516     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 625     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great irony here is a lot of the group are total slacktivists (an argument conservatives often make of "lefties"). They can't be bothered to get off their ass and do something for their beliefs. I think a lot just see it as a clique where like minds can spout off.

Yep. And when Ford opponents do something and stand up for their beliefs, the Fordites imply that they either have the time to do so because they're unemployed or else are paid (union) shills. But judging by the looks of the 9 or so people who showed up in support of Ford today, employment is not a big part of their existence either.

Is today's Toronto City Council being televised today? I'm not at home (Rogers 10 would usually have it), and I can't see it at Roger's Toronto City Council website.

Thanks in advance ;)

The voting is a runoff. First round no one had enough votes to win. Two front runners divided the majority of votes in a right/left split. What I found interesting was that in the second vote, two councilors - Lindsay LUby and Leon switched from voting for the candidate supported by the right (and RoDoFo) to the other front candidate. Not wanting to be associated with the Fords?

ParkdalePetunia, you've got the drift of my sentiment. I think shirtless joe was great. We need more people to stand up against Ford in public like he did with forceful, controlled and intelligent questions.

We don't need to make this a cult of the personality, though. Killoran's interaction with Ford wasn't great because he was shirtless; he was great because he gave voice to the anger, concern and questions many of us share. To focus on the "shirtless" angle diverts attention from the seriousness of our concerns and makes the protest against Ford a bit of a circus, imo. I love the memes that have appeared on twitter and FB but I believe Killoran would want every person concerned about Ford's record to find their own, individual way of expressing and presenting this, not to copy the outfit he happened to be wearing when he encountered Rofo.

We see today that Fordites are getting media attention because they are in the eye of the media at Council. I think many different but equally sincere, civil, direct and public expressions of citizen opposition is important. The boy's email to Ford is a great example. My suggestion to the RFMG group (though imperfectly expressed) was to take its excellent and unique form of opposition and make the public aware of it. Taking a 1/2 hour break from inside and strolling through the farmers market on Wednesdays with signs would rachet up the pressure on Ford, I believe.

I welcome the invitation to join the vigil. This past spring has been the worst series of serious medical and household disasters in our family ever and has forced me to be at home or hospital coping with the aftermath. Attending the parade, close to my home has been one of the few times I've been out when it wasn't to get food, etc. And I bumped into Ford! How ironic! A 2 hour round trip commute to City Hall to participate in the vigil has just not been possible. I am hoping that later in the summer, when the emerg repairs are finished, and the next schduled operation is over, I can come out to one or two. Certainly, it should be possible by fall. I would love it if, when I come, one or two of the vigil people would come outside with me for a half hour of peaceful picketing. I think it's worth a try and complements the effect of the vigil.

I think what rankled(me anyway) about your post is the closing argument where you implied East York has kicked us off here and we(who have been doing nothing) should follow your lead. If you have been paying attention for the last year(s) you will know there have been many initiatives taken, some small, some not so small. We have been active and involved and interested. Perhaps you were at the rally that this board made happen.
ParkdalePetunia, you've got the drift of my sentiment. I think shirtless joe was great. We need more people to stand up against Ford in public like he did with forceful, controlled and intelligent questions.

We don't need to make this a cult of the personality, though. Killoran's interaction with Ford wasn't great because he was shirtless; he was great because he gave voice to the anger, concern and questions many of us share. To focus on the "shirtless" angle diverts attention from the seriousness of our concerns and makes the protest against Ford a bit of a circus, imo. I love the memes that have appeared on twitter and FB but I believe Killoran would want every person concerned about Ford's record to find their own, individual way of expressing and presenting this, not to copy the outfit he happened to be wearing when he encountered Rofo.

We see today that Fordites are getting media attention because they are in the eye of the media at Council. I think many different but equally sincere, civil, direct and public expressions of citizen opposition is important. The boy's email to Ford is a great example. My suggestion to the RFMG group (though imperfectly expressed) was to take its excellent and unique form of opposition and make the public aware of it. Taking a 1/2 hour break from inside and strolling through the farmers market on Wednesdays with signs would rachet up the pressure on Ford, I believe.

I welcome the invitation to join the vigil. This past spring has been the worst series of serious medical and household disasters in our family ever and has forced me to be at home or hospital coping with the aftermath. Attending the parade, close to my home has been one of the few times I've been out when it wasn't to get food, etc. And I bumped into Ford! How ironic! A 2 hour round trip commute to City Hall to participate in the vigil has just not been possible. I am hoping that later in the summer, when the emerg repairs are finished, and the next schduled operation is over, I can come out to one or two. Certainly, it should be possible by fall. I would love it if, when I come, one or two of the vigil people would come outside with me for a half hour of peaceful picketing. I think it's worth a try and complements the effect of the vigil.

Yes, I was at that rally. And EY did kick off the public opposition to Ford's return from rehab. We had 1st crack and made it count!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back