1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I see Ford supporters interviewed, I'm reminded of recent studies which have shown that conservatives' brains work differently than liberals. In general conservatives are more fearful of the world and focus more on negative things: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/02/brain-difference-democrats-republicans

There is actually neurological evidence to explain why Ford Nation tends to be resentful, paranoid, and able to see conspiracies everywhere.

Michael Thomspson can't stand Ford. It must be hard to write responses and not be able to say "I know right?! What a prick."

It's our laws and policies that, quite frankly and in theory, I'm glad are written for cases of civilized operations.

If we change the laws and policies now, it's the same as the asinine idea that banning any ball in a school yard will prevent anyone from ever getting hurt. When it actually hurts all of us.

I don't understand why you think it's a flagrant violation. Mike is part of the Ford (/Stirpe?) family and the decision was already made by the powers that be that the party can go ahead as long as it's not a campaign event. Mike may be a candidate but he's also a Ford. The decision is not one you agree with, but given what it is I don't see how this can be construed as a violation. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just curious as to your reasoning given the ruling that's already come down. "Ruling" may be too strong a word, but you catch my drift.

I know many of you disagree and I respect your position, but in my mind it's just a silly picnic thrown by a doomed candidate/family. The band played on the Titanic, but it didn't stop the ship from sinking. If a free sno-cone is going to sway someone into voting for a crack-smoking drunk driving racist homophobic inveterate liar who refuses to speak to the very police force he claims to support, we're all in worse trouble than we thought. I don't think it behoves the anti-Ford forces to get overly angry about this.

Plus, free hamburgers!!!!!!

I agree with both of you. We don't need stricter laws that stifle everything just because a few people are so batshit crazy and/or shameless that they don't know when enough is enough.

I really can't get behind all this "it's a campaign event" outrage. It's brought way too much attention to this event. I bet there are people (like the women in khristopher's CP24 video) who would not have even gone to FordFest if it weren't for all the negative attention ("oh poor Robbie, they are persecuting him again, and all he want is to honour his daddy!", etc). Now they feel like they have to go show support (note both ladies said they'd never gone to FordFest before).

I actually agree that it is simply his annual family-run event. However it's a campaign event because everything Rob Ford does every year (not just election years) is campaigning. We don't make campaigning rules for such people because, frankly... it's just not normal. Most of the people going to this event would be voting for him anyways. A few others are going to grab some free food. If they base their votes on a free burger, I guess there's not much hope for us as a species. People need to understand that Ford policies don't make Toronto a better place to live, not vote for or against him based on this event.

I would have preferred for FordFest to pass as just a minor blip in the news cycle. Now, once again, all eyes are on Rob Ford and no one cares what any other candidate is doing the weekend. Don't get me wrong; I understand why we havecampaign rules and I don't disagree with people pointing out the violations. It's just that the level of outrage is out of proportion to the violation and is being driven by people's personal dislike of Rob Ford. If you don't think so, calm down, count to ten and ask yourself if you'd really be this riled up if it were Soknacki having an open-to-the-public party in the park.

Also I'm much more interested in pursuing the serious violations that Rob Ford has committed than violations of some election by-laws. Breaking the actual law (the Criminal Code) and misuse of office is what I want this guy nailed on.

I agree with both of you. We don't need stricter laws that stifle everything just because a few people are so batshit crazy and/or shameless that they don't know when enough is enough.

I really can't get behind all this "it's a campaign event" outrage. It's brought way too much attention to this event. I bet there are people (like the women in khristopher's CP24 video) who would not have even gone to FordFest if it weren't for all the negative attention ("oh poor Robbie, they are persecuting him again, and all he want is to honour his daddy!", etc). Now they feel like they have to go show support (note both ladies said they'd never gone to FordFest before).

I actually agree that it is simply his annual family-run event. However it's a campaign event because everything Rob Ford does every year (not just election years) is campaigning. We don't make campaigning rules for such people because, frankly... it's just not normal. Most of the people going to this event would be voting for him anyways. A few others are going to grab some free food. If they base their votes on a free burger, I guess there's not much hope for us as a species. People need to understand that Ford policies don't make Toronto a better place to live, not vote for or against him based on this event.

