mayor) who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Another point for Doug Holyday is that he is deputy mayor. It makes the messaging extremely easy.

Thumbs up to that. It's the easiest and most obvious route: Council tells the public that because the Mayor lost his job, the Deputy Mayor will take his place until the next election. Most people will just believe that that's how things are supposed to happen and even soft Ford supporters will accept it because Holyday was appointed by Ford himself and is a Conservative. Everybody save for the hardcore Ford Nationalists and the far lefties who'll see it as a missed opportunity for a coup will be happy.

I detest Ford so much that I will seriously consider leaving Toronto he gets re-elected. I can't rationalize living in the midst of a rednecked small-minded majority even if it is mostly the suburbs. I'm very worried about this situation and I hope they have a very thorough plan to deal with the repercussions of this case.

This. I've been considering living elsewhere after my fellow Torontonians turned out to be unlike anything I'd expected. I love Toronto but a segment of its people are beginning to bother me. I've already lived in other cities and I miss being a citizen of the world. When Ford got elected, I was caught by surprise and it was a bad time to move and now that I'm ready to move, there's a possibility of Ford being kicked out so I'm putting my luggage away for a bit. If he stays in office and it looks like he's going to get re-elected, off to Barcelona or Paris (or both) I go for 2 to 5 years.

Last edited:
Thumbs up to that. It's the easiest and most obvious route: Council tells the public that because the Mayor lost his job, the Deputy Mayor will take his place until the next election. Most people will just believe that that's how things are supposed to happen and even soft Ford supporters will accept it because Holyday was appointed by Ford himself and is a Conservative. Everybody save for the hardcore Ford Nationalists and the far lefties who'll see it as a missed opportunity for a coup will be happy.

Totally agree.

How is it that there are so many really dumb small-minded rednecks in the GTA?

There you go.....see, people only voted for him because he was gonna stop wasting their money (that is all he told them....that is all they voted for...he did not say "and no more of this Mayor of Toronto showing support for human rights by going to the Pride Parade....he never told them that and his opponents never mentioned it....they just said you would have to be dumb to vote for a a guy this dumb {paraphrase but that is what people heard})......

.....so, your post continues the theme...."if you voted for Ford, your dumb". Not sure if you have ever run for office...but telling the electorate they are dumb (even if they are) is not a path to office....the sooner Ford's opponents realize that, the sooner they will be able to draw him out to have real discussions on real issues (I think most people here know how that will end up).

There you go.....see, people only voted for him because he was gonna stop wasting their money (that is all he told them....that is all they voted for...he did not say "and no more of this Mayor of Toronto showing support for human rights by going to the Pride Parade....he never told them that and his opponents never mentioned it....they just said you would have to be dumb to vote for a a guy this dumb {paraphrase but that is what people heard})......

.....so, your post continues the theme...."if you voted for Ford, your dumb". Not sure if you have ever run for office...but telling the electorate they are dumb (even if they are) is not a path to office....the sooner Ford's opponents realize that, the sooner they will be able to draw him out to have real discussions on real issues (I think most people here know how that will end up).

Your absolutely right, one must never underestimate really dumb people.

Well said there TOaFan, but unfortunately on this thread this goes straight over 95% of the posters heads ...But then again who cares, they're a small percentage of the big picture.

Case in point.

Your absolutely right, one must never underestimate really dumb people.

Case in point.

I am too dumb to know if you just took a shot at me....but I will say that there is no IQ test to vote....and there are no increases/decreases in the value of any single vote relative to intelligence. So it might serve some purpose for opponents of Ford to suggest that he and his support are "really dumb people"....but the purpose served is not that of winning an election.

Look at it another way.......anyone with an ounce of economic intelligence knew that it would be absolutely (100%) impossible for Jean Chretien to fulfill his promise to get rid of the GST.....yet enough Canadians bought that line, without question, to elect him.

Last edited:
Some clarification on the location of Rob Ford' BBQ is needed.

It is NOT in Rob's backyard, but in Rob's MOTHER's backyard.

I have heard of party notices appearing on Facebook and getting out-of-hand. Damage to property, theft, noise, drunkenness, neighbour complaints, police being called, etc.. In Rob's case, he doesn't need Facebook, but NEWS1010 to broadcast it.

Rob's mother must be so proud... not.

This. I've been considering living elsewhere after my fellow Torontonians turned out to be unlike anything I'd expected. I love Toronto but a segment of its people are beginning to bother me. I've already lived in other cities and I miss being a citizen of the world. When Ford got elected, I was caught by surprise and it was a bad time to move and now that I'm ready to move, there's a possibility of Ford being kicked out so I'm putting my luggage away for a bit. If he stays in office and it looks like he's going to get re-elected, off to Barcelona or Paris (or both) I go for 2 to 5 years.

Contrary to your experiences, I've been pleasantly surprised at how moderates on council have fought back against Ford's misguided agenda, instead of falling back and allowing him to reign undisputed. I'll only lose hope if he gets elected and is able to replace council with cronies that'll support his every move.

As for moving to other more 'progressive' cities, remember that narrowminded, greedy, bigoted and ignorant people exist everywhere and you'll never be able to truely escape them. The best option to expose the lies that some espouse and educate those who don't know better.

Yes, it's in his Mom's backyard, and he's invited all of Toronto. Lucky Mom.

I liked the way the earlier notice was phrased -- no intent for damage, noise, etc, simply visiting and going to see the Mayor at his event since the Mayor wouldn't go to their event. Seems reasonable to me :)

Contrary to your experiences, I've been pleasantly surprised at how moderates on council have fought back against Ford's misguided agenda, instead of falling back and allowing him to reign undisputed. I'll only lose hope if he gets elected and is able to replace council with cronies that'll support his every move.

As for moving to other more 'progressive' cities, remember that narrowminded, greedy, bigoted and ignorant people exist everywhere and you'll never be able to truely escape them. The best option to expose the lies that some espouse and educate those who don't know better.

Well put. I am certainly proud of the Torontonians and City Council who saved our city from Ford's small minded vision. A lot of people have stepped up to the plate.
On the other hand, I'm disappointed in several of my friends who fell for Ford's message and a few who continue to believe his lies despite not liking Ford.

Nonetheless, I have faith that Toronto will overcome this and a unifying Mayor will come along. Just as Ford was the product of Miller, another progressive and intelligent Mayor will be the product of Ford and the lesson will have been learned for a generation.

Ironically, the comments on the Sun and National Post have moved to a generally "off with his head" stance with even a few "Miller was bad but at least he knew what he was doing" comments popping up. I don't think Ford could win again, his brand is damaged and that's all he had going for him.

Last edited:
It's easy. Deamalgamate and everyone will be happy.

The Old City is guaranteed a progressive mayor and the suburbs can do whatever the hell they want. Torontonians never approved of amalgamation in the first place.

People who voted for Ford are not necessarily bigoted small-minded morons, they are just uneducated reactionary people who are easily scared into self-destructive acts.

The way council stood up to Ford has allowed me to continue feeling this as a progressive city, all in all.

RC8:

Can't unscramble the omlette - besides, even in the unlikely even that the city is deamalgamated, you still have to deal with the other half of the governance issue - i.e. Metro.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back