4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
These people are no better than that person who left that horrible note at the door of the mother of an autistic child in Durham a while back.

Man, this is the last time I read this thread before bed. :p

I don't think anyone's saying it's not challenging to live next to the group home. Doug says "how would you like it next to your house?"

Well... I probably wouldn't like it. But... so what? Why do I have the right to live in that street and they don't??

We all have to put up with other people in order to live in a society. Maybe someone doesn't like the music you play in your home, which they can hear through the walls. Or the sound of your kids shrieking as they run through the sprinkler in the backyard every weekend, for hours and hours, all summer long.

When you buy a house, you get a house, not the whole street.

+1

So, um, is Doug "The D-Bag" Ford implying that these kids should be housed in the far reaches of Northern Ontario?

quotdoug-fords-comments.jpg

Attachments

• quotdoug-fords-comments.jpg
    quotdoug-fords-comments.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 825
that muskokatodaily.com site is so weird... not letting you grab text. At first I thought it's some fake news site or something and I was just looking at a big jpeg. I mean who do they think they are? Like the whole world is clamouring to steal content from some dinky Muskoka news site, or what?

that line about the security guards with the firecrackers is so weird. either the place is weird or the article is suspect.

love this comment!

Tha BurgerMeister

In the past, if I were to say that Doug Ford Jr. was a terrible person - the CBC would not post the comment because it was more of a biased opinion - now they have to post it because it is fact.

and they did... which basically means cbc agrees that doug is a terrible person... love it. :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...chair-quarterbacks-1.2646795#vf-3011100000337

edit: the comment is actually a few comments below the comment this links to, but i can't seem to get a direct link.

Last edited:
30 Maynard Ave. Gosh, that was so long ago, but I'll never forget those places till the day I die.

The original post mentioned a rooming house. I don't want to be pedantic about it, but I'm going to 'cuz why not.

30 Maynard is not a rooming house, it's a boarding home. It's a bigger difference than you'd think.

That being said, you mentioned that it was a long time ago, so in some regards you might be surprised now. 30 M in particular is actually quite well run, and the operator of that home
is quite a good operator. It's a signatory to the Habitat contract (and has been for about, oh, 15 years maybe? 10?). What that means is that the operator receives a rental subsidy from the city of Toronto. What this does is allow to keep fixed, low rental rates for people with mental disabilities, in addition to providing all meals and toiletries, linens, etc. Also, in exchange for that city subsidy it has to abide by the Habitat Contract, which prescribes minimum standards which are enforced by a 7 person inspection team with scheduled and unscheduled inspections. 30 Maynard is actually pretty well run now. It just has a lot of people in it which can make a difference.

A rooming house is just a standard rental of a room, with none of those safeguards.

Also, there are (and I'm just posting this, not to you specifically), some misunderstandings about the community boarding homes. I remember when it became an issue here on St. Clair, I heard lots of people saying "We're not against the clients, we're saying that the owner doesn't take care of them, he lets them panhandle, there's no curfew, etc". Which means they were against the clients. The owner is just a landlord who has to provide living services, not supportive ones. They cannot by law stop an adult from doing anything anymore than anyone else's landlord can.

Spineless human rubbish*

* Actually meant to be a very vulgar term for whose use I have previously been chastised on here.

MTown, can you PM me the vulgar term you had in mind. I'd like to have it handy next time I get into a discussion about the Ford bros. Thanks!

One of my friends has one 2 doors over in a very nice neighbourhood. I only know about this because there is a mini-bus in the driveway. Also, for some reason their garbage pickup day is different than my friend's. I have no idea how many kids live there but I don't remember there ever being trouble.

There's a group home of some kind on Withrow Park, and a halfway house on Broadview, in Riverdale. Quite possibly others of which I'm not aware. No issues for us in the 15+ years we lived in the neighbourhood.

ThoughtArcade said:
30 Maynard is not a rooming house, it's a boarding home. It's a bigger difference than you'd think.

Thanks, that's not being pedantic at all, ThoughtArcade. As I said, my memories of people, places and events in that area are hardly recent.

But, they are still quite vivid.

So many of the old places and people are gone now. It's nice to hear that 30 Maynard is a decent place to live now. Because same as that place up on Jeffcoat, everybody deserves a good home.

Thanks for your post!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone's saying it's not challenging to live next to the group home. Doug says "how would you like it next to your house?"

Well... I probably wouldn't like it. But... so what? Why do I have the right to live in that street and they don't??

We all have to put up with other people in order to live in a society. Maybe someone doesn't like the music you play in your home, which they can hear through the walls. Or the sound of your kids shrieking as they run through the sprinkler in the backyard every weekend, for hours and hours, all summer long.

When you buy a house, you get a house, not the whole street.

+1000 I'm sure my neighbours didn't enjoy it when my newborn was screaming in the middle of the night, or when I was growing up (in the burbs) the incredibly loud arguments we had (I have 3 siblings, we were all teenagers at once, meant some epic fights). Even now, the street my parents live on is full of student housing. You don't get to pick your neighbours. If they have a problem with the group home, they're welcome to move (and benefit from the increased real estate prices that others have shown exist).

MTown, I saw the twttier conversation that newearthling mentioned (the idiot saying it was actually 30 year olds and everyone else was lying). I think you'll be pleased to know that they got a whole lot of "so what if it is 30 year olds?". As angry as I've been at some people's ignorance and hate, there's been a lot of people restoring my faith in humanity at the same time.

If the man yelling the loudest about property values and character of the neighbourhood is from five streets over, then he's probably just an asshole. And the Fords probably represent that guy better than they do anyone. But those neighbourhoods were designed to be isolated, to keep strangers and difference out, to keep all the traffic and the noise and the garbage to the arterials. People on this forum are talking about human rights complaints. That might have merit if the neighbours were protesting one new family that had a member with physical or mental hardships. But they're not, they're protesting an organization coming in. They purchased in a neighbourhood they thought was exclusively for single family homes. They'd protest a dentist's office moving in. People in my part of Scarborough would write their councilor when the city threatened to put a sidewalk in front of their house.

But I could imagine changes like this could have very real impact on the immediate neighbours, both economically and in their perception of their homes. The term autism seems to be applied to a very wide range of behaviours. These kids are unable to live in their family homes because they're disruptive to day to day living in some way. Although I'm sure much of what was raised at the community meeting is exaggeration based on fear and prejudice, it is possible that not every resident of the home is going to be a benign affirmation of life, and might bring real difficulties with them. If you refuse to recognize that, you once again concede to the Fords their grounds as the only ones willing to stand up for the 'real people'.

Community living probably isn't the ultimate right answer, but part of a cycle. They'll deinstitutionalize, then institutionalize, then deinstitutionalize, etc. Managers will manage, always working some new theory. This practice now seems to mirror that of the TCHC, buying up single family homes, only to have them end up poorly maintained, with one elderly woman living alone on public subsidy in a house in the Beaches meant for a large family. People speak highly of the organization running this place, but it's difficult for me to see the economics of buying up single family houses in a heated market where the value of a house is measured by many more factors than the ability of walls and a roof to keep the rain off your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back