I would have preferred for FordFest to pass as just a minor blip in the news cycle. Now, once again, all eyes are on Rob Ford and no one cares what any other candidate is doing the weekend. Don't get me wrong; I understand why we havecampaign rules and I don't disagree with people pointing out the violations. It's just that the level of outrage is out of proportion to the violation and is being driven by people's personal dislike of Rob Ford. If you don't think so, calm down, count to ten and ask yourself if you'd really be this riled up if it were Soknacki having an open-to-the-public party in the park.

Also I'm much more interested in pursuing the serious violations that Rob Ford has committed than violations of some election by-laws. Breaking the actual law (the Criminal Code) and misuse of office is what I want this guy nailed on.

I am guilty of "campaign outrage", however open to constructive criticism. So I calmed down, counted to ten and asked myself why I was so riled up. And the answer was: because I have an overwhelming fear that he could win the election. The fact that he could win, helped out greatly with manipulation of city property, just adds fuel to my fire.

I was a WAlnut, although I only learned it retroactively. We moved to Toronto in the early '70s, and they had stopped the practice by then.

Coincidently, I also had a paper route in Boys Town, and even lived there for a time. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

When I was growing up in the suburbs of Etobicoke, our prefix was CHerry.

"Phone exchange names once defined neighbourhoods"
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...s-once-defined-neighbourhoods/article1109650/

"Were you a WAlnut or a CHerry? How about a PRincess or a GRover, and I don't mean the lovable blue Sesame Street character.

I'm referring, of course, to the old Toronto telephone exchange names, and if you're over 50, you probably remember yours."

Think it's time to give up. Toronto will get what it deserves. If enough people don't want him out and show up to vote, then the Ford supporters win. That's what's gonna happen, folks. You can't beat platitudes, low info, and free burgers for everybody sitting on that hill at the top of the bell curve.

Just remember that when a fordnationista sees a bicycle, their mind follows the same process that Laura Weintraub's does.

(Kinda joking but not really).

http://www.break.com/video/laura-weintraub-bike-video-california-cop-fired-2667175

I seem to recall photos of previous Ford Fests showing Ford Nationites (not party crashers) with bikes.

As for Laura Weintraub, I was going to say it's puzzling how someone so obnoxious and stupid could be a cop, but it turns out she was a volunteer cop and primarily a personal trainer of sorts. One of those people who drive to gyms.

[video=youtube;jG7KwjKu4VA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7KwjKu4VA&list=UU0jY3lJiz_9uT5wJ_UDoAjg[/video]

I recorded and uploaded video of the interview.

Of all the questions they could ask. I guess they're okay with his drug use and hanging out with thugs and drug dealers.

So the Catholic Church supports Robbie, so no ruler for him. Innuendo was an interesting album, it's despicable that the other one shares Robbie's views on gays. ;)

Mrs Stintz showed up.

"Ran into mayoral candidate Karen Stintz who has arrived at Ford Fest."
View attachment 30461

... Edited to add: Karen Stintz is beneath contempt, IMO. I truly hope she gets her head handed to her in the upcoming election.
karen stintz apparently just showed up at ford fest. i'm damned if i understand that woman, but it's looking more and more like the election strategy predictions made here might be panning out.

@powellbetsy 5m
Karen Stintz, wearing Karen Stintz for mayor t-shirt, was here but left without eating a free burger

I swear someone posted in this thread that all the other candidates should show up to FordFest to protest/counteract Rob's campaigning. So Stintz appears to be doing just that and gets chewed out? Because of some kooky speculation posted here (and supported by zero evidence) that she is gathering supporters so she can drop out of the race and ship those supporters over to Ford? (By the way, she can't ship any supporters to Ford; she can endorse him, and the people who were her supporters can CHOOSE to take her advice -- or not.)

I don't even like Stintz and I think she's not very bright, but it's just possible that she went there a) to make a point about FordFest and campaigning (by wearing the Stintz for Mayor shirt); and b) trying to be friendly and talk to people and steal a few supporters away from Ford -- which is pretty much what candidates do.

It's official! F--- Fest is about to begin. Thomson is campaigning here too...

