190     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 516     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 620     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully appreciate that the police union is separate from the force, and that unions will tend to favour candidates that support their financial interests. But in this case, the optics of supporting the candidate who is linked to numerous criminals would undermine the credibility of the police union, and by extension, the rank and file officers who gave their leadership the ok to do so. Furthermore, with a mayor who has helped obstruct an investigation into a gun smuggling gang, the argument can be easily made that supporting Ford would actually endanger the safety of frontline officers.

Even if it doesn't exactly meet the definition or letter of the applicable law, obstruction is exactly what it appears to be. Rob Ford has every right to not self-incriminate or even merely speak to the cops. But, as a sitting elected figure, to whom does that look good or even reasonable? The IHTWOF bunker aside.

Also, what kind of 'Mayor' would defiantly declare that he 'is not a snitch'. Of all the insanity on toast this whole sordid thing has spread, that blithe, juvenile declaration is, in some ways, the most outrageous.

Was Ford Fest a campaign event?

The city had bylaw officers at the event on Friday night and found the conditions of the permit were met (story here).

That would seem to close the book on Ford Fest.

But wait, there’s more.

As the fog of Ford Fest lifted on Saturday, Mayor Ford used his official Twitter account to direct people to fordfest.ca to see photos of the event.

To view the photos on the website you need to give your name, phone number and e-mail.

(I’m not sure why you have to do that, who is collecting the information and where it goes but I offered up my contact information to get a look at the website)

And what’s at the bottom of the Ford Fest page? This contact phone number: 416-751-3673 or 416-751-FORD.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/goodgravy/politics/was-ford-fest-a-campaign-event/

speaking of, anyone care to read the tea leaves on bill blair? think he'll ask for his job back? think he'll get it?

if yes/no, how does that play into Brazen 2, or the ford situation generally?

Ron Taverner will be the Ford Family choice.

but doug isn't really an ethical vegetarian, per se... just an 'ethical' non-beef eater.

he worked in a slaughter house which processed beef... what he saw was so grotesque, that he doesn't eat beef. but he doesn't have the insight and empathy to think about the fact that if he had worked in a chicken slaughter house, he would have been disgusted enough to not eat chicken, etc.

if dougie had really learned from working in the slaughter house, he would be full vegetarian, if not vegan, now.

but... i am surprised that he even cared about what he saw being done to cows.

There is nothing ethical about him, he was grossed out by what he saw but it wasn't sympathy for the animals.

I get the Nation part, but I don't understand the Ford part. It's fine to want to belong to a group, but why would you want to belong to a person? It's Red Sox Nation, not David Ortiz Nation. The self-centeredness is extreme, and it has no future once Ford is out on his ass along with the rest of the clan. All those people have no idea how lost they will feel when they wake up on Oct 28th and their nation has been lost because the name has become meaningless. The dichotomy of mixing the concept of nationhood and a family name with Demi-god status is certainly missed by the faithful.

Many excellent analyses regarding Ford Nation and its utter devotion to RF. I'm not a psychologist but I believe part of the drive of Ford Nation derives from the feeling of belonging to something...finally. Many of the Nation are and always have been disenfranchised from the main stream of anything...deprived as children (whether by poverty or poverty of thought) or having arrived in this country and encountering the daily doses of marginalization and racism, these sufferers never "belong" to a group . They are, outside of their Nation, just a huge number of individuals all struggling and failing (not their fault!) in this world order of austerity and neo-liberalism.

Ford Nation is the frosh class at University, it is the old style union local, the sports team fans - what's key to the group is that their group, Ford Nation, is recognized objectively as a group, a force, and its members belong. Notice the demographics; outside of Nation activities, many of these people would never cross paths. I'm assuming that outside of Nation activities, its racist members return to intolerance in their daily lives - but during the physical gatherings and in their Nation mode, all differences pale as against those who challenge their group. The group, for which tee shirts are printed, banners are hung, the media covers and to which a Mayor pays homage - imagine!!

I guess I'm glad that this sector of Ford Nation gets some respite from hard existences and feels the comfort of belonging. It's too bad that our policies and attitudes syphoned some angry, frightened and largely ignored people into creating such a malevolent group - I fear it to be entrenched - I also fear that unless other candidates do something (both mayoral and councillor), and we all do something to demonstrate a commitment to the people who are mightily struggling, there may be more joiners to the group.

201019-zanta-photo.jpg

What ward is he running in?

Zanta Rocks!

The pastor has the right attitude towards politics, it's good to see that these days. It's not surprising Robbie was late, I think the only thing Robbie is never late for is the Ford Fester.

I do think there is no more ridiculous thing than adults using stuff designed for kids, make it a photo op and you have the Ford bros.

He was late for FF, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back