224     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.9K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
To chip in here, as one of the protestors at the heated Scarborough debate, we also had some extremely pleasant conversations with passers-by outside after the debate. Some curious, some with things they wanted to say. One man for example had no idea the police ITO documents were publicly available and was very interested (and shocked) in the information we could give him. Two other young men talked for quite some time - both were from visible minorities, and both in different ways pointed out that immigrant communities are socially conservative and may in fact support Ford in his homophobic positions. One young man who stuck around for quite some time started out by saying "all politicians lie" but did end up offering his opinion on Ford, which is that he should have stepped down after his rehab. They may not have been FN infantry, but they were more than willing to talk it out a bit.

this is great. this is the kind of thing that is important. if you run into pro-Ford types, talk to them. If they are of the Iola Fortino variety -- run away!! But there are soft supporters out there, and they are not all violent, intransigent or crazy. We here forget that not everyone has read every little thing about Rob Ford. Just because there's an information superhighway out there, doesn't mean everyone is jumping on it. And if they don't care about one issue (not marching at PRIDE) they might care about another.

I like the tweet/storify posts that Andray Domise makes -- the one about the young man who wants to put a community centre in Rexdale and others show concrete examples of how the Fords have let the community down. He's not just yelling about how they are Fords so they must be bad, or bringing up crack or whatever; he really spells it out. His attacks on Doug Ford are spot on, and none of it is personal.

(though I wish A.D. would tweet a bit less, he's really monopolizing my TL and the "stories" should just go on a blog and he can tweet links to them, not break up essays into 20 tweets)

So Dennis Morris was a no show in court for Kathy yesterday. Folks think a big rift has developed between her and the brothers and that she dished helpful stuff about Rob to police. Wonder if she appears at Ford Fest

She's so weird. What is the point of the horse?!?

Hahaha I have no idea but I love it. This thing is turning into a carnival. The great thing about this is that Ford is drawn into being part of the fringe crew. All the weirdos and goofs are showing up. Meanwhile the responsible candidates are staying as faaaaaaar away as possible.

Fire trucks! Horses! Weeeee!

So Dennis Morris was a no show in court for Kathy yesterday. Folks think a big rift has developed between her and the brothers and that she dished helpful stuff about Rob to police. Wonder if she appears at Ford Fest

Was Mom with her this time?

When I was growing up in the suburbs of Etobicoke, our prefix was CHerry.

"Phone exchange names once defined neighbourhoods"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...s-once-defined-neighbourhoods/article1109650/

"Were you a WAlnut or a CHerry? How about a PRincess or a GRover, and I don't mean the lovable blue Sesame Street character.

I'm referring, of course, to the old Toronto telephone exchange names, and if you're over 50, you probably remember yours."

for those that are curious...

Toronto telephone exchange geography

http://www.kvack.org/~bcrl/to-COs.html

Might be a nice day to take a walk around areas of the city you'd otherwise avoid. Apparently every crazy person in Toronto is in Scarborough today.

did Kathy bother to show up? How about her son, or was he too busy learning his lines from Uncle Doug?

I really can't get behind all this "it's a campaign event" outrage. It's brought way too much attention to this event. I bet there are people (like the women in khristopher's CP24 video) who would not have even gone to FordFest if it weren't for all the negative attention ("oh poor Robbie, they are persecuting him again, and all he want is to honour his daddy!", etc). Now they feel like they have to go show support (note both ladies said they'd never gone to FordFest before).

I would have preferred for FordFest to pass as just a minor blip in the news cycle. Now, once again, all eyes are on Rob Ford and no one cares what any other candidate is doing the weekend. Don't get me wrong; I understand why we havecampaign rules and I don't disagree with people pointing out the violations. It's just that the level of outrage is out of proportion to the violation and is being driven by people's personal dislike of Rob Ford. If you don't think so, calm down, count to ten and ask yourself if you'd really be this riled up if it were Soknacki having an open-to-the-public party in the park.

Also I'm much more interested in pursuing the serious violations that Rob Ford has committed than violations of some election by-laws. Breaking the actual law (the Criminal Code) and misuse of office is what I want this guy nailed on.

I can only speak for myself, Kat, but for me, it's the sheer repitition in rule/law breaking that's really offensive here, and it's what makes our own homegrown Il Douche such a special case. It would be one thing if Ford were to demonstrably bend the rules, say, a couple of times. After all, many (most?) politicians tend to be a tad morally flexible to say the least. But when these incidents pile up to the point where he willfully and flagrantly and openly and unashamedly - hell, when he proudly - violates the rules every single time, it's a little difficult to simply shrug one's shoulders and say, "Eh. whaddahya gonna do?" Once or twice is one thing. 300 or 400 or 500 times is another story altogether. That's what pisses me off.

That said, I don't even particularly disagree with your comments on the subject, but the problem is we're in a damned-if-we-do/damned-if-we-don't situation with Ford. Yes, you're correct in that if we try and actually hold the rotten sack of shit responsible for his actions, he'll start screaming about being persecuted. That's certainly true. But if we take the so-called "high road" and allow him to do whatever the hell he pleases with no pushback whatsoever, we look like cowards and weaklings and incompetents. The entire world's eyes are on this clown show, and the more we allow Ford to push us around, the worse we look. It's as simple as that. And that also plays into his supporters' sense of empowerment; I don't know if you've noticed, but these Tea Party types approve of these kind of thug tactics. They absolutely relish this sort of bullyboy thuggery. It's one of the reasons they're supporting Ford, possibly the main reason. And it's why he shouldn't be allowed to get away with this shit.

Last edited:
"Mollywood" is another term, which of course, refers to Alexander Wood and Molly Wood's Bush.

Nobody in Toronto calls the Gay Village "Boystown". That's a Chicago term.

weird.... i never knew there was such a "divide" (for lack of a better term) when it comes to this neighbourhood's name. i've basically only ever heard it called boystown, until today... and i've lived in toronto my entire life. is it a 'depends what age you are' kinda thing?

Apparently Wormington is manning the grill.

While the rest of the Tourney media are doing their jobs, he's working for the Ford's. He's just mailing it in at this point, #nofux.

Something as simple as putting the permit in Doug's (or another family member's) name would probably get them through this loophole with ease.

It is in Doug's name. (Copy of application has been posted on Twitter for days.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back