476     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 613     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true that the motion was to "request" -- that distinction was the reason the city solicitor advised the speaker that the motion was in order. But Perks was right to expose that RoFo was hypocritically attempting to punish Augimeri. The intention is the same, whether the means is an unenforceable order or merely a request that could be ignored. It's the same degree of technical nicety that got RoFo off the hook in his appeal. Perks's point was that if RoFo felt a monetary punishment was good for Augimeri, it should have been good for the MINO.

Dense-head Mindless Wrong was even more obvious in speaking to his own amendment -- at least twice, he used the words "punish" or "punishment," and so did at least one other councillor during the debate.

A couple of councillors made the point that filing an integrity complaint is dead simple and does not require a lawyer's advice. Cusimano probably ran straight to a lawyer to talk about defamation suits and got advised to try the IC route first. If someone can't manage to shepherd an IC complaint through the process of getting an apology without needing a lawyer, you gotta wonder if they should be making decisions on $9B budgets. The thing is, Cusimano did break the election laws, in a big way; Augimeri overstepped in calling him a "criminal" in the strict legal sense that those laws are not part of the criminal code. If she had simply called him a law-breaker, I don't think he'd have had a leg to stand on. And for him now to be asking taxpayers to pay his (probably unnecessary) legal bills? Unsavoury gravy!

1. In my experience, a "technicality" often is just a legal rule disliked by the person who brands it as such. Council was free to make the request but not to make an order. That is a very substantive difference. I certainly would not regard it as a technicality if I was on the receiving end. (That they rejected Ford's motion speaks well of their judgment; clearly the "Mayor" was playing for attention, not caring a wit about any principle, much less the paltry sum.)

2. Actually, as much as I dislike DMW, punishment is the correct term. Any order imposed by Council on one of its members in consequence of a breach of the Code is a "penalty". (What kinds of orders can be imposed as a penalty is a different question, dealt with in the COI case.)

3. Whether the City's policy should include compensating complainants whose complaints are upheld is a very valid question. As you know, Matlow was ruled out of order when he tried to move to delete that from the policy. But, as of today that is the policy, and it is not conditional (there is no 'unless Council thinks you did not need a lawyer's help'). It would have been unprincipled - one could say, Ford-like - for Council to have changed the policy today in order to refuse to compensate Cusimano (or anyone else in his position). I would prefer that Cusimano be a sleaze for not foregoing the compensation that he is entitled to claim under the existing rules than that Council be thought to be so sleazy as to try to change the rules after the fact. (One hopes that Matlow, or if not him someone else, will reintroduce his motion in the next term.)

Last edited:
That is under the assumption that Rob doesn't completely screw up before October 27. However, Tory could have another "faith based schools" moment as well.

That's the thing though, with Tory and Chow as front runners, one of them can make a tremendous fuck-up and the other one is likely to pick up the support that falls to the wayside. It would take Tory and Chow both fucking up and Ford NOT fucking up AND somehow persuading all those who he's pissed off that they should back him after all in order for him to sail through, and that's very unlikely to happen.

You have to be careful interpreting red eyes. If they are white some days but not others then the speculation is merited, but mine look like that all the time despite 32 years clean and sober - too much use and abuse did permanent damage
Could be some sort of chemical refreshment or crying because of all the victimization of the Ford family values.

That's the thing though, with Tory and Chow as front runners, one of them can make a tremendous fuck-up and the other one is likely to pick up the support that falls to the wayside. It would take Tory and Chow both fucking up and Ford NOT fucking up AND somehow persuading all those who he's pissed off that they should back him after all in order for him to sail through, and that's very unlikely to happen.

My nightmare scenario is that no-one has a catastrophic fuck-up between now and the election (a big assumption, I know, especially in Ford's case), all three cruise along more or less maintaining their current levels of support, and the Fords rile up their base (which they're great at) more than the anybody-but-Ford crowd does. Unlikely, yes, but how much more unlikely than the fact that he's still mayor, or got elected mayor in the first place? The normal rules just do not apply to this guy.

My nightmare scenario is that no-one has a catastrophic fuck-up between now and the election (a big assumption, I know, especially in Ford's case), all three cruise along more or less maintaining their current levels of support, and the Fords rile up their base (which they're great at) more than the anybody-but-Ford crowd does. Unlikely, yes, but how much more unlikely than the fact that he's still mayor, or got elected mayor in the first place? The normal rules just do not apply to this guy.

You have to remember that when Ford riles up his base -- the only thing he knows how to do -- he is in turn pissing off everyone else, thereby motivating them to vote. That's the problem with being divisive. The very nature of your politics necessarily engages both sides.

That is under the assumption that Rob doesn't completely screw up before October 27. However, Tory could have another "faith based schools" moment as well.
We've been thinking for four years now that Rob completely screwing up was inevitable, right around the corner. He does screw up continually, but has shown a supernatural ability to skate right past it. Mortal politicians are taken down for one personal moment of weakness or a slip of the tongue, Rob continues on while seemingly just barely keeping himself out of jail. This is what worries me. Tory, on the other hand, is quite capable of fatally ruining his own prospects, it's almost his trademark.

