1.9K     4 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 857     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are starting to ask questions about the legitimacy of Jimmy's uniform, particularly the beret (military police, maybe?).

I have shorts like those and I'm pretty sure I could cobble together the rest from army surplus ...

I'm not sure we still have a GA chapter - I can't recall seeing them around and I'm not keen on them as a whole, since some of their other chapters seem to think it's their role to be jerks to anyone they consider suspicious, without real evidence.

I covered all of the various parts of his frankenstein uniform a few hundred pages back. TL/DR is that it's likely cobbled together from army surplus, and while it's too far from anything real to qualify as a criminal act, those of us with actual military service are probably a bit annoyed that people keep calling him a veteran when he is only playing dress up.

ETA - never met the guy, but I don't ever recall any quotes from him claiming to be a veteran. Casual observers just seem to infer it, unless anyone has a different experience?

Last edited:
"Give no slack and take no sh!t from anyone. Confront and command. Control the streets at all times. Always be aggressive. Stop crimes before they happen. Seek them out. Shake them down. Make that arrest. And never, never admit the department has done anything wrong."

To Protect and to Serve: The Lapd's Century of War in the City of Dreams

That's a pretty good quote about LAPD. Gotta look up that book. Great stuff about that particular 'outfit' and it's relationship with what L.A. was and has become is well found in Mike Smith's 'City of Quartz' or any of James Ellroy's novels chronicling an 'alternative history' of L.A. from the late twenties through the assassination of Bobby Kennedy and just beyond.

As far as Singin' Jimmy's attire, it's regulation Hercules (kinda miss that store), cobbled together nonsense. Just like The Rob Ford Rangers.

ETA: RE: JImmy's 'uniform'. Beat to the punch by animatronic by a mere minute!

Last edited:
here's a most interesting comment on tory vs chow, posted on reddit

i'm ~not~ going to copy the contents here, as that's what the link is for

(that's why the web was invented, to link from one place to another... all you folks copying tweets here, pls take note)

I appreciate it when people copy things here. When I'm on my phone, I don't have to go to another site to view.

I'm not sure we still have a GA chapter - I can't recall seeing them around and I'm not keen on them as a whole, since some of their other chapters seem to think it's their role to be jerks to anyone they consider suspicious, without real evidence.

I wonder where they got the idea that that was a viable way to promote public safety?

I knew who won and that he had issues, notably boycotting the Pride parade. This has also opened my eyes to the councillors.

I also wonder what his disgruntled supporters will do if/when he loses.
Lose interest in politics, probably. It's all about the cult of personality with them.

10598572_839069102794389_467029307_n.jpg

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/p/782824104002650103_19008134

Attachments

• 10598572_839069102794389_467029307_n.jpg
    10598572_839069102794389_467029307_n.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 796
Worst thing about Toronto is Rob Ford

what could possibly save Toronto and, indeed, the world from more of the stupidity, the grand-standing and the extreme poor behaviour of this asinine buffoon.

We decided after much heated discussion that the worst thing about Toronto is the relentless assault on its good name and its well-deserved reputation as a fine city by the unending childish and degrading behaviour of its chief political official.

Rob Ford is only popular with a certain segment of the electorate and population at large because so many have lost hope of ever being reflected in the style, shenanigans and tone of their leaders.

In Rob Ford these desperate losers have found a champion.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/open-newsroom/letters/worst-thing-about-toronto-is-rob-ford

if tim hortons gets the city hall contract, i will always wonder how much it has to due with covering up the fact that robbie was seen that day in may...

Councillor Doug Ford’s idea of putting Tim Hortons inside Toronto City Hall is a good move

This brings us to Councillor Doug Ford, brother to the crack-smoking Mayor Rob Ford. Doug says that “Maybe staying open at nighttime when we have the festivals? I’m just throwing out ideas… Maybe throw (in) a Tim Hortons. Who knows, I don’t know. Everyone loves Tims.â€

http://insidetimmies.com/2014/08/08...tons-inside-toronto-city-hall-is-a-good-move/

The Forum Poll suggests 2 trends:
1. Ford's support appears to stagnant in the low-to-mid-20's. All his secondary numbers are still decisively negative.

2. Chow's support appears to be falling and Tory is the beneficiary. Not sure how far apart they really are b/c Forum polls landlines exclusively. However, all the campaign teams knew about this trend weeks ago, which is why all the candidates hammered away at Tory's policy positions at the East York debate.

Problem is we're really suffering from a lack of data. So far, we've had all the Forum surveys, plus one-offs from Nanos and Dimitri Pantazopoulos. That's not enough. I suspect we'll get a clearer picture after Labour Day when everyone's back from vacation and more voters start to engage in the race, plus some polling heavyweights like Ekos, Ipsos, Abacus etc. get into the field regularly. But I imagine privately both the Ford and Chow camps are somewhat worried about what they're seeing.

Ford's numbers - for a highly-visible, well-known incumbent running for re-election - are seriously bad. Factor in the highly-publicized return from rehab and they look even worse. Silverstein was hoping it would provide a bounce in the polls by getting some of Ford's moderate supporters back from Tory. However, all the rehab stint seemed to do is stop his base from shrinking, not grow it. Will it provide a boost in the coming weeks? Maybe, if Ford can convince these softer conservatives his recovery is real and there's no relapse. But right now, at least, that doesn't appear to be happening.

Chow's challenge is altogether different. It's not clear what has hurt her, but the Forum Poll suggests she's losing the support of women voters, some of whom are now backing Tory. Why is this? Forum provides no further data to answer that question. But the downward trend is also reflected in the Nanos and Pantazopoulos polls earlier, so it appears to be a real issue for her. Losing the mantle of front-runner in the race and thus the oft-repeated line that she's the "only candidate who can beat Ford" is also potentially damaging, because it appears she's no longer the first choice of so-called "strategic voters" whose main motivation in getting out to vote is to defeat the Fords.

Again, we have to mention all the caveats. Not a lot of polling data. It's the height of summer. Forum polls only landlines. The Toronto electorate is notoriously volatile. But even with all that caution we can PROBABLY say: 1. Chow's support is falling. 2. Most voters have made their minds up already about the mayor, and what they've decided about him doesn't bode well for him on October 27th.

W: These are points that is making this year's Toronto Mayor election very interesting...

What gets me is how RF is still polling...but John Tory looks to have a inside track to be one of the top candidates...

I still think that Toronto needs a strong Mayoral candidate that will not allow RF to be re-elected...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back