331     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 484     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
he pulled directly into a parking spot in front of the little store first, not the gas bays. I drove on so I don't know if he got gas afterwards, but that would be odd to do it in that order. I figured he was getting snacks or whatever.

Gatorade. Please be gatorade.

A court decides two things in a defamation case. First, whether a statement (written or spoken) was defamatory and, second, what damage was caused by the statement. So, it's possible to win a defamation suit but not get any damages because the defamation did not cause financial harm, (roughly speaking). Back when I was school studying the basics of this stuff, we were told stories gangsters who won defamation suits but received no damages because their reputations were already so low, they couldn't really be harmed by comments that lowered their reputation in the community. Not sure if those were true or not.)

In Blair's case, he'll probably argue DoFo's statements were designed to damage his professional reputation, which impacts his ability to find other work etc. These would be specific and general damages. I think a judge can also award punitive damages in Ontario, but I'm not 100% sure.

Apologies themselves are not antidotes in defamation case. If they are prompt and sincere, a court will consider them as mitigating factors, but they won't get you off the hook. So, even if Doug apologizes, Blair can still proceed with the suit. As to whether Doug gets his ass handed to him, well, that's a matter for the courts to decide.

Having his ass handed to him will save him the embarrassment of not being able to find it with both hands, whilst the super moon shines brightly and Warmtongue is inconveniently lodged in a breech position.

he pulled directly into a parking spot in front of the little store first, not the gas bays. I drove on so I don't know if he got gas afterwards, but that would be odd to do it in that order. I figured he was getting snacks or whatever.

Maybe there was an envelope exchange.

While Robbie trolls King W for selfies, Andray Domise got the Argos to donate 150 tickets and Ascot Coop to donate three buses. Tonight, 150 neighbourhood kids went to an Argos game.

Amazing work. I wish the news would pick up on these moments. They're such a contrast to the do-nothing selfie circus surrounding Robbie.

Were there other cars parked there? Lisi's perhaps?
Real question: are there convenience stores in the area with better parking? I.E. Is there an easier or better place to buy beverages and snacks? Personally, I wouldn't choose a gas station as a random stop off unless I was getting gas or cigarettes, since he's not a smoker and wasn't getting any gas and was spotted numerous times picking up stuff from Lisi at gas stations, well, I don't think it's too far fetched to speculate.......

Were there other cars parked there? Lisi's perhaps?
Real question: are there convenience stores in the area with better parking? I.E. Is there an easier or better place to buy beverages and snacks? Personally, I wouldn't choose a gas station as a random stop off unless I was getting gas or cigarettes, since he's not a smoker and wasn't getting any gas and was spotted numerous times picking up stuff from Lisi at gas stations, well, I don't think it's too far fetched to speculate.......

The parking at the Esso is fine, there really aren't other convenience stores too close by, and he probably likes going where he's used to going.

there were other cars/people but I didn't get a detailed look. I can only see so much in a quick random encounter like that, it's not like I knew he was going to pull into the station just when I was passing by!

http://instagram.com/p/rnx-q4Ao0q/

ETA the two girls to his left:

Meet Jennifer Love and Alyssa Lioutas of Duet PR, a boutique public relations firm in Toronto that specializes in creating and improving brand awareness through strategic media outreach. Duet PR develops customized publicity plans to define your brand, position it in the media and ultimately boost your business.

ETAA: Looks like the pr ladies arranged a mayoral shout-out for Lou Dawgs back in April:

https://twitter.com/duetpr/status/456171437766623233

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2862231608.204824.400286236608&type=1&theater
Oh God. PubLIZity from Kroll Show come to life.

"Ummm Lawsuits and Slander and Evidence. If you sue you get cross EXAMed about ANYTHING. If I was Blair.."
https://twitter.com/DavidPylyp/status/499382444274233344

I guess he's trying to say that suing Doug might lead to Blair's personal life being brought to light, which is fair enough, but can I just say that David Pylyp is ... I'm trying to be careful here ... guy pops up on every comment board and social media outlet and proves time and again that he has no clue about anything.

There's also this from RoFo's twitter (which he doesn't use himself, as we know)
https://twitter.com/TOMayorFord/status/499348321228439552
Stopped at @Orestolounge tonight, great to see innovative, creative restaurants all over #toronto #topoli
8:14 PM - 12 Aug 2014
Bu4KpqmCMAArYbj.jpg

that place is on King as well. Same suit. Hmmm...

I think this might be a repost. It was up earlier and contained the misspelling 'restoraunt', for which Ford's social media team were mercilessly mocked on Twitter.

Same suit, yes, and tie is way too long as usual.

Despite the fact it was written about, Doug's comment was never written, posted or otherwise broadcasted by himself. It was spoken. Therefore, it does not meet the legal definition of libel (AFAIK) but could meet that of *slander*. Which is harder to civilly prosecute because real monetary damage must be shown to be done. And , further, could such be demonstrated by tying the 'payback' comment to the relief of duty?

As for Doug's response to such, it would appear limited to 1 of 5 possible defences, that of (4) 'Fair Comment'. Upon that narrowing, it would seem to be further limited to one of three pillars under that rubric, 'opinion'.

Yes, Blair's action is for defamation, but it is unlikely to succeed as libel.

Libel is the first subcategory, the second being slander, of the defamation law in Ontario.

"1. Libel

The first portion of the Act deals with libel. Section 2 of the Act states that "defamatory words in a newspaper or in a broadcast shall be deemed to be published and to constitute libel". Given the nature of editorial and opinion pieces, many defamation actions for libel are focused on newspaper articles which are alleged to have disparaged, directly or indirectly, the subject of the article. In short, libel refers to written defamatory statements."

http://www.carters.ca/pub/bulletin/charity/2007/chylb125.htm

I make the assumption that Dougie's speech was scripted and intended for transcription, either whole or in part in newspapers, shown on t.v., or audio played on radio stations.

That said, his scripted statements can be construed as an opinion piece of a city councillor, with the full weight that office carries. This can also be seen as a breach of trust or conflict of interest because of his job as Robbie's campaign manager.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by animatronic
http://instagram.com/p/rnx-q4Ao0q/

ETA the two girls to his left:

Meet Jennifer Love and Alyssa Lioutas of Duet PR,

Who is the woman on Ford's right, some random person\fan?

a boutique public relations firm in Toronto that specializes in creating and improving brand awareness through strategic media outreach. Duet PR develops customized publicity plans to define your brand, position it in the media and ultimately boost your business.

.....AHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahaha. Ah yeah.....good luck to Duet PR on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back