News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 620     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fordian slips: A lesson in language for the Ford brothers
A comparison of Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber’s definitions versus the actual meanings of various misused words

For the councillor and mayor’s reference we’ve compiled a small lexicon of words as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary versus their Fordian use.

Jihad

Oxford English Dictionary: “a war or struggle against unbelievers†among Muslims. *Note: This term is politically charged and full of negative connotation, in part as a result of its constant and incorrect use by north Americans that promotes xenophobia.

Fordian use: A vain, bombastic attempt to compare your embarrassing family’s struggles with those of a holy war.

Autism

Fordian: People that shouldn’t be able to leave the house.

Doug Ford: “My heart goes out to these kids with autism. But no one told me they’d be leaving the house … an absolute nightmare … [people that are] ruining the communityâ€

Oxford English Dictionary: A mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by great difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts.

Racism

Fordian: “"You can be racist against people that eat little red apples

… Racism isn't just about religion and colour and race. It's about going after someone relentlessly on a daily basis."

Oxford English Dictionary: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

Chronicle

Fordian: The word was meant as an adjective. Rob was looking for the word “chronic,†meaning (Of an illness) persisting for a long time or constantly recurring

Oxford English Dictionary: A factual written account of important or historical events in the order of their occurrence.

Heroin

Fordian: One in a list of many substances possibly abused in a drunken stupor and therefore not recalled.

Rob Ford: “You name it, I’ve done it.â€

Oxford English Dictionary: A highly addictive analgesic drug derived from morphine, often used illicitly as a narcotic producing euphoria.

Apology

Fordian: An admission of guilt only motivated by public pressure and usually delivered through Crocodile tears.

Oxford English Dictionary: A regretful acknowledgement of an offence or failure.

You never know what to expect with the Ford brothers, but this is certainly the most entertaining show on television.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=198774

Even Stephen / July 6, 2014 at 11:24 pm

July 29th theres free beer for anyone who throws eggs or tomatos at rob ford in thompson park. Thats right, Citizens For Fairness is a Toronto group promoting ethical and non-violent means of getting corrupt politicians to step-down. On July 29th you will have a choice of Stella, Steam Whistle or Keiths for throwing eggs or tomatoes at rob ford. We ask people not to boil the eggs and also fresh tomatoes, not frozen or unripe. If anyone hits rob ford and his gang of idiots, you will get a 6-pack and a tshirt saying "I Jammed rob ford". Join us on July 29th and God bless toronto rob ford dies or runs away soon. Amen.
http://www.blogto.com/radar/2014/07/...uly_7-13_2014/

As tempting as pelting eggs at Ford and his goon squad. (So damn tempting.)

Even if it was in jest.

That will cross a dangerous line I think.

Ford and his ilk seems to have no trouble practicing physical violence and intimidation.
Rofo bowling over Councillor Mcconnell, taunting her later, ranting eye gouge video, etc etc too many to list by now.

Someone like the Fords and their goon squads, would probably have no problem seeing any
physical altercation, as an excuse to escalate the situation.

This is a mayor who seems to brag that he has the best -criminal- laywer, ever.
It's already been demonstrated more than once Rofo and Dofo have extremely poor impulse control.

I urge people to keep it safe, smart, sane, and legal.

Basically everything that is opposite of the Fords.

I can't deny that the thought of throwing rotten tomatoes at them is sooo tempting however.

Folks, get used to it: those dots will never be put together.
Timing is everything. I think charges are coming for something, way too much time and money spent. I hope they wait until after Rob is beaten at the polls in October, then shazam, he's led away in handcuffs shortly after.

I can't tell if Blair's just trying to brush Warmington off (which wouldn't be surprising) or if this is a gentle warning that Brazen 2 is dead.

Man, I really hope the police come up with something solid.

I wondered the same after reading that quote! I'm leaning towards it being a bluff though to throw people off.

To those who posted that they passed by recently: have they finished repaving the road? A block or two west of Ford's house, the road had been completely ripped out, right before a big downhill. It was just dirt. They hadn't closed it though you could drive through, but I didn't want to so I did a 3-point turn and went back to Scarlett.

All finished. It's paved.

I think a point in my post may have been misunderstood. I haven't suggested stopping RFMG vigils; I suggested that, for an hour or so each day when the weather is good, that RFMG people take their signs into Nathan Philips Square and engage with people. For example, each week (Friday, I believe) there is a farmers market outside City Hall. All kinds of office workers and downtown residents shop there. It would be a great place to make the message more visible and to recruit more members for the vigil.

My phrase "almost totally ineffective" was a bit on the dire side and unintentionally sounded critical. What I meant to convey was that it only reaches, for the most part, people already with business at City Hall. I find it amazing that a small but mighty and committed band of people have maintained the vigil this long. I would just like to see the influence and visibility of it increased. And yes, I agree that it serves a purpose of keeping an eye on Ford and reminding him that some voters don't like him. I'm not suggesting stopping the vigil but I think that taking it outdoors now and again would rachet up the pressure on Ford and let a whole bunch of people who have never heard of the vigil find out about the group.

I wondered the same after reading that quote! I'm leaning towards it being a bluff though to throw people off.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get a picture of Joe as the puppy dog who runs along on fishing derbies and soccer games. Wearing his hat and taking himself really seriously, too. I'm guessing most thoughtful people in the city consider him at least a bit of a joke as a journalist, including all the people on that boat.

This argument Is holding increasingly less water. If they need Ford co to let down their guard that means they need evidence of a past crime to surface or are waiting for a new crime to get committed. Short of setting up a bribery sting it's hard to see how the latter one makes sense. And if they don't have enough evidence for past crimes by now it's hard to see how a slip up by Rob will be the missing piece of the puzzle. At this point I'm putting 3:1 odds against charges in 2014.

I think a point in my post may have been misunderstood. I haven't suggested stopping RFMG vigils; I suggested that, for an hour or so each day when the weather is good, that RFMG people take their signs into Nathan Philips Square and engage with people. For example, each week (Friday, I believe) there is a farmers market outside City Hall. All kinds of office workers and downtown residents shop there. It would be a great place to make the message more visible and to recruit more members for the vigil.

My phrase "almost totally ineffective" was a bit on the dire side and unintentionally sounded critical. What I meant to convey was that it only reaches, for the most part, people already with business at City Hall. I find it amazing that a small but mighty and committed band of people have maintained the vigil this long. I would just like to see the influence and visibility of it increased. And yes, I agree that it serves a purpose of keeping an eye on Ford and reminding him that some voters don't like him. I'm not suggesting stopping the vigil but I think that taking it outdoors now and again would rachet up the pressure on Ford and let a whole bunch of people who have never heard of the vigil find out about the group.
There's no reason why both can't be done. Since you have a lot of good ideas, why don't you go to the sit in, help out from time to time and also mention this as an option to Chris? We don't have enough people to be both inside and out, and it's more important to be outside his office.

This argument Is holding increasingly less water. If they need Ford co to let down their guard that means they need evidence of a past crime to surface or are waiting for a new crime to get committed. Short of setting up a bribery sting it's hard to see how the latter one makes sense. And if they don't have enough evidence for past crimes by now it's hard to see how a slip up by Rob will be the missing piece of the puzzle. At this point I'm putting 3:1 odds against charges in 2014.

Yep. I'm not optimistic, but will allow the hope that they're still busy combing through piles and piles of data and it's going to take them a while to build an airtight case.

Given how close it is to the election, I highly doubt TPS will make a move now even if they have all the evidence - the last thing they probably want is wading and getting branded as interfering with that (rightly so). I think if anything happens it will have to wait until after October.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back