1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 917     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fords on CP24... we cancelled a Queen and King subway in the 1960's. Funny, I don't ever remember reading about either of these, especially in his time frame.

A question I do have, why does Robbie think he has the power to rip up voted on, and signed agreements, or that cancelling projects will cost taxpayers no money. Where does the money for administration costs come from? I guess it's like the money spent on the RT replacement, if there is no shovel in the ground, then there are no costs to worry our pretty heads about.

One more thing, why does Robbie confuse Connects with the Crosstown construction, especially since one is a city project, and the other provincial, respectively.

To answer your questions with a question ... why does Rob do anything?

As to why Rob confuses things, well, you see, he just isn't very bright.

I thing it past the point of Robbie embarrassing himself, I think Morris means he will implicate himself in criminal activities, not unlike the confession in yesterday's presser.

Help me out here please as I'm out of country: what confession? Did I miss something good?

Some of the numbers are interesting though I remain very skeptical of Forum. In a three way race this election is taking on the appearance of 2010, with Tory and Chow in the Smitherman and Pantalone roles. If the race remains this close, but Tory retains his significant lead over Chow, will Chow do the honourable thing and bow out? (Something that Pantalone should have done)

The Forum Poll suggests 2 trends:
1. Ford's support appears to stagnant in the low-to-mid-20's. All his secondary numbers are still decisively negative.

2. Chow's support appears to be falling and Tory is the beneficiary. Not sure how far apart they really are b/c Forum polls landlines exclusively. However, all the campaign teams knew about this trend weeks ago, which is why all the candidates hammered away at Tory's policy positions at the East York debate.

Problem is we're really suffering from a lack of data. So far, we've had all the Forum surveys, plus one-offs from Nanos and Dimitri Pantazopoulos. That's not enough. I suspect we'll get a clearer picture after Labour Day when everyone's back from vacation and more voters start to engage in the race, plus some polling heavyweights like Ekos, Ipsos, Abacus etc. get into the field regularly. But I imagine privately both the Ford and Chow camps are somewhat worried about what they're seeing.

Ford's numbers - for a highly-visible, well-known incumbent running for re-election - are seriously bad. Factor in the highly-publicized return from rehab and they look even worse. Silverstein was hoping it would provide a bounce in the polls by getting some of Ford's moderate supporters back from Tory. However, all the rehab stint seemed to do is stop his base from shrinking, not grow it. Will it provide a boost in the coming weeks? Maybe, if Ford can convince these softer conservatives his recovery is real and there's no relapse. But right now, at least, that doesn't appear to be happening.

Chow's challenge is altogether different. It's not clear what has hurt her, but the Forum Poll suggests she's losing the support of women voters, some of whom are now backing Tory. Why is this? Forum provides no further data to answer that question. But the downward trend is also reflected in the Nanos and Pantazopoulos polls earlier, so it appears to be a real issue for her. Losing the mantle of front-runner in the race and thus the oft-repeated line that she's the "only candidate who can beat Ford" is also potentially damaging, because it appears she's no longer the first choice of so-called "strategic voters" whose main motivation in getting out to vote is to defeat the Fords.

Again, we have to mention all the caveats. Not a lot of polling data. It's the height of summer. Forum polls only landlines. The Toronto electorate is notoriously volatile. But even with all that caution we can PROBABLY say: 1. Chow's support is falling. 2. Most voters have made their minds up already about the mayor, and what they've decided about him doesn't bode well for him on October 27th.

Fords on CP24... we cancelled a Queen and King subway in the 1960's. Funny, I don't ever remember reading about either of these, especially in his time frame.

A question I do have, why does Robbie think he has the power to rip up voted on, and signed agreements, or that cancelling projects will cost taxpayers no money. Where does the money for administration costs come from? I guess it's like the money spent on the RT replacement, if there is no shovel in the ground, then there are no costs to worry our pretty heads about.

One more thing, why does Robbie confuse Connects with the Crosstown construction, especially since one is a city project, and the other provincial, respectively.

Because he's all about undoing stuff that the previous guy(s) did, no matter how unrealistic and impractical that actually is. It's all part of his no-vision vision. If stuff gets built, great - he can take credit for it no matter what. If nothing gets built - hey, it's no skin off his sweaty pink nose. He can always blame others for standing in his way and beyond that he doesn't actually care.

He'll never understand it, but it's ironic and sad that he insisted on putting the Eglinton LRT at least partly underground, at great expense, and then threw a fit at the cost of developing the resulting LRT-free surface to accommodate the rest of the traffic.

It's a completely ridiculous and irresponsible statement. His lawyer, of all people, knows full well that it's the Crown who decides who to subpoena to prove their case in court, not the police.

And Morris, by Fords' account the best criminal lawyer in Canada says:

"Mr. Morris also questioned whether a subpoena is simply investigators’ way of meeting one-on-one with Mr. Ford – a meeting the mayor has so far resisted. Toronto Police Detective Sergeant Gary Giroux, who is leading Project Brazen 2 – the investigation that resulted in Mr. Lisi’s charges and also targets Mayor Ford – has repeatedly stated that he still wants to speak with the mayor.
“Let’s put it this way: Often times in a given case, a crown attorney or police officer would say the crown attorney wants to interview you and get your statement down. Basically it’s a back-door way of getting to what we’ve resisted in keeping with our right to remain silent,†Mr. Morris said. “And obviously I’m going to recommend the mayor resist that.â€

Isn't the best criminal lawyer basically admitting his client has something to hide? Not sure I'd want him representing me.

Not forgetting gay-hating people of colour, union-hating well-off gay whites and people who are just really angry about a single issue and think Ford will deign to pay attention to them (Iola Fortino, come on down!). A real mixed bag.

Yes, over the years I've talked to a number of right-wing, mostly closeted, gay men who's only concern, is money and how much Ford will save them. These people care nothing about gay rights or the gay community as a whole, because they don't consider themselves part of it. (online chat sites don't count as a community, in their minds) A number of them have proudly told me they are voting for Ford, so even in the mostly left-wing, gay community, Ford still gets some votes. I would hope it would be a very small percentage though, because all my real friends (as opposed to my online friends) hate him with a passion.

Help me out here please as I'm out of country: what confession? Did I miss something good?

A slip in a presser on Thursday. Not the only mention of illegal activity by Robbie, Brazen II, and the refused TPS interview fits in there as well.

“You know what, you’re never going to catch me at the liquor store, you’re never going to catch me doing anything illegal — those days are gone, finished.â€

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/07/mayor-rob-ford-says-hes-still-sober

leeeee34 9:29am via Twitter Web Client

@1weesel @reporterdonpeat Funny he doesnt say....I am very proud to be sober 29 days today : )

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat · 2h
"I'm not quite sure how she's going to ignore me" Mayor Rob Ford on Premier Kathleen Wynne #TOpoli #onpoli

Andrew Tumilty @AndrewTumilty Year and a half of practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back