588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 731     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreaming of Rob Ford - May 21 - 23

RobFord-Crows-Banner-1024x363.jpg

http://www.crowstheatre.com/product...performance-crawl/crawl-dreaming-of-rob-ford/

Mike Daisey has dreams of Rob Ford
Monologist known for The Agony and Ecstasy of Steve Jobs brings his latest work, based on Toronto's mayor, to the Crow's Theatre Crawl festival.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/stage/2014/04/09/mike_daisey_has_dreams_of_rob_ford.html

Attachments

• RobFord-Crows-Banner-1024x363.jpg
    RobFord-Crows-Banner-1024x363.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,058
Yeah, it's a huge weird web. I was on my phone so I didn't articulate myself well -- one or many of those places (who can tell) no longer exists. I meant it was the same owner, staff, etc, just picking up shop. But I'm honestly not sure.

I've read all those complaintsboard comments before -- it's definitely people who are angry, but it's hard to tell. Rehab, for many reasons can make people very mad at the treatment centers. Misplaced resentment. It's also happening to a related place called "Freedom Addiction" or something like that. It all seems to be leaving a trail of slime.

Definitely take it with a grain of salt though. But on the other hand, Caritas has been around for 25 years, is an INCREDIBLY difficult program -- and has had some people really mad/resentful, but there isn't a single comment/complaint there.

All I can say about the JH rehabs is that *I* wouldn't send someone there.

His personal web site claims that John Haines also runs some other centres. (It says 4 centres and then lists Toronto, Caledon, Muskoka, Georgina and York region - although I note that the web site for the Burk's Falls one says that it includes a detox facility in Toronto, so maybe that is how he can say that there are 4 centres in 5 locations.)

If you hit the links, the contents of the web sites for Muskoke Recovery, Pickerel Lake and Vita Novus are cut and paste copies of each other, and the photos on all 3 are identical, so it does seem that the same place has operated under 3 different names in just a few years.

Last edited:
Based on the reviews and complaints, I would say Ford could very well likely be at the Muskoka Rehab.

http://www.reviewstalk.com/complain...kerel-lake-rehab-burk-039-s-falls-l13736.html

I still don't believe he is in rehab though.

From what I've read about this place in its various incarnations and other locations,it just looks like a spot to warehouse unsuspecting addicts while billing their families huge sums of money. So, not really rehab, just outta town/outta sight.

I just emailed my councillor and told her I was upset that he was drawing his salary while on personal leave and without a doctor's note. I asked if this was something that council could deal with or if it was cast in stone. We'll see what she says.

Dreaming of Rob Ford - May 21 - 23

View attachment 26012

http://www.crowstheatre.com/product...performance-crawl/crawl-dreaming-of-rob-ford/

Mike Daisey has dreams of Rob Ford
Monologist known for The Agony and Ecstasy of Steve Jobs brings his latest work, based on Toronto's mayor, to the Crow's Theatre Crawl festival.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/stage/2014/04/09/mike_daisey_has_dreams_of_rob_ford.html

Following is an except only; from: http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/mike-daisey-agony-and-ecstasy-of-steve-jobs.html

[h=1]How Mike Daisey Is Burying His Apple Scandal With Words[/h]

At the beginning of last year, Mike Daisey was ready to blow up. He had spent years nurturing a certain kind of intense but small-scale acclaim in the theater, performing haranguing, wistful monologues, which he never wrote down, to people who shared his core suspicions about the world — that we’re all ridiculous, that living requires some delusion, and that maybe we’re all just, in our semi-self-aware way, fucked. His critique of the mystical delights of consumer capitalism, The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs, was adapted for “This American Life,” which made Daisey’s poly*morphous, principled outrage at last scalable beyond the cabaret. But then it all blew up in his face. The public-radio broadcast was retracted by host Ira Glass, and Daisey’s self-styled profile as a higher-purpose grouser-crusader beaten to hell because he … well, fudged some parts. Misled. Made some stuff up — you know, in the service of his dramatic ends, or polemical ends, or artistic something.

