1     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 919     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 410     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If so, then Lisi is a master of human observation. The tone and syntax haven't changed.

While she said herself someone else tweeted that stuff about me and my bro. And only Sandro would know about that info. The stuff her account was private messaging me is totally different that what the account is tweeting publicly now.

While she said herself someone else tweeted that stuff about me and my bro. And only Sandro would know about that info. The stuff her account was private messaging me is totally different that what the account is tweeting publicly now.

She messaged me that she was desperate for help and that she couldn't afford a private facility (how did she ever afford GreenStone then?) so she was on a months long waiting list to get into a place. She claimed to be disappointed that Ford didn't help her get into some place else. Then an hour or so later she deletes her tweet about me and says publicly that she's been in a treatment facility for a while now.

The irony of someone who has been a major FUBAR at his job (a taxpayer funded one at that) to talk about jobs didn't quite escaped me. If only everyone can be an artist like him - standup comedian/scam artist, that is. I think paying 70K for someone to water the plants is a relative bargain.

AoD

Last edited:
Ann Hui ‏@annhui 1m
Mayor Ford's spox says he's in "offsite meetings" today. He's released a statement saying he's taken TO back from "edge of a fiscal cliff"

Let's see how this plays out...

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 1m
Mayor Ford's spox says he's in "offsite meetings" today. He's released a statement saying he's taken TO back from "edge of a fiscal cliff"

Let's see how this plays out...

Is this tweet from 2012? 2013? Hilarious. Vote Ford! The ONLY candidate who can GUARANTEE life in Toronto will remain an maddening, meaningless Groundhog Day!

A court decides two things in a defamation case. First, whether a statement (written or spoken) was defamatory and, second, what damage was caused by the statement. So, it's possible to win a defamation suit but not get any damages because the defamation did not cause financial harm, (roughly speaking). Back when I was school studying the basics of this stuff, we were told stories gangsters who won defamation suits but received no damages because their reputations were already so low, they couldn't really be harmed by comments that lowered their reputation in the community. Not sure if those were true or not.)

In Blair's case, he'll probably argue DoFo's statements were designed to damage his professional reputation, which impacts his ability to find other work etc. These would be specific and general damages. I think a judge can also award punitive damages in Ontario, but I'm not 100% sure.

Apologies themselves are not antidotes in defamation case. If they are prompt and sincere, a court will consider them as mitigating factors, but they won't get you off the hook. So, even if Doug apologizes, Blair can still proceed with the suit. As to whether Doug gets his ass handed to him, well, that's a matter for the courts to decide.

For example, Sir Arthur Currie was awarded damages of $1 (this is often called "contemptuous damages"*) when he sued for defamation over a newspaper editorial that suggested he had exposed his troops to injury and death in order to retake the town of Mons in northern France even though he know that the armistice was to come into effect within hours merely because of personal spite at the fact that he and his troops had been pushed out of Mons by the Germans early in WWI. There is an excellent book about the Currie libel trial: The Last Day, the Last Hour: The Currie Libel Trial, by Justice Robert Sharpe (written when he was a faculty member at UofT Law School).

(*because they express the jury's, or judge's, contempt for the plaintiff having pressed the suit over a matter of trivial harm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back