News   Jul 15, 2024
 620     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 575     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 30514

There were disabled children being wheeled up to the big tent. Almost like an old-time camp meeting for true believers.
View attachment 30522

This sort of puts in perspective. We're disappointed by the large turnout for something so obviously vile, but those faith healing televangelist things they have every so often probably double or triple the amount of people. It does not surprise me at all that Ford attracts similar crowds.

I can. Have you been to Scarborough? I grew up here. It is endless strip malls and it lacks all character. The street are too dangerous to ride bikes on and to get anywhere you must drive.

You sound like a self loather stuck in a rural society. Strip malls, yes, but Scarborough has a lot of character, and some would say characters.

Yes, you could say I have been to Scarborough, and I have been to all parts of it, and lived, on and off in it, for decades, starting in the '70's.

There are a lot of communities in Scarborough, from farms to urban centres, I would like to think we Scarburbanites demographically represent the whole of Toronto, for good or bad.

For the record, there are quite a few actual bike lanes, and a dedicated muti-use trail in Scarborough. My wife and I don't have or need a car, we are in 30min. walking distance to everything we need.

Considering the courtesy of some drivers, it is hazardous to use a bike on most streets in Toronto.

Last edited:
But you're viewing it through a vacuumland prism--there's history, and stories there; yea even in the "endless strip malls". In fact, the irony is: a lot of Micallef-ian sensitive urbanites are better prepared to appreciate said "history and stories" within Scarberia's midst than, I'll betcha, a "DoFo 99%" of Ford Fest attendees--who wouldn't know in blazes what to make of Thomson Park and its environs were Ford Fest not there as raison d'etre to go there.

And I think *that's* what's colouring your perspective--a "characterlessness" compounded by the philistine nimrods all around you. Scarberians as a wilfully ignorant insult to their own turf.

Thank you, well put.

My only comment on Doug's Ks is that it's interesting to me that acclamation of the Ward 2 Dauphin has gone to the male nephew in the fam and not to any of the four K females. Unsuited or never asked? Not pilots? Or smart enough to say no?

If the TPA were insane enough to support Ford, any lingering public confidence in the TPS would be blown to bits. Imagine the police union arguing that the man with links to a violent street gang was the best candidate to ensure public safety. I'm still optimistic that they'd see that decision as too toxic.

He's in good with Toronto's emergency services unions. They are independent of the chiefs and boards.

"And if they're going to make a bit more money for doing it – I have never had a person come up and say, ‘Rob, I object to paying paramedics, firefighters or police more money.’ This is where the money should be spent, and I have no problem paying our officers, or our firefighters or our paramedics good money to do a job."

Councillor Rob Ford, CP24 mayoral debate. October 2010

The core political principle of the emergency services unions is to support the candidates who support us. ie: Safe staffing levels ( which also protects civilians ), health and safety, pay, benefits, pensions etc.

Last edited:
He's in good with Toronto's emergency services unions. They are independent of the chiefs and boards.

"And if they're going to make a bit more money for doing it – I have never had a person come up and say, ‘Rob, I object to paying paramedics, firefighters or police more money.’ This is where the money should be spent, and I have no problem paying our officers, or our firefighters or our paramedics good money to do a job."

Councillor Rob Ford, CP24 mayoral debate. October 2010

The core political principle of the emergency services unions is to support the candidates who support us.

It is true that one of Ford's most infuriating gambits was to just kill Miller - who was not even running - over the garbage strike/local 416 contract, then sign a much more expensive sweetheart deal with the police. That, and declaring TTC essential, will cost us SO much more money.

Actually, in the beginning it was called the "Gay Village". It was only after it was well established that people started calling it just, "The Village".

To be fair, I think the only official city name it's had is "Church & Wellesley Village". We've established there've been many nicknames, so I think that we can probably give up on this topic now.

I'm not a psychologist but I believe part of the drive of Ford Nation derives from the feeling of belonging to something...finally

I agree. The way the regulars on IHTWOMRF speak in their comment threads indicates this; the incessant "troll spray"-thing is sad, but their acceptance and even requests for it show it's almost as much about shared camaraderie than actual political organization.

Considering the courtesy of some drivers, it is hazardous to use a bike on most streets in Toronto.

If one ever wants to see the dangers of cyclists and cars sharing the roads, one only has to spend a half-hour watching traffic at 5pm from the corner of Church & Bloor. One of the worst intersections for sh!tty drivers and sh!tty cyclists alike. Hell I'm pro-cycle, and don't cycle in this city out of complete fear, but the sheer idiocy I see in that area every day astounds even my super-cautious side.

It is true that one of Ford's most infuriating gambits was to just kill Miller - who was not even running - over the garbage strike/local 416 contract, then sign a much more expensive sweetheart deal with the police. That, and declaring TTC essential, will cost us SO much more money.

Especially since Hudak lost. He was pushing for arbitration reform. Not going to happen now.

It is true that one of Ford's most infuriating gambits was to just kill Miller - who was not even running - over the garbage strike/local 416 contract, then sign a much more expensive sweetheart deal with the police.

Sadly, perhaps it's because of this that I've met and heard from Ford Nationals who actually believe that Ford ran—and won—against David Miller.

dynamic_resize

Ford isn't the only one who would like to have a selfie done with.

201019-zanta-photo.jpg

What ward is he running in?

I was thanking her for her post. and prefer not to read those sites - sheesh my eyes just bleed whenever I read that sh!t. There will always be more hateful crap out there - doesn't mean you have to stoop. This forum has excellent stuff on it - physical appearance, families, kids should be off limits. Take the high road.

I do agree with this. For everything Rob and Doug have done, I wouldn't speak ill of their kids.

Sadly, perhaps it's because of this that I've met and heard from Ford Nationals who actually believe that Ford ran—and won—against David Miller.

"Following his term as mayor, Miller rejoined the law firm of Aird & Berlis LLP where he specializes in international business and sustainability. He splits his time between Toronto and Brooklyn, New York where he accepted a three-year appointment at the Polytechnic Institute of New York University as Future of Cities Global Fellow and will teach courses on finding technological solutions to urban problems."

Can you imagine RoDoMiFo ever being offered anything as prestigious as that, if they ever left politics?

"Following his term as mayor, Miller rejoined the law firm of Aird & Berlis LLP where he specializes in international business and sustainability. He splits his time between Toronto and Brooklyn, New York where he accepted a three-year appointment at the Polytechnic Institute of New York University as Future of Cities Global Fellow and will teach courses on finding technological solutions to urban problems."

Can you imagine RoDoMiFo ever being offered anything as prestigious as that, if they ever left politics?

Nope. The most prestigious thing I can see a Ford being offered is a chance to play a guest heel on WWE's Monday Night Raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back