464     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 611     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickles, I definitely appreciate you stepping up and voicing your displeasure with Ford, but I completely disagree with your opinion on the "cult-like response" to #shirtlessjogger. I say this with all due respect, but your voice inspired a few people around you to speak up, Joe became a meme, which in this day and age is the ultimate free exposure. The protest at City TV got media attention because they copied Joe. I don't care if it's gimmicky, it's getting attention that other anti-Ford voices aren't getting.

Ford likes his sound bites with nothing behind them, and people are either idiots or lazy so they fall for it without looking deeper. The left tries to show stats and figures to prove him wrong and it goes right over people's heads. One shirtless jogger shows up, becomes an internet meme and everyone pays attention. You may find it superficial and without depth, but it's a (classier) version of Ford's strategy of keeping things basic. There's actually a real message, but it's being promoted with something fun that the average person can pay attention to.

I say bravo to shirtless Joe and anything it/he inspires.

I was one of the people who opposed Ford's presence at the East York Canada Day parade. My opposition was covered by 4 tv stations -- broadcast across Canada -- Cbc radio and major newspapers.

While I am delighted that "shirtless Joe" showed up, about 5 minutes after the parade had passed by, to engage Ford, I am NOT happy with the cult-like response, including a group of people showing up topless to protest Ford's appearance at a radio station.

Folks (and yes I used this term long before Dofo), you are missing the point Joe Killoran made: we are supposed - each one of us -- to actively protest, seriously, not to pretend to be him or to make him a hero. I walked up to Ford and told him to "go back to Bracebridge, you're not wanted here." At that point the media came by and interviewed me. That influenced a couple of other people standing near me to heckle Ford and force him to move on. That's when I left. The parade was long gone. Ford was just trying to catch the stragglers with his campaigning. After I left, Joe showed up and, more forcefully, made the same points. Tellingly, he made them directly to Ford when the cameras were on.

That's what has to happen again and again. Forget the shirtless stuff.Forget the fun and games and cheap stunts. People have to confront Ford with one or two specific questions and hammer them home. While I appreciate the folks who have maintained the vigil at City Hall, it is almost totally ineffective. No one outside of UT knows it exists because it is hidden inside City Hall. If these dedicated folks spent 1 - 2 hours in this good weather carrying signs in Nathan Philips Square with questions and facts about Ford's horrible behaviour as mayor, they would have a chance to talk to others and educate/lobby them. And this small group needs more people to support them! Sitting at home on a Sunday night, typing a UT post doesn't cut it.

We East Yorkers have taken the first step. We forcefully, without profanity or abuse, let Ford and this city know we've had enough and it's time for him to go. What are the rest of you waiting for?

eh, I kinda agree with Pickles. It was funny at first but now they've completely co-opted it. Joe's shirtless rant was organic and spontaneous, that's what made it so noteworthy and yes while the shirtless protest on Friday was entertaining, the countless shirtless posts on twitter are too much, especially since one guy (Scott something) seems to be leading it and it's lost it's organic relation to Joe. I wouldn't call the copying cult-like, but it is verging on obnoxious.

eh, I kinda agree with Pickles. It was funny at first but now they've completely co-opted it. Joe's shirtless rant was organic and spontaneous, that's what made it so noteworthy and yes while the shirtless protest on Friday was entertaining, the countless shirtless posts on twitter are too much, especially since one guy (Scott something) seems to be leading it and it's lost it's organic relation to Joe. I wouldn't call the copying cult-like, but it is verging on obnoxious.

Different strokes. Scott's photos with questions for Ford were hilarious. I hope the movement grows.

He just can't travel to Chicago, which is technically, not in the US. :p

StrashinCBC 10:54am via Twitter for BlackBerry
Mayor Ford told reporters he can still travel to the US. Didn't explain why he turned around when he planned on entering a few months ago.

Well if it's verging on obnoxious, then bring on obnoxious! It's the only damn thing the media has cared about besides following around Rob and Doug and giving them free airtime so I hope everyone keeps being shirtless and "obnoxious" as long as it gives free airtime to the anti-Ford side of things.

He just can't travel to Chicago, which is technically, not in the US. :p

StrashinCBC 10:54am via Twitter for BlackBerry
Mayor Ford told reporters he can still travel to the US. Didn't explain why he turned around when he planned on entering a few months ago.

Maybe he was just too drunk/high.

The next shirtless joe?

ddale8 10:28am via TweetDeck
"Autism Nation." Here's the email 13-year-old Scott Smith sent to Doug Ford on Friday: http://pic.twitter.com/PFtE8cRJfr

Concrete proof that councilor\co-mayor Doug Ford is encouraging the youths of Canada to get interested in politics.

(I wonder if that will be Warmington's next headline.)

Greatest mayor (in name only) and co-mayor, ever.

Ann Hui just tweeted that a handful of pro-Ford people are at city hall to welcome Ford back and to rattle some chains.
Just like their hero, the campaign's volunteers would rather troll councilors at CH than go out and do real work LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back