756     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely not in my world (and I'm a ~ 50 y.o. male with plenty of single male friends). YMMV. Hollywood frequently presents these pairings. Real life FAR less so.

Good to hear that. In my world, I have witnessed it many, many times, both with people I know as acquaintances, and just oot and aboot in the city. And friends of mine on dating sites complain about older men looking for someone "no older than 30" for a relationship (not too young, but still). You know for some, it's time to settle down and find that baby mamma.

Not just Hollywood, although the better looking and richer the man, the higher the chance of it happening.

Back to the topic of this thread.....

Yeah, there's a whole generation that has never known what it's like to hit the steering wheel with the bridge of one's nose, because of airbags.

Interesting to note that traffic fatalities are now at their lowest level since 1949. Certainly nothing like the slaughter back in the '70's. CP24 would have had a field day.

That's an American statistic from 2011, but likely compares to Toronto as well.

Not just Hollywood, although the better looking and richer the man, the higher the chance of it happening.

Like Patty, the Millionaire Matchmaker says, "They're all six-feet tall when they stand on their wallets."

I suspect that may be partly true for RoFo as well.

"It's a waste of time" Cllr Doug Ford on budget committee meeting today
https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/497042886211694593/photo/1

Mikey getting in the groove.

View attachment 30869

The kids are darn near taller than he is! LOL

Tell me he isn't a chip off the old block!

I wish he would wear a tie.

He's lucky to have a suit and tie job. Clean, inside work with no heavy lifting!

Last edited:
I think it was the same year for Quebec. My dad got into a multi-vehicle accident and sustained only a minor facial injury, but the car was a write-off due to front-end damage. I don't recall as a kid ever being in a vehicle that didn't have seatbelts, and three-point seatbelts at that, because that car, like the ones before and after it, was a Volvo.

Hah - the shoulder strap was separate. I guess there were two belt buckles - one for the shoulder and one for the lap - I don't remember. The shoulder strap was clipped up above the door when not in use. We also had seatbelts in the backseat (but I don't think there were any shoulder straps). Despite the car accident, IIRC the shoulder strap spent most of its life clipped up out of the way above the door :rolleyes:. We didn't have a car with three-point seatbelts (or AC!) for another ten years.

This has been driving me crazy for awhile. Several times Rob has used the expression "my heart bleeds for .....", and I've always thought it was to be used ironically. He used it again yesterday, so I looked it up and I was right. Once again Rob is misusing another expression.

Don PeatVerified account
‏@reporterdonpeat
RT @MaryamSun1 "My heart just bleeds for these people, that's a major tragedy" Rob Ford on VELD music festival deaths

“I admit my heart bleeds for Doug Holyday for sure but you have to hand it to Peter who won fair and square. I am really hoping Doug will now come back and run for council again. We need him on there.” Toronto Sun June 13/2014

“My heart bleeds for them when someone gets killed. But it's their own fault at the end of the day.” On fatally injured cyclists, March 7, 2007 ...NOW

“I don’t know how I would carry on if I lost my daughter,” Ford said. “My heart bleeds for this family and any other family that have lost a loved one, especially a child.” Toronto Sun July 17/2014

Thank you, I feel better now.

This has been driving me crazy for awhile. Several times Rob has used the expression "my heart bleeds for .....", and I've always thought it was to be used ironically. He used it again yesterday, so I looked it up and I was right. Once again Rob is misusing another expression.

Don PeatVerified account
‏@reporterdonpeat
RT @MaryamSun1 "My heart just bleeds for these people, that's a major tragedy" Rob Ford on VELD music festival deaths

“I admit my heart bleeds for Doug Holyday for sure but you have to hand it to Peter who won fair and square. I am really hoping Doug will now come back and run for council again. We need him on there.” Toronto Sun June 13/2014

“My heart bleeds for them when someone gets killed. But it's their own fault at the end of the day.” On fatally injured cyclists, March 7, 2007 ...NOW

“I don’t know how I would carry on if I lost my daughter,” Ford said. “My heart bleeds for this family and any other family that have lost a loved one, especially a child.” Toronto Sun July 17/2014

I noticed that too. He's really like one of those dolls where you pull the string and he says some rote phrase. Pull it enough times and you notice the repetition. Even without the scandals I feel like 4 years of media coverage would have adequately exposed how limited his vocabulary (with words, politics -whatever) is.

And the number of times he's used "this great city" while never using its name while he's speaking is another one of his rote expressions that annoys me.

Fine by me. I can't stand the way he pronounces it.

Tronno. :rolleyes: <shudder>

Also *really* not a fan of the repetition, but I guess with that limited a vocabulary...:p

Don PeatVerified account
‏@reporterdonpeat

“I admit my heart bleeds for Doug Holyday for sure but you have to hand it to Peter who won fair and square. I am really hoping Doug will now come back and run for council again. We need him on there.†Toronto Sun June 13/2014

“My heart bleeds for them when someone gets killed. But it's their own fault at the end of the day.†On fatally injured cyclists, March 7, 2007 ...NOW

“I don’t know how I would carry on if I lost my daughter,†Ford said. “My heart bleeds for this family and any other family that have lost a loved one, especially a child.†Toronto Sun July 17/2014

Seems to depend upon which dictionary one consults. Oxford won't have it as anything but ironic; Cambridge gives it first as a legitimate expression of great sadness for someone, 'but often used humorously to mean the opposite'. Merriam-Webster ignores the phrase 'my heart bleeds' completely. :) My thought is that given the potential for it to be taken as sarcasm, one might best stay away from it when expressing true sympathy. My further thought is that RoFo is completely unaware of the irony...thus providing a second irony (since I rather suspect how genuine his 'genuine' sympathy is in the first place). :)

Fine by me. I can't stand the way he pronounces it.

Tronno. :rolleyes: <shudder>

Also *really* not a fan of the repetition, but I guess with that limited a vocabulary...:p
Bad enough he's limited, he misunderstands or butchers the few expressions he does use. Remember "actions speaks louder than words", I rest my case. :rolleyes:

Naw, you can use it sincerely. How could it be used "ironically" unless the original meaning is sincere? Both meanings are valid, depending on the context.

Source: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/my-heart-bleeds-for-sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back