3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 701     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone on twitter just posted that their uncle x-rayed Rob Ford because he kicked a wall. Don't know if it's recent, or legit, but interested to find out.

I'm not a mental health expert ( they all seem to be on Twitter for some reason :) ) but remembering back to Thistletown, it really wasn't such a bad place. At least, not what I saw of it. They had acres where a guy could wander to his heart's

content. "Livin' off the fat of the land."

Cue: "The Happy Wanderer".

On Jeffcoat, the neighbours seem to prefer they remain inside.

Ever read, "Of Mice and Men"? That's sort of what the situation on Jeffcoat reminds me of. They are being made to feel unwelcome in their new neighbourhood. Like guys just moving from one ranch boss to another.

But the issue is that the way mental health and autism is being "treated" or dealt with has changed. It used to be that people thought putting them into an institutionalized environment was best, now the thought is that they benefit better from being in an environment that's closer to home (so that it makes it an easier transition to being at home). People with autism, personality disorders or mental health issues shouldn't be shoved away in some hospital somewhere where we "normals" (whatever normal is) don't have to encounter them. They are a part of our society and should be a part of our society. Sometimes hospitalization is necessary, but that's usually temporary. People need community, even if they have mental health disorders or especially autism. Suggesting that they belong in a hospital devalues who they are and the contribution they can make to society. Also those kids in the group home were moved into this house so they could stay in their school with their teachers and their friends. This is their home.

Last edited:
This is interesting:
CitySlikr ‏@cityslikr 3h
Any confirmation of anything Doug Ford has said about Griffin Centre? Lack of prior consultation? Late night disturbances? Property values?

Tracey Kent ‏@TraceyKent 3h
@cityslikr city tv did an interview with a neighbor across street. She denied his allegations. Then said street full of nervous older people

Tracey Kent ‏@TraceyKent 3h
@cityslikr when she moved in w/young kids 15 years ago same complainers, gave her hard time because they feared her kids would cause trouble

Last edited:
Someone on twitter just posted that their uncle x-rayed Rob Ford because he kicked a wall. Don't know if it's recent, or legit, but interested to find out.

X-rayed? Can you post the twitter handle?

Edit: never mind, it's everywhere and the tweet has since been deleted.

Last edited:
I guess you are right, Parkdale Petunia.

My memories of deinstitutionalization 30+ years ago and the impact it had on the residents and emergency services in South Parkdale may have affected my way of thinking.

You know, we still refer to that period as "The war years". ;)

Last edited:
I guess you are right, Parkdale Petunia.

My memories of deinstitutionalization 30+ years ago and the impact it had on the residents and emergency services in South Parkdale may have affected my way of thinking.

You know, we still refer to that period as "The war years". ;)

I think (hope anyway) that what happened in Parkdale helped people realize the mistakes that were made. Those people were released with very little support, and crappy landlords took major advantage of them. It really did impact Parkdale in an extreme way, but I think the community is actually better off for it now. Besides, some residents say that the Gardiner destroyed the community way before that did. It cut Parkdale off from the lake, and created a huge barrier. Others complain about Caribana or the Ex. Everyone has opinions about what ruins communities.

Last edited:
@cityslikr
Thinking you can buy your way out of every unpleasant situation you encounter is the very definition of elitism

X-rayed? Can you post the twitter handle?

Edit: never mind, it's everywhere and the tweet has since been deleted.

As an aside, kids these days have no idea of the real world stuff...and yet we keep handing them the latest technology. Uncle will be fired for sure. Hope she gets rocks for xmas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back