Which made for a lot of drama. Over a year later, he’s hoping that episode’s all behind him, having apparently worked out the trauma (for what it’s worth, his dad was a shrink for veterans with PTSD) in a series of performances that might seem a bit like onstage therapy sessions (including one on journalism and one on lying), as well as auditing a J-school class at NYU called “The Fiction of Non-Fiction.”

“I’d never had an opportunity to be in a class where I’m on the curriculum,” Daisey tells me, sitting on a bench on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, looking across to imperial Manhattan. It’s not too far from where he lives, in Carroll Gardens, and a place he often wanders when trying to puzzle out performances in his head. Daisey is a big man with a big head — a capacious ramshackle palace stuffed with fact, observation, humor, and lyrical ire. Or at least that’s what comes tumbling out onstage, where he sits, rubber faced, behind a table with notes and a bottle of water, gesturing and dabbing his inevitably sweaty forehead with a handkerchief, all the while holding forth on some indignity or hypocrisy or shaggy-dog irony or other — with the crowd usually transfixed. He’s great at it, reading the audience, surfing their moods, and giving them what they want to know — which was, at least to those who expected him to recount only things that actually happened to him, the problem.

By the time of the “This American Life” broadcast, Daisey been touring for over a year with The Agony and the Ecstasy, an investigation of his own ambivalent devotion to Apple — he still has an iPhone, and kept confusing his with mine — that developed new riffs and insights and anecdotes along the way. The excerpted version was a huge success—a rousing liberal-guilt two-step of flattering the audience by criticizing its complicity — and the show’s most popular podcast ever. But after it emerged that Daisey had embroidered parts of his story and then, worse, lied in the fact-checking process, Glass raked him over the coals. “If you get a chance to do it, you might not want to break up with your public-radio boyfriend on the air and then let him have the final cut of your interview,” Daisey says wanly.

Defiantly heroic in his own head, he never fully apologized, instead attempting a lonely quixotic defense of the higher purposes of art and a counter-critique of the concept of objectivity (even fans inclined to applaud his desire to make a difference squirmed at this). “I think it’s a weird thing that apology is actually like the politics of personal destruction—trying to force people to apologize as a way of dismantling them,” he says. “If I gave it too easily, I think I was really afraid it would not be enough. I was really afraid that all the work, all the emphasis on Apple, on the actual labor conditions, would evaporate.”

Someone here a few hours ago (astutely) observed that Tim Horton's would not wish to get involved politically by releasing the tapes, but I'm thinking now that it's only political if it counters what a politicians is saying. There's nothing controversial about saying "yes, we can confirm councillor ford's account, it was him in the store".

Edit: So they've now done this. I was not suggesting a conspiracy (as some are accused of doing in the following pages) just noting that it could be easily cleared up. Apparently it has. I am not without some skepticism, but at least now its a dispute between two parties I have no reason to doubt (instead of three people I had no reason to doubt and one with a long history of lying to protect his interests).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure any corporation who has been pulled into this morass and has a halfway decent PR firm advising is likely to have been advised to just let this pass with no comment until it blows over.

There is zero benefit to getting involved.

I would bet the security footage has been deleted to ensure it doesn't get leaked by an entrepreneurial employee.

IF Ford is in rehab, I'm pretty sure that they would select the rehab facility with the same sort of diligence that they applied to selecting their website site designer. That is: none. You can bet that he is being "treated" by the quackiest of quacks.

Seriously, can these guys do *anything* in a competent manner?

Someone here a few hours ago (astutely) observed that Tim Horton's would not wish to get involved politically by releasing the tapes, but I'm thinking now that it's only political if it counters what a politicians is saying. There's nothing controversial about saying "yes, we can confirm councillor ford's account, it was him in the store".

It was me.

At the very, very most, they would issue such a confirmation only if Doug asked them to and they were satisfied that it was irrefutably true. (Even then I think it is more likely that their PR people would advise them instead to say that they do not use surveillance recording for such purposes and never comment on such things.) He won't ask anyway, because (a) that would interfere with his absurd contention that he has never lied to anyone (and so whatever he says is to be taken as true just because he says it and therefore there is no need for corroboration) and (b) in fact he lies constantly and it is not true that it was him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back