Ford has completely screwed up since the day he was elected. I can't imagine what else would need to happen for him to finally be politically dead.

Significant Chow and Tory fuck ups + RoFo saving a school bus of children from drowning (singlehandedly on tape, of course) = Hounourable Mayor Robert Bruce Ford part II. With added bonus of Councillor Mikey Ray Stir, er, Ford.

I know the pool is closed or whatever, but I'm going to guess that Ford gets 34.1% and barely squeaks out the win in a three-way split with Tory and Chow. My reasoning? People are stupid, greedy and have short memories (also, Tory sucks and Chow is running a terrible campaign). I also think a lot of people here are really suffering from wishful thinking about Ford's popularity.

Yes, this is an attempt at a jinx, but I am worried.

I doubt Rob's numbers will rise. I'm more concerned about Socknaki. As much as I like the guy, if he gains momentum off of Stintz's exit and a bleed-off from Chow, we could be in for a dangerous vote split. I like Socknaki best out of this field of candidates, but not so much that I want to risk another Ford term.

I hope so.

We've been thinking for four years now that Rob completely screwing up was inevitable, right around the corner. He does screw up continually, but has shown a supernatural ability to skate right past it. Mortal politicians are taken down for one personal moment of weakness or a slip of the tongue, Rob continues on while seemingly just barely keeping himself out of jail. This is what worries me. Tory, on the other hand, is quite capable of fatally ruining his own prospects, it's almost his trademark.

Tory often does this late in the campaign too.

Ford has completely screwed up since the day he was elected. I can't imagine what else would need to happen for him to finally be politically dead.

To be honest, I have my doubts that a third drunk/crack video would have any impact. His followers would just call it "a bump in the road."

All very true. I've heard other people say that Ford has the (admittedly unlikely) ability to clamp down on his more self-destructive instincts (if only just barely) whenever a major goal is within sight. Like, you know, the upcoming election. It was only after he slimed his way into the Mayor's office last time that he began to misbehave...and even when that came to light, and to a degree that couldn't be ignored, he simply plowed onwards like the Energizer Bunny. To the resentful and spiteful joy of his neandrathal fanbase and the horror of everyone else.

The thing is, that sort of momentum begins to take on a freakish power of its own after enough time passes. The Fords' stubborn obstinancy, combined with the weakness, cowardice, complicity and incompetence of the media, the police, every other elected official in every level of government, and the entire City Hall apparatus, has empowered Ford and the Tea Party-esque rabble that support him. As hateful as it is, we can't count him out, not least of all becuase of the possibility of vote splitting. I would love to be proved wrong here, and I hope I am, but I dunno...

Folks, what do you want from this election?​ You can want your candidate of choice as Mayor or do you want Rob Ford out? You have those choices but you have to pick the one you can live with for the next 4 years. This is extremely clear.

If you love Soknacki so much that you think he will win and you vote for him, or you vote on principle knowing he will lose, Soks may very well Nader in Ford. Is this more important than Ford more years, more years of daily bullshit? Ask yourself seriously.

The City of Toronto is constipated, we need the most effective medicine to drive the crap out. The medicine is terrible tasting, we have to hold our noses and we don't like taking it but it is for a relative short term and it needs to be done.

I will be voting for whomever has the best chance of beating Ford (as it stands right now Tory is the person) and you should too. Chow is running a terrible campaign, she has nor persuaded me in the least and this is reflective the polls. I like Soks the best but the average person is too stupid to understand where he is coming from and as of now he will not win by any margin.. While we fiddle about Transit Tory vs. Transit Chow vs. Transit Soks, Ford supporters are ready to burn Toronto.

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.46.00 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.44.32 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.38.51 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.47.19 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.38.31 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.52.54 PM.jpg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_McVety

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.46.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.46.00 PM.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 632
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.44.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.44.32 PM.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 742
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.38.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.38.51 PM.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 634
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.47.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.47.19 PM.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 631
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.38.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.38.31 PM.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 632
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.52.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.52.54 PM.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
Folks, what do you want from this election?​ You can want your candidate of choice as Mayor or do you want Rob Ford out? You have those choices but you have to pick the one you can live with for the next 4 years. This is extremely clear.

If you love Soknacki so much that you think he will win and you vote for him, or you vote on principle knowing he will lose, Soks may very well Nader in Ford. Is this more important than Ford more years, more years of daily bullshit? Ask yourself seriously.

The City of Toronto is constipated, we need the most effective medicine to drive the crap out. The medicine is terrible tasting, we have to hold our noses and we don't like taking it but it is for a relative short term and it needs to be done.

I will be voting for whomever has the best chance of beating Ford (as it stands right now Tory is the person) and you should too. Chow is running a terrible campaign, she has nor persuaded me in the least and this is reflective the polls. I like Soks the best but the average person is too stupid to understand where he is coming from and as of now he will not win by any margin.. While we fiddle about Transit Tory vs. Transit Chow vs. Transit Soks, Ford supporters are ready to burn Toronto.

I couldn't agree more. Your comment is as perceptive as it is truth telling. I too will vote specifically to oust Ford....all of them. We cannot go through another 4 years of assholery....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back