Btaxk04CUAATUgy.jpg

Attachments

• Btaxk04CUAATUgy.jpg
    Btaxk04CUAATUgy.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 809
It's the fact that Ford always shows up with a camera crew in tow that really ought to clue people in that he might be somewhat less than sincere in his stated intentions. That things never change for the better in the aftermath of every single one of his self-promoting exercises is another hint that maybe, just maybe, he's simply using the people he claims he's trying to "help." Honestly, I want to sympathize with the poor bastards who are taken in by this schtick, but the Fords are so crass and obvious and just plain transparent in their motives that it's mind-boggling anyone could be dumb enough to fall for it.

Agreed, though I would add that it's not necessarily about being dumb. Though yes that absolutely does happen. He milked the whole Respect for Taxpayer that I think hooked a lot of soft support from the middle class suburbanites, but I hope that's evaporated by now.

This pisses me off on a personal level however, Rofo IMO seems to exploits some newer immigrants who may not speak english well. They may not be familiar with the level of bureacracy, hell I doubt anyone would say yes I want more red tape. Rofo seems to be playing Godfather like role. I will personally help you with this matter (does he really?) with no payment needed. But, maybe one day, in the future, I can count on your support. When a new Canadian is struggling to learn English and still adjusting to the ways of of Toronto and Canada, and too often they get a wall of bureaucracy, and red tape, and sometimes feels like an outsider. RoFo swooping in like a kind and humble 'public servant', can seem like a godsend. I don't necessarily see it as dumb, it's part of human perception. And he exploits that perception to a tee.

Meanwhile, the two thugs are in the process gleefully breaking the rules yet again with their latest Thug Fest, and all of City Hall collectively shrug their shoulders and say, "So what?" This is positively sickening to witness.

Yep. It's absolutely corrosive to the trust in public institution.

Edited to add: Karen Stintz is beneath contempt, IMO. I truly hope she gets her head handed to her in the upcoming election.

WTF, genuinely WTF is Stintz thinking? Is this bizarro Toronto, was she abducted and replaced by Pod version Karen Stintz during that chat in Ford's office?

edited addition:

I don't even like Stintz and I think she's not very bright, but it's just possible that she went there a) to make a point about FordFest and campaigning (by wearing the Stintz for Mayor shirt); and b) trying to be friendly and talk to people and steal a few supporters away from Ford -- which is pretty much what candidates do.

Valid point, and I certainly take back my WTF if that was the case. It's just, weird. Stintz seems to be uh, erratic sometimes with the Fords.

Last edited:
i'm going too, on my bike, from leaside

i don't think anyone will notice us, as it's a public park

don't wear your helmet when you line up for burgers

me personally i have plenty enough to eat at home

but i will be wearing my "Bike Riding PINKO" button

:)

Thanks for my first giggle of the day. (It's after 5 PM I needed that!)

I am concerned too. In the last provincial election I worked in York-South Weston and had many direct encounters with Ford Nation.

One of the most consistent traits of the Ford Nation Flock is that they are unpleasant people. They tend to be bitter, cruel and hold deep resentment towards particular communities.

I met an unabashed Ford supporter, dipping in-and-out of unintelligible Patois, actually tell me that she doesn't like Olivia Chow because "she can't speak English." She claimed that Chow was hiding a "gay agenda" because she supported flying the Pride flag at City Hall. When I calmly started to refute her claims she became physically intimidating and started yelling claiming I was being fed lies.

Another time during the campaign I met a cocky, 20-something Portuguese labourer who claimed he "didn't care if Ford was fucking whores twelve hours a day, he is saving me money."

On a separate occasion I chatted with a burly, unpleasant Greek cab driver who claimed that the Toronto Star, OPP and Toronto Police were conspiring against Ford because he is "derailing the gravy train."

To chip in here, as one of the protestors at the heated Scarborough debate, we also had some extremely pleasant conversations with passers-by outside after the debate. Some curious, some with things they wanted to say. One man for example had no idea the police ITO documents were publicly available and was very interested (and shocked) in the information we could give him. Two other young men talked for quite some time - both were from visible minorities, and both in different ways pointed out that immigrant communities are socially conservative and may in fact support Ford in his homophobic positions. One young man who stuck around for quite some time started out by saying "all politicians lie" but did end up offering his opinion on Ford, which is that he should have stepped down after his rehab. They may not have been FN infantry, but they were more than willing to talk it out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back