1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 766     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's closer to how I feel, but it wasn't my aim to make you comply with my emotions!

Just say what you think, and pass on your experiences, as you have helpfully done quite often on this thread ...

It's a sensitive subject. And not an easy one. It's mostly Doug. For some reason, although I do get mad at the guy, I can't stay mad at him, or anyone. I find the human comedy / drama too interesting. :D

He reminds me of some of my old friends. I wonder what Rob thinks of all this? Now "the good son" is suddenly seen as the villain. Sort of takes the pressure of Robbie, eh?

Last edited:
Everything and everything? Quit being so hyperbolic.

Let's talk reality here, shall we?

For all you know, they could be LOVELY people, who are TRULY sick of being terrorized in their own neighbourhood.

I was one of those kids who bounced around from troubled home to troubled home while growing up.

Looking back, I feel bad for my former neighbours/neighbourhoods, because I often put them through a great deal of trouble. I was a punk!

Do you know anyone on Jeffcoat Drive? Does anyone here? Because, I don't.

NO ONE really wants *their* house to be the house beside a house like this, so I think it's best to hold back judgement.

I thoroughly dislike Doug Ford, but it really seems like he's speaking for many of the residents on this particular street.

Do folks who've lived on that street deserve to be upset/made uncomfortable because of what's going on there? No, they don't. This seems like a genuine issue.

I once lived at 10 Maynard Ave. in South Parkdale, right beside one of those homes casita mentioned. The rooming house was dirty, noisy. I gather it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I get that. Apparently, some of you don't.

Sometimes ... it really doesn't have anything to do with your dislike for the Ford's, and there's much more to it than you might otherwise think/believe.

To my perspective, describing the neighbours as 'terrorized' could be hyperbolic as well.
This group home wouldn't be the same as the one you were in. These kids have other challenges. And they have only been there 2 months. There's only 3 of them and they have trained staff looking after them. How 'terrorized' could the neighbours be?

I don't think anyone said that they didn't have valid concerns. Just the way it was handled by DF was absolutely terrible, and the comments that the residents made came off very poorly as well.

The street I used to live on was Maynard as well. (I described it a few pages back.) As I explained earlier, the people who lived in those homes never made me feel unsafe, despite their propensity for yelling at 4 in the morning. But that is the point I was making, with saying some of the neighbours might be scared by 'everyone and everything." (And yes, that is an exaggeration, but it was a literary one.:) ) Feeling safe is also a state of mind.

I will agree with you that we don't know the whole story. I would like to know how many times EMS were called. I would like to hear from other neighbours. As someone noted above from reddit, someone else close by never heard anything. The Griffin staff have said they were very disappointed in what DF said, and basically alluded to him lying about things that have happened. (eg:him saying that the kids were criminals when they weren't etc.)

Last edited:
Why? Do you really think there are three developmentally challenged kids running amok and terrorizing the good taxpayers on quiet Jeffcoat Drive?

No, I don't think they're running amok, but I do think there are legitimate issues on that street that clearly need to be addressed.

To my perspective, describing the neighbours as 'terrorized' could be hyperbolic as well.
This group home wouldn't be the same as the one you were in. These kids have other challenges. And they have only been there 2 months. There's only 3 of them and they have trained staff looking after them. How 'terrorized' could the neighbours be?

I don't think anyone said that they didn't have valid concerns. Just the way it was handled by DF was absolutely terrible, and the comments that the residents made came off very poorly as well.

The street I used to live on was Maynard as well. (I described it a few pages back.) As I explained earlier, the people who lived in those homes never made me feel unsafe, despite their propensity for yelling at 4 in the morning. But that is the point I was making, with saying some of the neighbours might be scared by 'everyone and everything." (And yes, that is an exaggeration, but it was a literary one.:) ) Feeling safe is also a state of mind.

I will agree with you that we don't know the whole story. I would like to know how many times EMS were called. I would like to hear from other neighbours. As someone noted above from reddit, someone else close by never heard anything. The Griffin staff have said they were very disappointed in what DF said, and basically alluded to him lying about things that have happened. (eg:him saying that the kids were criminals when they weren't etc.)

I agree Doug Ford's comments come across as insensitive, but I think some are perhaps being a wee bit unfair, too, to the folks who happen to the live on the street who might be feeling a wee bit uncomfortable.

They're probably just like anyone else. ( The individuals in the group home ). You've got to be cheerful because all they need is someone who is cheerful and recognises the fact that they are there, they're human beings and alive, and you've got to cheer them up.

That's your job.

Last edited:
No, I don't think they're running amok, but I do think there are legitimate issues on that street that clearly need to be addressed.

Because no one in the history of ever has used their personal prejudice to prejudge people and then lie or exaggerate about them.

Fwiw, I lived in West Lodge with many instances of people yelling at 4 am, throwing parties until 7 am, lots of police visits, a child was murdered, multiple group homes (yup, even in an apartment building), and I still love the neighbourhood and only moved out if the building because we got pregnant and finally bought a place (just down the street).

I don't trust these peoples perception of the situation, because their words are loaded with prejudice. It also appears that the alleged behaviour of the children didn't come out until they were forced to start defending their statements (per the first article the complaint was police visits, also in another article the writer noted that the police, neighbours and staff if the residence had not been aware of those alleged crimes). The implication that those children were less than the other people in the neighbourhood and shouldn't be allowed to live in society, the focus on property values, etc... Nope, I don't think people are judging those neighbours unfairly.

Last edited:
Because no one in the history of ever has used their personal prejudice to prejudge people and then lie or exaggerate about them.

Fwiw, I lived in West Lodge with many instances of people yelling at 4 am, throwing parties until 7 am, lots of police visits, a child was murdered, multiple group homes (yup, even in an apartment building), and I still love the neighbourhood and only moved out if the building because we got pregnant and finally bought a place (just down the street).

I don't trust these peoples perception of the situation, because their words are loaded with prejudice. It also appears that the alleged behaviour of the children didn't come out until they were forced to start defending their statements (per the first article the complaint was police visits, also in another article the writer noted that the police, neighbours and staff if the residence had not been aware of those alleged crimes).

You don't know these people to know whether or not they're prejudiced.

I'm comfortable enough saying Doug Ford is probably prejudiced, though.

You don't know these people to know whether or not they're prejudiced.

Their statements at that meeting were more than enough.

"“This is not a place for mental people. This is a residential area. Why don’t you build a house out on a farm?†one man said."

"
“The solution is for them to move out. Locate the facility in another place. This is a community for people, not for that. I have nothing against the kids. If the kids need help, they need help.â€"

Last edited:
Seriously? People complaining about a home for autistic kids? Human rubbish....and I don't mean the autistic kids.

Scratch that....rubbish is too polite a word.

Sorry for interjecting. Carry on.

Yeah ... the more I think about it, the more I think you're probably right, actually.

I do understand the point you were making. I was on the "no walmart in Kensington side" and have definitely practiced my own share of nimbyism. There are contexts where it's appropriate, this isn't one, IMO.

Seriously? People complaining about a home for autistic kids? Human rubbish....and I don't mean the autistic kids.

Scratch that....rubbish is too polite a word.

Sorry for interjecting. Carry on.

A home of autistic children can, in fact, be difficult. For everyone involved ... and even those who didn't wish to be involved.

Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back