145     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 293     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.9K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would robbie have to say about him to leeane -- and why would he even be aware of jimmit -- and why would she send a cryptically threatening tweet mentioning him and his brother?

Between the workplace note and this it just seems really odd. I'll not speculate any further out of respect to jimmi. Just hope everything is okay.

I'm surprised with Sue-Ann Levy's question about stepping down. I thought she was always on his side, and that question was pretty aggressive and not very kiss ass.

Maybe she's starting to see the light. Maybe even the Sun knows something's about to come down. Maybe.

I don't think it's just "manners." Remember how badly "attack mode" went for the PCs regarding the "Chretien's face" ads, or that "McGuinty eats kittens" gaffe. Attacking is a delicate business and it can be turn-off for voters. Or they can just say "do you have something to contribute besides attacking your opponent? what are you actually going to do as mayor?" etc.

But not all attacks are equal or as equally unreasonable. Righteous anger is vastly different from lying bluster, and smackdowns based on factual truth against criminals is hardly the same as smear attempts from demonstrable liars, political extremists, and snake oil salesmen.

Look: Bullies are not popular figures in the public imagination. But if there's a figure that's even less liked or well regarded, it's the political actor who simply will not lift a finger to defend him/herself in the face of relentless attacks. People want to vote for winners, or lacking that, they at least want candidates who look like they're trying to win. This is particularly true of basically apolitical types who don't follow the world of politics closely. In my experience, politicians who sit on their hands and deliberately refuse to hit back when faced by opponents like the Fords are looked on with contempt, whether fairly or not.

I'm all for high-mindedness, but it has to done correctly, and in the right context. It takes two to tango, and when the likes of Slob and Thug slither onto the scene, then playing the "high-minded" card and declaring all this unpleasant squabbling as just being oh-so vulgar and uncouth is a sucker's game. It just looks bad. Apart from anything else, it makes the self-appointed 'adults' in the room look as if they expect to be crowned King without having to do any work for it, whatever the actual reality of the situation. And creeps like the Fords always take advantage. Always.

Some people have the skills to pull off the whole "staying above it all" in the face of vicious street fighters like the Ford brothers, but if you'll forgive my pessimism, none of our current crowd of listless, tepid front runners have that skill set. John Kerry's refusal to utter a peep in his own defence in the wake of the Swift Boat liars' bullshit did him incalculable harm, and I think the same thing may well be happening here.

But not all attacks are equal or as equally unreasonable. Righteous anger is vastly different from lying bluster, and smackdowns based on factual truth against criminals is hardly the same as smear attempts from demonstrable liars, political extremists, and snake oil salesmen.

Look: Bullies are not popular figures in the public imagination. But if there's a figure that's even less liked or well regarded, it's the political actor who simply will not lift a finger to defend him/herself in the face of relentless attacks. People want to vote for winners, or lacking that, they at least want candidates who look like they're trying to win. This is particularly true of basically apolitical types who don't follow the world of politics closely. In my experience, politicians who sit on their hands and deliberately refuse to hit back when faced by opponents like the Fords are looked on with contempt, whether fairly or not.

I'm all for high-mindedness, but it has to done correctly, and in the right context. It takes two to tango, and when the likes of Slob and Thug slither onto the scene, then playing the "high-minded" card and declaring all this unpleasant squabbling as just being oh-so vulgar and uncouth is a sucker's game. It just looks bad. Apart from anything else, it makes the self-appointed 'adults' in the room look as if they expect to be crowned King without having to do any work for it, whatever the actual reality of the situation. And creeps like the Fords always take advantage. Always.

Some people have the skills to pull off the whole "staying above it all" in the face of vicious street fighters like the Ford brothers, but if you'll forgive my pessimism, none of our current crowd of listless, tepid front runners have that skill set. John Kerry's refusal to utter a peep in his own defence in the wake of the Swift Boat liars' bullshit did him incalculable harm, and I think the same thing may well be happening here.

Thank you - you don't win against bullies by being high minded - you either hope and pray that a higher power to step in (rule of law and all that), or you give them the smackdown at their psychological solar plexus.

AoD

Last edited:
@Michael_Peake 26m
After the Mayors Debate Doug Ford listens to media questions of brother Rob. #TOpoli
BtrXjPhIMAAeGj2.jpg

he looks like he's gonna kill someone! :eek:

That's one pissed-off looking Muppet.

Interesting lions - didn't Sattva use one as the avatar of his (now banned) Twitter account?

AoD

Probably just a coincidence. Sattva was shown to be Leon Brule, right? This blog apparently belongs to someone named M. Marinov. Which could still be a fake name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back